Game Thread GAME# 1: NUGGETS @ BLAZERS - OCTOBER 23, 2019 - WEDNESDAY, 7:00 (PDT), ESPN & NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Oct 22, 2019.

?

From top to bottom, is Portland's roster this year more talented than last year's?

1. Yes

65.7%
  2. No

14.3%
  3. Too close to call

20.0%
  1. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

My X factor will be Zach tonight how he contain Millsap tonight.

UKRAINEFAN, Darkwebs and kjironman1 like this.
  2. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I almost went with Zach also. He could very well have the biggest impact.

3. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

I CAN'T BELIEVE THE SEASON IS FINALLY UPON US AAAAAAAAH

I'M SO PUMPED

YOU BETTER NOT LOSE AND UNPUMP ME

4. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Fuck the game is tomorrow at 11am for me but I'm not sure I will be able to sleep properly, I'm too fucking hyped

5. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

So bored of Denver.

Propagandist, BlazerBeav and Darkwebs like this.
  6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I feel like it’s going to take time for this unit to really gel considering all the new faces, so any wins against top teams at this stage is a bonus imo.

That being said there are so many things I’m interested in watching. Really outside of Dame and CJ, everything is a question mark. If I had to pick three it would be the roles of Simons, Hezonja, and Skal.

7. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Such a large re-tooling for the Blazers, but those moves had to be made, right? Continuing on with Aminu/Harkless felt like the definition of insanity. They were never going to get very far. I know, WCF but they didn't win a game and they don't even get there without Simons going nuts against SAC in the final game which got them to the 'softer' side of the bracket. Otherwise they get the Warriors in Rnd 2 and it's a sweep in the 2nd round. Still, farther than was expected but with obvious limitations.

As for WHO they got, Baze will at times be something the Blazers haven't had in a long time. A wing defender who can score. I think he will have the most 'consistent' impact. Whiteside will have nights where he looks like the most dominant big man in the league and others that will leave us all pining for Nurk's healthy return.

Mario is the most enigmatic of the group. There are a lot of things he can do that no other Blazer of size can. However, his lack of a consistent outside shot I believe will render him less impactful when playing higher quality teams. Still, there will be some nights when he is a tremendous amount of fun to watch. I like that he is willing to take on the other teams best scorer although watching him go up against LeBron/Kawhi/Harden etc for more than a few trips down the floor could be painful. Great attitude though.

Tolliver....didn't get it. Thought there were other more useful pieces out there. The real growth will likely have to come internally. Collins/Ant are going to have to grow up fast with increased roles. There will still be some tough nights but by the end of the season, they will need to produce in big spots. Not sure that is something to bet the house on for post-season success. Gasol will likely be DNP a lot of nights and you just hope he can give you a few valuable minutes in the Playoffs when his experience and 'slow heart beat' will be so important.

And now for how I believe this team takes the next step: Nurk gets healthy and the Blazers parlay Whiteside +parts into a legit piece. Whether that is Griffin (injury history), Love (please no) or my preference Porter to go with Nurk/Collins/CJ/Dame is what will take this team to the next level in my opinion. Likely that won't make much of a difference this year because I don't think the Blazers will be high enough to have HCA for anything more than the 1st round. Playing the Lakers or Clippers in the Playoffs when you don't have HCA and the league wants the big market in the next round is not a recipe for success.

But given a Playoff run this yearn and then a season together next year, Nurkic/Collins/Porter/CJ/Dame + Ant/Hez/Baze and another bench big could be very dangerous.

Go Blazers!!

8. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Anyone else catch Dame say that Skal was the MVP of training camp yesterday? Stotts agreed when asked for a followup.

Blazers1977, riverman and rotary111 like this.
  9. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yeah. Stotts also suggested he’ll be in the rotation. I like him paired with either Collins or Whiteside. Gasol too once he gets back.

Reep likes this.
  10. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Yes, and Stotts said that with Gasol out Skal would like get rotation minutes. I hope he crushes it like game 82.

11. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

He should get 'em anyway. Skal/Gasol sounds like a solid backup big duo.

Scalma likes this.
  12. Jon

Jon mr. 300

@Darkwebs doing the game thread.... IT FEELS LIKE BASKETBALL IS BACK OFFICIALLY!!! hopefully Whiteside puts Jokic in his place.

13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

After watching the Lakers lose against a Clippers team that has no rim protection or legit big rotation I don't fear them at all....I think we could easily end up with a higher seed than the Lakers....Clippers perimeter defense is brutally good...they are going to be a tough matchup

Dougnsalem, Chris Craig and Darkwebs like this.
  14. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Clippers are a legit contender. Don’t think I can say the same about the lakers. It’s a two man show.

15. Jon

Jon mr. 300

nuggets dipshit fans are talking mad shit on reddit. hopefully we shut them up again.

16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Lolll is this their Finals? Never seen a team/fan base so pressed by a regular season game. Imagine believing you’re a contender and then getting teabagged by a team with no Nurkic and half a Kanter lollll FOH.

Strenuus, Chris Craig and hoopsjock like this.
  17. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

They have a right to talk crap. Objectively, they had the 2nd best record in the conference last year, lost nobody, added a perfect complement in Jerami Grant, and have a highly-touted rookie in Porter. They should think that they're going to own this conference this year (retooled Clippers notwithstanding).

Wizard Mentor and tester551 like this.
  18. Jon

Jon mr. 300

well, they are still on their periods from us beating them in the playoffs, lol.

Scalma likes this.
  19. DDolla

DDolla Well-Known Member

I would like to see the Blazers blow out the Nuggets... Go Blazers!

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  20. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Blazers have won 5 first-games in a row and 9 of the last 10.

I noticed that 8 of those 10 first-games have been at home. I thought that was weird so I checked Denver. While only 2 of Portland's last 10 first-games have been on the road, Denver has had 7 of their last 10 first-games on the road, and tonight will make it 8 of 11. Utah has had 6 of 10 on the road; OKC 5 of 10. I wonder why Portland has been at home so much. Is it just random? Does Portland being in a geographic corner work to their 'advantage'?

Darkwebs likes this.