Game Thread GAME# 2: SPURS @ BLAZERS - OCTOBER 20, 2018 - SATURDAY, 7:00 PM (PDT), NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Oct 19, 2018.

?

Who should start at Small Foward for Portland?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2018.
  1. Aminu

4.8%
  2. Harkless

58.1%
  3. Layman

35.5%
  4. Turner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Someone else on Portland's roster not listed above

1.6%
  1. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Let be clear about last year Zach is top 5 player on defense in last year draft. A lot of love for Mitchell but if we had draft him last year he would been behind Dame and CJ so he wouldn't had the season like he did. My 26 pick would have been Hart. Kuzma really know one had even heard of him until he broke out in summer league.

2. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I believe @BonesJones was advocating for drafting Kuzma before the draft.

3. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

My point is he's not ready and that's exactly why he needs to play. The thing he lacks most is experience and there's only one way to get that. There's no reason to start him now. Nurk and Aminu are fine as starters. Let Zach continue to back up both the 4 and 5 spots. He'll get more playing time that way and be exposed to more situations. It will accelerate his growth.

Aminu's contract is up at the end of the season. At that time, Neil and company will have a decision to make: resign Chief, move Zach into the starting PF spot next to Nurk, or look for another veteran big he can sign on a reasonable contract. The good news is we have 80 more regular season games, plus the playoffs to see where Zach is at on his development curve. Plus, I like that we've already seen a little of Zach and Nurk together, something we really didn't see last year. I'd like to see more of that between now and the end of the season. Zach may eventually be a modern 5, but right now, I think 4 is his best position, and with Nurk locked up on a reasonable contract, I think Collins will be starting at PF before he's starting at C.

BNM

4. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

That one person that did some good home work on him.

5. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Ok, let's make it official. I officially proclaim Zach Collins ready!

BNM

BBert, hoopsjock and riverman like this.