Game Thread Game #3:TRAIL BLAZERS @ LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS OCTOBER 25, 2021 - MONDAY, 7:30 PM, ROOT SPORTS, NBATV

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Oct 25, 2021.

1. royo

royo Well-Known Member

In my eyes, that is exactly how learning process looks like.

(Little c/o here: some of you, guys, were telling me, that you don't get my parallels. It appeared I'm in the process of diagnosing asparger. So.. They say I may see things differently)

To the point. When you learn riding a bike, on the begining you fall. At that point you will be slower from A to B, than your friend walking.

When you try to walk after stroke, you will be struggling a lot. You can go thru the struggles or give up after three sessions (like Stotts and Lillars did last season).

If you want to talk to Japanese people you can learn Japanese or just stick to you English.

It is learning process, that, after all, will result with much better outcome.

I believe Blazers are just there.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Orion Bailey, Tince and illmatic99 like this.
  2. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Well, with a little luck he'll still make the top-75 list of 2021-22.

Further likes this.
  3. royo

royo Well-Known Member

You sure it wasn't Stotts' quotes?

UKRAINEFAN and SlyPokerDog like this.
  4. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

I respect that. Fair point

5. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
  6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Not my fault…

7. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

If you don't move the defense your going have to make tuff passes. Player's just can't stand in one spot and have the move around the arc your not accomplished a damn thing. You move the defense by players also moving while the ball moves.

Hoopguru likes this.
  8. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Clearly the Blazers waited too long to trade Damian. He's done!

I'm glad that Chauncy is calling the out for the embarrassing effort last night. They should be embarrassed by it. And it's not necessarily about them learning a new system, it was about effort or the lack thereof.

3 games isn't enough to figure out anything, but they've looked like a team that will have a decent record at home, and an abysmal record on the road. 2 out of 3 games they've were outworked, out played and showed meh effort.

Though, the team under Stotts had a lot of stretches were this was evident too, so, maybe it starts with the players who are the leaders. I swear the amount of times that Nurk goes up soft is beyond frustrating. And CJ being MeJ again, and Dame...wtf is with Dame? He's invisible.

9. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The bench is fine. The starters need to get their shit together

royo and illmatic99 like this.
  10. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    It is a little ironic that the bench has been much better (which SHOULD bode well for the whole season). Simons and Little (esp Simons) has been about the only real positive to take from the season so far. Thank god it's early.

Chris Craig likes this.
  11. Titan

Titan Well-Known Member

It might help for Zeller to stop using his face has a shield.

wizenheimer and Chris Craig like this.
  12. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I wonder if some sportswriter was being clever when he asked about a hangover from the Saturday game? All I am going to say is that I lived in Eastern Europe for 8 years and that I saw that at least one of our players had very slow reaction time yesterday.

13. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I agree player movement would put pressure on a defense. Also, find ways to create an advantage, forcing the defense to help/rotate is basically the #1 goal, and I'm not sure our current ball movement is leading to that.

14. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Yall shoulda rolled with my thread and we woulda won…

#fingerpointingrocks!

15. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Exactly. People like @Tince act intentionally obtuse because they irrationally love Terry. What we had before was not working so the new staff is trying to implement new approaches and address the obvious things to improve upon: predictability, lack of ball movement, ease of shot attempts, etc.

For example, playing more through Nurk doesn't mean just handing him the ball to let him go to work in the post-- it means putting him in the high post and cutting off him, or using him as an off ball screener to open up shooters, etc etc. And these failed attempts now are not solely on Nurk-- it's on guys to cut hard, and shooters to recognize when to move where, and the like. People like to simplify stuff to criticize because they have a narrative to push. Hopefully this mindset doesn't permeate with the team and they stick with it.

The last like 5 yrs we've been among the leaders in contested shots attempted. We make them at a decent clip in the regular season and win 45-50 games. However, even the most staunch Stotts supporter can (won't but should) admit that this is hardly sustainable in the playoffs. Building from scratch takes time. And when it doesn't work, it looks bad like last night. And the dropped passes and careless turnovers just makes it look worse. The key this regular season is attrition-- how much patience do we have to keep trying these new schemes? If you use some of the fans here as a barometer, it's not much.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    SharpesTriumph, Titan, royo and 3 others like this.
  16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

great post!

brooklynballer likes this.
  17. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I disagree with your assessment of me and I know you're incorrect about my feelings towards any previous coach we've had.

We'll have a whole year to find out if the issues last year were roster related and we notice a big improvement in wins/playoff success from the past 5 years. I'm still feeling confident this isn't a contending team and I think Billups is more than a fine coach, I like him, and will eventually be called an apologist of him in a couple years.

The changes we're making shouldn't take years, or even months to implement, and since we ran it back (with a slightly more versitile bench), this will be a good test on what the core issue is. I truly hope you're correct that this is a fantastic roster that can be fixed by someone with a dry erase pen.

If anyone wants to bet we're getting out of the 2nd round, please let me know.

18. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

lol sure

19. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Another problem is there no rim protection. I seen Nance one time try to to protect. Nurk hell I don't know what he'll that guy was doing on defense he look lost.

TBpup likes this.
  20. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

in other words, he's re-thinking his 'run-Dame-off-the-ball' offensive plan of the off-season. Good for Billups to see something isn't working (although Stotts got trashed for going away from his off-season defensive plan last year)

to be fair, Dame being 2-24 on three's isn't explained away by any offensive scheme. That's just a shooter in the middle of a career-worst slump. But most of the time, Dame just hasn't looked as engaged or as in sync as he normally is.

Last year, his assisted FG rate was 28%; this season, so far, it's 17% this season

these are Dame's assisted FG rates over his career:

2012-13 34%
    2013-14 40%
    2014-15 33%
    2015-16 30%
    2016-17 31%
    2017-18 27%
    2018-19 28%
    2019-20 18%
    2020-21 28%
    2021-22 17%

notice how the highest rates are in Dame's first 3 seasons. Well, those were the seasons he was playing with Batum. He was playing with a pass-first facilitator who he wasn't alternating substitutions with like CJ. Evan Turner could pass, but not nearly as well as Batum, and Dame just had a poor mesh with Turner.

IMO, the Billups plan of running off-ball action for Dame falls apart because Portland has no player that can consistently find Dame in good scoring positions. The Blazers haven't had anybody like that since Batum, and that's mainly because of Olshey's infatuation with CJ and Simons, two players who look for their own offense first, and create for others as an afterthought, and don't do that very well. I think Billups had a theory that didn't fit his roster. So it will probably go back to an offense, at least as far as Dame is concerned, resembling the offense Stotts ran. That being Dame in charge, not some scheme

mook and UKRAINEFAN like this.