Game Thread GAME# 24: THUNDER @ BLAZERS - DECEMBER 8, 2019 - SUNDAY, 6:00 PM, NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Dec 6, 2019.

?

Which team do you despise the most?

Poll closed Dec 13, 2019.
  1. Clippers

1.9%
  2. Lakers

69.8%
  3. Rockets

28.3%
  4. Thunder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

They had these issues last year too though, I just don't think it's about the personnel not "meshing" (they meshed for a stretch just fine, why would that degrade?). I'll explain why these issues are more apparent and problematic later on in this post.

Anyway, to respond to your comments about the team getting good looks last night, I believe there comes a time when the offense has to switch gears if certain shots aren't falling. The problem is, this team falls in love with the perimeter shot and relies on it way too much. Have you noticed how the postgame press conference often includes Stotts blaming "not making shots" as the main reason for almost every loss? The issue I have is that the team can't get anything going if they aren't hitting jumpshots. Sure, you take the open 3, but I don't think the team is close to as deliberate as they should be in terms of moving the ball and moving personnel to try to get good looks around the rim. This is important to do when shots aren't falling, but instead they keep shooting the shots that aren't falling, keep missing them, then they blame that for the loss as if they couldn't have adjusted and done something differently.

I also think our struggles this year compared to last year is because last year's personnel did a better job of masking the weaknesses of our style of play. It was better for Stotts, but not betting overall, if that makes sense. I'll try to explain:

1.) Our offense was stagnant and pretty motionless, and would often degrade into basic pick n roll. However Nurkic was an elite roll man last year from a screening, finishing, and short-roll passing standpoint, so when our offense degrading into that, it was still a solid option. However, guard the pick n roll and you stop the entire offense. Now, the pick n roll is easier to stop and the ball movement is still mostly non-existent. Nurkic also was an elite passing C last year, so that helped guys cut a bit and we could freelance with him at the elbow.

Some people will view that as simply not having Nurkic hurts us, which it does, but it shouldn't hurt us as much as it does. Whiteside is a solid pick n roll big but not elite like Nurkic, however the difference between them is exacerbated because of how much our offense relies on pick n roll to bail them out of a stagnant halfcourt set. When we move the ball well and play a good offensive brand of basketball, the difference is pretty negligible, since we don't have to rely on our C being an elite pick n roll big and an elite passing big in order to play a good brand of basketball. We CAN play a good brand of ball with Whiteside instead of Nurkic, Whiteside just doesn't cover our stylistic deficiencies like Nurkic. To me, that falls on Stotts. You shouldn't need an elite roll man and an elite passing C in order for your team to play a solid style of basketball.

2.) We had better defenders. Now, this is a personnel thing, but these defenders helped cover for other deficiencies as well. We've always been bad at defensive rotations, but we never needed to rely on them as much as we do now because our defenders last year covered ground quickly and had length, so they didn't have to be on a string to be effective defensively. This unit does, and they're not. So blame goes to personnel, as well as Stotts because he hasn't been able to get these guys to consistently improve on the defensive end in terms of their defensive rotations. Nurkic is also an elite rim protector (slightly better than Whiteside), but the difference is exacerbated because of the defensive scheme Stotts likes to run. Whiteside is a better option for hedging or showing on screens than Nurkic, Nurkic is much better sagging back on the pick n roll. Stotts runs more of the latter.

CONCLUSION: A lot of people only blame injuries. Obviously, they have hurt us and are part of the issue. Losing Hood hurts, I agree with what you said, he's been phenomenal. But I also believe these injuries have exposed some deficiencies that were already they that we won in spite of in previous seasons.

As far as Melo passing out of the double, it seemed like guys didn't know where to be to best take advantage of the fact that Melo was getting doubled. It was as if they hadn't worked on what they should do when Melo gets doubled, and if they did work on it, it wasn't productive. I'm not trying to make this about me bashing Stotts, but I'll start fresh and be as objective as possible when trying to analyze certain problems with this team, and when I work through them in my mind, they always seem to come back to poor coaching.

TorturedBlazerFan and gatorpops like this.
  2. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Pretty much my feeling also. But i think the very nature of switching gears takes a team that knows each other very well. Now to address this problem last year would be more directed at the team didn't have the personnel to change gears. This year at least until Hood went down they had people who could hit the shot and create. Last year they didn't so much?

This is my point above. They could mask it because after three years together they knew where players were going to be and what they were going to do.

Again this is a personnel issue. It also seems to be working itself out a bit but remember Whiteside was injured in training camp and for much of the first 12 games. I agree though that Stotts needs to continue to make changes that will fit Hassan. Not try to make changes to Hassan to fit Lillard and CJ.

Better defenders yes and they also didn't take plays off. But i have a problem with this in general. Seemed to me Hood and Baze were making up defensive plays just fine. Also anyone watching has seen CJ has improved on the defensive side immensely as well as Dame. Now as far as Nurkic being a better rim protector than Whiteside? I would have to disagree with you there. Dude is swatting shots like flies. Nurk has never had that kind of effect. But he does play tougher and maybe players get less chance to put the shot up in the first place? Bottom line----- Defense is the biggest TEAM part of the game. Again this takes time and communication plus effort. The team doesn't have that yet.
    ***So again to me this falls on beginning of the season with players that are still trying to mesh. Then they lost Collins and added Melo with no training camp. Now they need to add another player. Baze or whomever they pick up?

Here again Melo has only been here a very short time and yes i totally agree with you. They just don't seem to know how to take advantage of that yet. This team has not really had a player that draws that kind of attention and can burn another team if he doesn't draw it.

Don't even worry. You have not. But Stotts is only one man and has been dealing with all the same issues the forum is. Look at how many are just saying "Fuck It!" Tank! I could only imagine being in his shoes at this point? What a very tough season to be the Blazers coach? I guess i just have compassion for the situation he is in. I run large crews. I know what it is to be short handed and then get a plan set and have that taken away. then set another plan and have that idea shattered. Then to do it all again and have to get new guys on the job and then they don't show up to work for whatever reason.
    I cannot sit there in the board meeting and say well Joe's wife in pregnant and jimmy is sick and fred broke his leg. Oh and by the way we need to move the schedule back. Stotts cannot sit in a post game and throw anyone under the bus. He has to say "Shots didn't fall" ... "I thought they brought great energy". " We need to tighten up some things on defense". The minute he goes anywhere else the team will quit on him.

Stotts is not without fault but who honestly can blame the coach at this point is all i'm saying. He started the season down two. Lost Gasol. Now lost Hood. Added Melo and is looking at having to add another player that many say isn't even out there.

TorturedBlazerFan and gatorpops like this.
  3. gatorpops

gatorpops Allen Crabb hits winning shot on Nov24 vs Blazers

Honey-Do's
    This is why I come here - Basketball discussions!!!!!
    This is why I come here - Basketball discussions!!!

4. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Bones is one of the best at making his case for sure. Not much gets by him.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.