Game Thread GAME# 12: CLIPPERS @ BLAZERS - NOVEMBER 8, 2018 - THURSDAY, 7:00 PM, NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Nov 6, 2018.

?

What's your opinion on the Red Statement Jerseys?

Poll closed Dec 6, 2018.
  1. Love

12.8%
  2. Like

57.4%
  3. Dislike

23.4%
  4. Hate

6.4%
  1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I don’t like doc rivers but I do agree with what he said about teams like Portland. Their continuity is an advantage early in the season.

That being said, I do think we’re better this year.

2. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I'm seeing a team that goes to a higher gear in the second half and puts opponents away for good. The bench is helping quite a bit. Dame and CJ are coming in fresher after their second half breaks and instead of clawing back a lead after the bench let it slip away, they're instead building on existing leads. It's a new dynamic that we haven't seen since the years of Mo Williams/DWright/TRob/etc. The execution overall is at a higher level than I've ever seen in the Dame-CJ era. I kinda feel like we're primed to take a risk right now, especially given how shaky the rest of the west looks. Just sucks that our ownership is in limbo.

3. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

slow to speak and quick to listen and improve is a solid character trait for sure. Especially under the criticism he's been under.

4. illmatic99

A Butler/Dieng trade is screaming out to me.

5. Hoopguru

after we win the Cship!

6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

My guess, and Olshey kind of hinted at it in the press conference, is Paul probably left the Vulcans/his sister with specific instructions re: payroll, etc. So I don’t think anything changes in that regard, at least not in the immediate future.

The question, who out there could help us without sacrificing our core? Everyone shits on the Afflalo trade but it was the right move at the time, and who knows what would’ve happened if Wes didn’t get hurt.

I like the idea of Gallinari. Meyers and Moe?

Darkwebs, Eastoff, Rozay and 2 others like this.
  7. Hoopguru

Neils a genius!

8. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Funny he considers the Blazer having continuity while I was thinking the whole time that it was beneficial we had a lot of home games to start the season so all our new players would have time to gel. We have a new starter at SF who barely played last year. We have ET basically playing a different roll with a whole new cast on the 2nd team (Nik and Curry) Zach took over the back up center roll from Ed Davis. Meyers and Swanigan are getting more time as well.

My point is I think the Blazers are far from a finished product this year. Jake, Nik, Seth, Meyers, Caleb, and even Moe (since he has barely played) all can get better with more time in their new rolls. I guess we have more continuity than some, none-the-less there is a huge learning process for many of our Blazers right now too.

9. illmatic99

I referenced the Afflalo trade yesterday as well. We were on par with GS before Wes went down in 14-15. Indiana, GS, and SA were probably our only real competition for a title (CLE came on late). We had to make that move to take a risk. If we were to find an analog to the current team, then our movable pieces would be Simons/Trent/Caleb/Jake/picks along with salary fillers like Leonard/Harkless.

Would Harrison Barnes help? I love the idea of Rolo as a backup to Nurk. Perhaps Derrick Favors/ Faried/ Thad Young? I hate that we didn't use our TPE.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Darkwebs and kjironman1 like this.
  10. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Jake may have barely played in actual games but he’s been with the team for three years now. I’m sure there’s a familiarity there. Really, we only have two new rotation players, and if you think about it, one of them hasn’t really found his footing yet. So yeah, there probably is room for further improvement. At the same time, there’s also continuity that other teams just don’t have, and yeah, it is an advantage right now.

11. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I could watch this on a second viewing but i wouldn't like it at all during the game. Way too busy.

12. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Targets will just depend on record, so it’s hard to pinpoint them. If Dallas keeps losing I’d take Barnes. He’s struggled so far, so maybe we could get him for a Myers/Moe/pick package. But I’d rather have Gallinari. I’ve thought for awhile that he would fit with Stotts and looking at the second unit now, he’d be perfect and I want him even more.

Curry
    Stauskas
    Turner
    Gallinari
    Collins

I mean that’s filthy.

kjironman1 likes this.
  13. kjironman1

Last night in the third quarter the starters went to the bench in a tight game up i think 3 points? They came back well rested and up by 11. That is a huge difference this year. Yes they are better without question.

14. kjironman1

Times last night Gallinari was the best player on the court. I agree. I think he would fit really well.

15. illmatic99

Gallo is great when healthy. Last 5 seasons, he has played 0, 59, 53, 63, and 21 games. I don't trust him to be healthy during the playoffs.

BonesJones, Eastoff and Rozay like this.
  16. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Well sure, but why would the Clips deal him? He's putting up 20/game for them, and his contract isn't any longer than Moe/Meyers'.

BonesJones likes this.
  17. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

The bench is more fun to watch than the starting unit imo. The starters are fun when Dame/CJ are playing well but pretty horrific when they’re off. With the second unit, you never know where the scoring is going to come from, in a good way. They’re just more balanced and unselfish. Curry hasn’t really even gotten going yet either, so they’ll probably just get better.

Eastoff and kjironman1 like this.
  18. kjironman1

I'm betting we see a 20+ point game from Curry before this season is over. He will catch fire at some point.

19. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Interesting game for sure. I love it when the Blazers do not shoot well and still win by double digits. You never know when Dame or CJ will go off for a big game. It's nice not to have to depend on it to win.

I will say Aminu played exactly how I want him to always play. 4 shots in 26 minutes. (3-4 from the field, 3-3 at the line, 8 boards, a steal and a block)

20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Well yeah that just goes back to the record thing. If they’re out of contention in February, would they like a late first and a couple expirings? I see the advantage of having two expirings instead of one. They’d also get Moe and Leonard’s bird rights, and they’re both relatively young (compared to Gallo)

Would you give up a late first (plus Moe and Meyers) for Gallinari? One thing I’ve always trusted about Neil is his ability to draft so I’m hesitant to give up picks, but at the same time I’d also trust in his ability to trade back into the second and find value.