Game 1

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by BigDaddyAl1973, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I agree he's the better coach and yes he certainly didn't have a good one last night. Boyle hasn't been good all season so I don't get the obsession. He played right into Ovechkin's hands on Washington's first goal. Get right in his face instead of going backwards and you don't allow him to get off that wrist shot.

2. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    So Hasek isn't Elite since he couldn't get his team to the finals year in and year out.
    Hank isn't elite goalie either...but Dryden was all time best...Billy Smith all time best...

To throw away the fact Messier played with the greatest player the game has ever seen doesn't discount anything?
    Come on..really.

Dan Marino not as good as Dilfer because Dan didn't win a ring.
    Marino not as good as Jim Kelly because he didn't bring the phins to 4 Super Bowls?

No I in team. You can be a great leader but that brings to only a point. Guy is a point a game playoff perfomer.

Are they fluffying Ovie like they did with Crosby, yes a little...but I find Ovie's game to be very similar to Messier

3. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Al with a takedown

4. Pastafazul

Pastafazul Banned User BANNED

All the faith in the world in AV, in that he will come up with a solution for the deep hole the zookster left, I also believe the rangers had too much time off , and the injury to zook and retur n of Klein created some hesitation on the ice,

the individuals that are being called out. Only 1 I believe is justified, Boyle, should see limited time , the rest will come through, Nash plays both ends well, it ain't easy scoring goals in PS play, just ask stamkos, and as far as st Louis goes, that's not the line he has played on, he has something left, he saving it! Lundy played very well.. One thing the rangers did consistently last nite and it ended up costing them the game, play it forward for gosh sakes when the puck was taken deeper into our own zone when they had nothing to lose by attacking with no time on clock for the rangers to do anything, I lost my breath, then bang, game over.

Tuff 1 to sleep on

5. chuckd3534

chuckd3534 Well-Known Member

What? Who said the word elite? Hank is elite. Hasek was elite. OV is elite. I think you are all over the map here Al. No one said the word elite until you mentioned it. Did anyone say those guys aren't elite? If someone did by all means please point it out.

All I said was do not compare OV to Mess when OV hasn't been out of the 2nd round in his career. He is a stud player that's for darn sure, and I'll never take that away from him.

And Hank simply cannot be greater than Roy or Brodeur with zero cups, just cannot happen in this case.

And here is why your Marino/Dilfer comment is off base, you are taking a journeyman player and comparing him to a half of famer. In this situation you are taking an all-time great like Mess with SIX cups and comparing him to a great elite player who has NEVER EVER been out of the 2nd round.

Comparing Dilfer/Marino to OV/Hank is like comparing apples to bowling balls.

And if your point is they play a similar game, sure you can "compare" them in that way, but to me that is not what Trotz is doing. I can also say Andrew Ladd plays a similar game to Messier as well. Sounds good.

But the overall player/level of player/level of leader simply cannot be compared when talking OV and Mess. Let OV get to a CF before we put him in the same conversation as Messier.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  6. NYR31

Chuck is lost on this.

Trotz did not say OV is as great as Messier from a career perspective and was not comparing the 2 from a success standpoint, he was simply stating HIS STYLE OF PLAY is similar to Messier's.

“He’s very similar to Mark Messier,” Capitals coach Barry Trotz said after Washington’s stunning 2-1 victory. “That rare talent that can play a very heavy game, intimidate you with his speed, intimidate you with his skill and his physicality.”

How is this related to career achievements?

7. chuckd3534

I will refrain from the rude comments...I know that is your bag though...LOL.

If you are simply talking about style of play and only style of play, sure they play a similar style. So does Andrew Ladd. So does Lucic.

I do not think that is what Tortz was saying though. I think he was comparing OV to Mess on a much bigger scale than simply style of play. If he wasn't why pick an all-time great like Mess? Why not take a player playing today like Andrew Ladd? Like other big physical scoring forwards? Because I 100% think Tortz was comparing OV as a great and he plays not another great...Messier. And to me OV couldn't carry Mess' jock.

Either way no one threw the word elite around other than Al. No one said OV wasn't elite today, he is.

But that's a takedown...LOL. Good to have you back posting 31. At least you are staying true to yourself...:).

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  8. NYR31

Again Chuck, his DIRECT QUOTE was comparing the style of play. YOU then assumed/thought the comparison was on a much bigger scale, but that's part of your own little world, because nothing in the quote posted makes any reference to anything other than his style of play.

As to why he didn't make the comparison to Ladd or Lucic, i wonder if picking a former Ranger to compare style of play has something to do with them playing the Rangers in this playoff round. Heck, you never know.

But keep telling us what Trotz really meant to say, lol.

9. chuckd3534

I don't think that is the case. I think he picked a player of Messier's level to compare OV to because he feels he's on that level.

We all know you and I don't EVER agree on anything, so let's just add this to the list and move on...LOL.

10. Pastafazul

Pastafazul Banned User BANNED

and i forgot to mention stepan, did he think that was a preseason game last nite?

11. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant

You said you can not compare OV to a player of Messier's stature because Mess has 6 cups. Greg Gilbert has 2 cups and 4 final appearances, does that make him better than OV. That is where I am comparing the Marino with Dilfer and Marino with Kelly. Can you say that OV's teams should have gone further, perhaps. I haven't gone through all the teams that the Caps lost to, well we know 2 of those times were against the Rangers.

The style OV plays, plus in the commentators opinion the current leadership qualities, has him comparing OV to Messier for you to say its way off base to me, in my opinion, would be incorrect.

12. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I think we can stop beating this to death. They're down 1-0 and need to win tomorrow. Who gives a shit about this.

reddog14 likes this.
  13. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

Can they just dress up Messier for the next game and have Messier elbow Ovie in his head? I would love to see that.

14. chuckd3534

I'm with Mess here, we have more important things to discuss/focus on. Although I will say this was a good topic to distract us from being down 1-0.

As for tomorrow, must win game and I would expect this team to show up with a strong effort. AV will coach a better game playing Klein more and Boyle less. Moving MSL off the 1st line. And hopefully someone will get these guys to shoot the puck more and crash the net.

15. chuckd3534

From Brett Cyrgalis. So I guess I am not the only one who thinks it was much deeper than Tortz saying his style of play is similar to Messier:

So that leaves us with what Trotz said on Thursday. The comparison to Mark Messier sounded like such a stretch (or a little dig at Rangers fans) because Messier was the consummate leader. Guy had a ring in Edmonton at the age of 23, and his sixth at the age of 33. The final one was on Broadway in 1994, when Messier’s game looked absolutely nothing like the game that Ovechkin played on Thursday.

But I digress...LOL.

16. Rangers94

Rangers94 Well-Known Member

Awesome to see AV call out the NHL for their bogus officiating regarding the Caps and boarding calls.

17. chuckd3534

He did, but I also don't want him to become a whiner. He said what he needed to, now we need to move on and play hockey. All that matters.

18. jamsim67

jamsim67 Active Member

The Kings last year. It should be simple. Play tough defense, skate hard, hit even harder, and when you get the puck into the offense zone, throw the puck towards the goal and get bodies in front of the net. That's a winning combination ...

19. chuckd3534

Good start to the 2nd round in the East. Both home teams (NYR and Habs) lose very tough 2-1 games. Us with 1.3 seconds left and Montreal in double OT. Tough L's to come back from, but both teams face pretty much must wins in game 2. Interesting to see if both/either team gets it done.

20. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Rangers get it done