Game Thread GAME# 3: BLAZERS @ BUCKS - OCTOBER 21, 2017 - SATURDAY, 5:30 (PDT), NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Oct 20, 2017.

?

Who is currently the most athletic player in the NBA?

1. LeBron James

8.0%
  2. Aaron Gordon

2.0%
  3. Giannis Antetokounmpo

60.0%
  4. Russell Westbrook

26.0%
  5. Zach LaVine

2.0%
  6. Other

2.0%
  1. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

He is very boring to watch imo, i was never into the mutant players (i.e: Durant,KG,Shaq,Lebron even tho i like his passing).

I don't know if he would be so efficient if NBA refs were more pedantic about travel,carry,foul calls without discrimination etc.

SportsAndWhine likes this.
  2. Blazers Roy

That's taking it a bit too far.
    CJ is a better ballhandler, a better shooter from every range, better at floaters and i would also argue that he's a better passer.

Darkwebs likes this.
  3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Well, the name fits

SIeepwalker likes this.
  4. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Yes, Giannis is great. But it wasn't until late last night that I realized that this was one more instance of Stotts failing to strategize to stop a "hot hand". This was a career night for Giannis and there have been many others against Blazers over the years and Stotts just doesn't seem to care to try to stop them; to get the ball out of their hands (and I don't mean to a wide open guy under the basket!). He continues to try to stop them one on one.

blue9 and TBpup like this.
  5. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    It's why I said almost. If you break it down into minutia like 'floaters', than you can say Giannis is better at dunks. CJ might be the better passer, he just doesn't do it very much. In terms of an overall offensive/defensive player, I just don't think it's that close and that is not to take away from CJ's ability to create mid-range shots which is may be the best in the league at.

6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

It took an MVP performance to beat us in a game where I don't think we had too much consistency offensively.

As long as we're in a position to win games, especially on a road back to back, you can live with these type of losses. I didn't see a lack of effort, a lack of talent. We just got beat. So what, on to the next one.

7. Gronk Brady

Gronk Brady Well-Known Member

Agree 100%... you can’t win every game... this was 3rd straight road game, against a very good defensive team, and we almost won. I am very impressed with the start to the season

bodyman5000 and 1, Scalma and TBpup like this.
  8. Blazers Roy

We both agree that Giannis is more valuable as an NBA player, but saying that Giannis is marginally better in almost every single category while ignoring CJ's superiority when it comes to dribbling,shooting and passing is kinda ridiculous, wouldn't you say? I mean, those three things are basically how you rate a player from an offense standpoint.

Also, dunks are not as valuable as the ability to make floaters and runners. That's why Tony Parker was so much better than Nate Robinson.

I know what you meant to say, but i think you just phrased it wrong.

9. Blazers Roy

Lost to the Bucks on a back to back. It also happened to the Whorriors last year.

SportsAndWhine likes this.
  10. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Most encouraging thing to me is Lillards defense. He's the leader, so it all starts with him. If he plays with that kind of effort, it trickles down.

BBert, Darkwebs and SIeepwalker like this.
  11. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    I'm not ignoring what CJ is better with in the least. But let's take passing. CJ is averaging 1.0 assists per game. Granted, it is extremely early in the season but Giannis is getting 5.7. So even is CJ is the better passer, he's not passing hardly at all and hasn't for most of his career....that's just who he is. As for dribbling, yes, CJ is a master at crossovers, ball-handling, etc but all that takes place in isolation while his teammates stand around. He's amazing at it and he often scores but it also stalls the offense and takes the team out of rhythm. Giannis doesn't have to dribble much because he only needs one dribble from the 3-pt line to get to the rim.

An I don't discount the ability to get to the rim and throw it down. It's the highest percentage shot in basketball and the GF is shoting over 67% from the field because he gets a lot of easy attempts. It was like when people said, "all Shaq can do is dunk". Well, he did it a lot and you couldn't stop it and he shot about 99% on that shot. (and there are a lot of reasons Parker was better than Robinson. I think you can agree that was a poor example)

There isn't a GM in the league that wouldn't take Giannis over CJ for multiple reasons. Because CJ can dribble better or has a better floater would get dwarfed but the myriad of things Giannis does better and in a more dominating fashion.

12. Blazers Roy

Wow, why can't you just say that you were wrong in that first post? you said GF is better in almost every single category, but we both agreed that sentence was not right. CJ is more skilled in doing 3 things which define an offensive player.

I have no problem with saying that GF is more valuable overall, but when we break it down into categories such as shooting,rebounding, passing,ballhandling etc - you can't say that "GF is better in almost every single category" because he isn't.

So now you bring assist numbers into this even though you know that has more to do with how team offense works... you just dance around the actual debate.

13. SportsAndWhine

SportsAndWhine Dumbass For Hire

So does yours!

14. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

CJ plays in a pass-heavy offense, much more so than Giannis does. So by that rationale, CJ should be getting a lot more assists than Giannis does and it's not even close (caveat about small sample sizes and all that).

TBpup and Denny Crane like this.
  15. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Just another case where the NBA turns a blind eye to blatant sexual harassment by one of its stars.......

[​IMG]

BBert, Darkwebs and HailBlazers like this.
  16. SportsAndWhine

Giannis is the primary offensive facilitator; CJ is not. The number of passes doesn’t matter in the least if CJ’s role isn’t to facilitate. Also a pass heavy offense results in a lot of assists spread out among many people whereas a single facilitator offense results in a lot of assists for one guy.

Darkwebs, Blazers Roy and Pinwheel1 like this.
  17. SportsAndWhine

Needs a BRAZZERS logo

Darkwebs likes this.
  18. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I have no idea what you are referring to :wink:

19. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Yep. Just and average guy

20. Blazers Roy