Game Thread GAME# 10: TIMBERWOLVES @ BLAZERS - NOVEMBER 4, 2018 - SUNDAY, 6:00 PM (PST), NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Nov 3, 2018.

?

How do you feel about Daylight Saving time?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2018.
  1. Love it

18.6%
  2. Like it

9.3%
  3. Dislike it

27.9%
  4. Hate it

18.6%
  5. No opinion

25.6%
  1. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Blaming someone else for your own lack of effort is pretty weak. I get that Jimmy is a big distraction, but where was the defensive effort from KAT and Wiggins last season? Where was it the year before? The lack of effort on the defensive end was there before Jimmy arrived. He shouldn't have called them out about it publicly, but on the other hand, he shouldn't need to call them out at all. They are both max contract players. They should be putting out max effort at both ends of the court.

BNM

2. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Also, this is an unbelievable defensive play.

Not a foul.

Kawhi got all this pub for his no look steal, but this was more impressive.

3. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Isn't Butler a "Max Contract" guy also? Do you think him playing at full effort would give KAT and Wiggins help defense and solidify that team defense? Then there is Gibson. He doesn't seem the same either.
    Chemistry on a team has huge implications. There is no question about that. This team not only should be better but Jimmy Butler has destroyed what positive they did have. It was a terrible move to bring him there in the first place. The writing was on the wall. This is why a one year rental is never a good idea unless all the cards are on the table from the very beginning.

Hoopguru and calvin natt like this.
  4. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I agree they should be better, one playoff trip after 14 years and as many top picks that the've had, to me make's Neil Olshey shine as a GM. I know Olshey has many haters in here but stand back and look at what he's accomplished with really little to work with besides Dame and a few picks. Is the the best GM hell no, but he's top 6or7.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    calvin natt likes this.
  5. kjironman1

To be fair. He also created a bit of his own mess. So yeah top 10 but not the best for sure. He made some good moves and bad. I'm calling him human even though he talks like a mechanical salesman.

Hoopguru likes this.
  6. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    According to Butler, the chemistry is bad BECAUSE Towns and Wiggins are lazy and have poor work ethics. Until this season you can say whatever bad about Butler as a person but he has been known to be an extremely hard worker which is evident by going from the 30th pick to one of the best players in the league on both ends of the floor.

This isn't advocating for bringing him in via trade (although I still would for anyone other than Dame, CJ, Nurk, Collins, or Simons), but I don't get why Towns and Wiggins should be given any sort of benefit of the doubt when they haven't shown much defensively in the NBA.

bodyman5000 and 1 and illmatic99 like this.
  7. kjironman1

I'm going with bad chemistry all around. Butler seems to have worked hard but he certainly isn't now.
    After reading your post i had a thought and maybe i can give him a bit of a break. What if Butler played hard and the rest didn't really respond? Then Butler gets a major injury playing hard for a team that doesn't and he won't be staying with anyway? That would be a shame.
    The whole situation just stinks from every angle. Minny has lost all power in trading Butler. Butler is losing bargaining power over this. Nobody is going to want to go to Minny and play for dudes that don't want to get things right. KAT and Wiggins are both either going to have to leave or find a way to start competing.
    Like i said. The whole situation just stinks.

8. Gronk Brady

Gronk Brady Well-Known Member

For a team that couldn’t win even 1 game in the 1st rd of playoffs, you have 5 untouchables in a potential trade for a top 15 player in Jimmy Butler??! Wow, just wow lol

TBpup likes this.
  9. kjironman1

Jimmy Butler isn't acting like a top 15 player right now though?

hoopsjock likes this.
  10. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    For someone who mentions CJ's contract a lot and how he's almost "out of his prime", you sure don't mention the ramifications of Butler staying and making way more than CJ while being older and more injury prone or the lack of talent left if he leaves.

H.C. and HailBlazers like this.
  11. Hoopguru

Id have two untouchables. Dame & Collins.

tester551 and Gronk Brady like this.
  12. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    On the Wolves boards last night there were people advocating just cutting Wiggins and eating his $146.5 million contract, that's how bad his effort is.

H.C. and bodyman5000 and 1 like this.
  13. Boob-No-More

No, actually he's not. He wants to be, but he had the misfortune of being a free agent during the summer of 2015 - the year before the new TV deal kicked in that led to the ridiculous contract of the summer of 2016. He isn't just underpaid relative to KAT and Wiggins, based on his production he is underpaid period.

Not unless KAT and Wiggins are willing to put in the effort at the defensive end. They didn't do it last year, before all this controversy blew up. That's on them, not Jimmy.

Yeah, at this point the team chemistry is damaged beyond repair. That's on Thibs. The very first time Jimmy came to him and requested a trade, he should have immediately been working the phones. Even after the second time Butler requested a trade and it went public, Thibs refused to take calls from other GMs and insisted Jimmy was not available. This could have, and should have, been resolved much sooner. That's on Thibs, for not being in tune with what was going on and not acting on it when he found out.

BNM

bodyman5000 and 1 and hoopsjock like this.
  14. kjironman1

Wow.
    We bitch about Meyers. At least Meyers tries to play as best he can.

BBert, Hoopguru and hoopsjock like this.
  15. kjironman1

Maybe Thibs has a little too much EGO going?

Hoopguru likes this.
  16. Boob-No-More

Or maybe he's just a really shitty exec that doesn't have a clue about building a cohesive roster.

BNM

17. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I hate getting up and the commute to work in the morning when it's dark and raining 1000 times more.

Thank god we changed the clocks back to normal time. It was awesome going out into the daylight this morning.

I fucking hate daylight savings time. The entire justification for it during the war to save energy is no longer valid. So why do we still do it?

Darkwebs likes this.
  18. Hoopguru

I think DST is the way to go, makes for longer days with day light, which we need here in the NW.
    And actually, it now is lighter earlier.

19. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Evan Turnover is my least favorite Blazer. I literally have an anxiety attack every time he has the ball. But Seth Curry is the worst player in the Blazers regular rotation. I wish they'd play Baldwin instead. At least Baldwin's defense is first rate.

tester551 likes this.
  20. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Sitting Butler like this to prove the point smells like strategy on the part of Thibs. No?