Game 1

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by BigDaddyAl1973, Apr 30, 2015.

1. chuckd3534

chuckd3534 Well-Known Member

How comical is this one. OV has never been past the 2nd round and here is what Trotz says:

“He’s very similar to Mark Messier,” Capitals coach Barry Trotz said after Washington’s stunning 2-1 victory. “That rare talent that can play a very heavy game, intimidate you with his speed, intimidate you with his skill and his physicality.”

I mean come on, make a playoff run and then say that. We have to beat these idiots. I want to roll them 4-1 or 4-2 tomorrow.

2. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The Rangers need to finally play a 60 minute playoff game. They haven't done that in six games so far. I'm tired of their same rhetoric that they need to shoot more. Stepan said it again last night. Then they get into the games and never do it. Refusing to take dead on shots and instead throwing it to the wings. Shoot and go to the net all game. Enough of this effort in spurts from guys like Kreider. Enough of the whiffs and pucks going off sticks unforced. It's sloppy play game in and game out.

3. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    I totally disagree with you chuck, nothing trots said was off base. Messier had hall of gamers playing with him helping make those great playoff runs. OV plays with a mean dirty streak just like our beloved captain. There is a huge fear everyone that dude touches the puck.

4. chuckd3534

Mess = 6 cups. OV = never making it past the 2nd round.

Agree to disagree Al.

Make ONE long playoff run...ONE...before we start comparing him to Messier.

You don't hear Ranger fans or coaches saying Hank is Brodeur or Roy do you?

5. chuckd3534

Agree Mess. It is annoying now to hear and read they say we have to shoot the puck more. It angers me since they say it and never do it. Next game Yandle will be right back in the slot and pass from right in front wide open. Or MSL won't even look at the net. And Hayes and Stepan do it as well.

Enough BS talk about getting shots and dirty goals. Do it and stop saying you will do it.

6. Rangers94

Rangers94 Well-Known Member

Ok, so after having a night to absorb I honestly feel like MSL needs to go back to the third line, move Miller or Kreider to line one. D pairings need to be McD/Girardi (EVERYTIME OV IS ON THE ICE, NOT LIKE LAST NIGHT) Staal/Hunwick, Klein/Yandle. I don't let Boyle near the ice, and if we had someone to replace MSL out there he wouldn't see the ice either. They're good for their locker room leadership, but on the ice they are both huge liabilities.

7. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Agree with Al. Their styles are not that dissimilar. OV is a tank. I saw a play against the Isles where an Islander made a run at him trying to bowl him over and it was the Islander that fell to the ground, lol. OV is a beast.

To diminish his style/quality because he hasn't had the supporting cast is not fair.

8. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    Umm...Ranger fans call Hank King don't they....King of What?

Again...Messier won a two cups without The Great One...yes he deserves tons of credit, but can you honestly say that any of the Cap teams have the same talent that those Edmonton Teams did or the Ranger ones?

Messier won 1 cup in NY and it was Graves, Leetch, Richter just as much as Messier.
    I think you are underestimating Ovie

But we can leave it at that and as you say agree to disagree

9. chuckd3534

Wait, no one ever said he wasn't a beast or a great player. He 100% is a tank and led the NHL by a MILE in hits by a forward. So yeah he is all those things.

With that said, I think it is crazy to compare a guy who has never been past round 2 to an all-time great with 6 cups. And I also think it is BS to say oh the supporting cast. That is BS for sure. Last I checked the Caps have won the Pres trophy with OV...and wnt nowhere. Had home ice in series many times...and lost. Won their division many times...and lost early. So stop with the oh the supporting cast BS.

Now were his teams as good as Mess' teams, HELL NO, but no team is nearly as talented or loaded as teams in the 80's and 90's pre cap. The NHL is way different now.

So yeah awesome player. A tank and a beast on the ice. But I cannot compare a guy who has never played in the 3rd round to an all-time great with 6 cups. Can't do it.

10. chuckd3534

King is his nickname. You have never seen me say he is Brodeur or Roy, and you never will until he wins a cup. That's just reality.

Just like I cannot say OV is Messier until he makes it past the 2nd round even once.

11. chuckd3534

I couldn't agree with you more on MSL. I didn't like breaking up the Miller/Hayes/MSL line at all. Should have left that line together and the Step line together. Move Fast or Sheppard up.

As for the D, I have no issue putting Hunwick in for Boyle, I just don't think it happens. To me on the PK it should be McD/G and Staal/Klein that is all. As we get into the 3rd if the game is tied or we're ahead, those pairs should be the top 2. Yandle/Boyle should be put out there every 5th or 6th d shift. When we are behind I can see playing Boyle more with Staal since we need to score (and then Yandle/Klein).

Hopefully tomorrow we'll see a little line juggling and MSL back on the 3rd line.

12. Messiah717

They can certainly change things this playoff year but Washington with Ovechkin have a lot of playoff choke jobs on their resume. That's why they're playing up on television how much more of a leader he is this year and all the things he's doing. Forget the fact that this is his tenth season. I'm sorry but he's not suddenly Mark Messier because they won a game seven against the Islanders in round one.

13. Rangers94

I've been saying it for a while now, but there's simply NO WAY I bring MSL back next year. He's done. He has nothing left in the tank. We all thought maybe his injury would help because he'd be rested, but he's not. He looks his age. He's slow skating, he's slow decision making, he's slow shooting. He's at least two steps slower than he needs to be in these playoffs. I wouldn't bring him back for free. And if Zucc's injury is as serious as it possibly seems, we will need to sign a good winger and hope one of our young guys is ready to come up and be productive.

14. Messiah717

As for my morning after the Rangers should be ashamed and embarrassed and that better show with a much better effort in game two. Also, AV needs to stop his blind allegiance to guys like Boyle. Boyle is doing absolutely nothing except hurting this team yet he's out there in huge spots such as the penalty kill which lead to a goal and the end of the game which lead to a goal. I realize they iced the puck so couldn't change up the players in the final seconds but why was Boyle out there instead of Girardi to begin with?

15. Messiah717

I think there's a better chance he retires than the Rangers bring him back.

16. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

I find myself being a bigger Giants fan than a Rangers fan now. Never used to be that way.

17. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

I thought MSL did better after the first period. He got some chances but could not bury one like everyone else. I agree AV had a questionable game but how is his fault that these guys can't finish in the playoffs all of sudden? I am 100% sure, AV will bounce back with a better coached game. Also, Holtby was really good all night. He is a much better goalie at this point than the last time we beat them. Not having Zucc freaking sucks.
    Lets play game 2 already.

18. Rangers94

It wasn't an icing. The Rangers were offsides and changed their line and AV actually put Boyle out there for that scenario.

19. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

AV did not have his best game. I still believe he is a better coach than Trotz though

20. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

But why was Boyle out against OV? Why was Boyle paired with McD last play? AV just cannot do that