Game Thread GAME# 34: 76ERS @ BLAZERS - DECEMBER 28, 2017 - THURSDAY, 7:30 PM (PST), TNT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Dec 26, 2017.

?

Which of the NBA Christmas Day Games did you watch?

1. 76ers-Knicks

7.0%
  2. Cavaliers-Warriors

18.6%
  3. Wizards-Celtics

7.0%
  4. Rockets-Thunder

11.6%
  5. Wolves-Lakers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. None of them.

62.8%
  7. All of them.

9.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

thats what Im saying, hes theatrical a lot, but not a flopper... he sells the contact extremely well, but contact is always there
    hes just being smart, not soft, flopper or whatever

2. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    In the sense that the refs pissed off Nurkic when they called a foul on his nose for colliding with Redick's teeth, and then let him play physical with 5 fouls, perhaps.

In the sense that the refs called a lot of fouls instead of swallowing their whistles, perhaps. Although, to me that's on the team that chose the strategy of fouling every time down the court, not the refs who chose to do their jobs.

I thought they might cost the Blazers the game when they didn't call the foul on the in-bounds under the basket, when CJ was obviously held and couldn't get to the pass, resulting in a turnover. Those things usually, but not always, balance out. I didn't see one team getting much of a ref advantage overall.

So, I'm going with no :)

:cheers:

3. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Man! What’s a bunch of up and down, bi-polar, ON the bandwagon OFF the bandwagon mothafuckas up in here. Some should go read your posts when the team was down big........ how do you get so negative about your “favorite” team? It just baffles me. EVERY time!! It’s like you have no faith in these guys. This place is going bananas right in front of my eyes.

DUB, RickyJoe and RR7 like this.
  4. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Assuming that they don't sign LBJ in the offseason, I absolutely agree.... but, I'm not sure whether they will or not.

5. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Honest question for you.....So did you actually watch the game?

BNM

6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

you need to start drinking Sleepytime tea and listening to old Sade albums for every fourth qtr!

BBert likes this.
  7. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

https://www.blazersedge.com/2017/12...t-joel-embiid-blazers-vs-sixers-flagrant-foul

Saw this on RealGM, Nurk praising Embiid, while taking shots at him. They linked to BlazersEdge, which reminded me why I never go there. I understand not everything has to be ultra homer, even on a fan site. It's best for it not to be. But in writing an article on Nurk's "trash talking" after the game, Dave doesn't once include any of the quote in text, and then describes the matchup as such:
    Just comes across to me like going out of the way to mock Nurk, and praise Embiid.

Darkwebs and rotary111 like this.
  8. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    "skillfully applying a skillful nudge" LMFAO

His forearm shiver was so skillfully applied, that it resulted in a Flagrant 1. That's some skill.

What a maroon. What an embezzle.

"blazersedge" LOL ;)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Darkwebs, Boob-No-More and RR7 like this.
  9. Boob-No-More

If you had watched the game the reason for the FT disparity would have been obvious.

If you didn't watch the game, here are the shot charts for Joel Embiid and Jusuf Nurkic:

[​IMG]

Without knowing which is which, which player would you think likely to draw more fouls - they guy who took 15 shots outside of the paint and spent considerable time camped out beyond the 3-point arc, or the guy who took almost all of his shots from within the restricted area?

Obviously, that's Embiid on the left and Nurkic on the right. Given where they were attempting their shots, do you find it surprising that Nurkic attempted twice as many FTs (16 vs. 8) as Embiid? I don't. Guys who attack the rim draw more fouls than guys launching 3-pointers - regardless of the uniform on their back.

For the entire game, Nurkic only attempted two shots outside of the restricted area (and one of those was a buzzer beating half court heave). Of course he drew more fouls than the 7' Steph Curry wannabe.

And Embiid is PHI's most physical player, and last night, was their only player even trying to score in the paint. Although C.J. gets criticized for his ISO mentality, he was constantly driving and attacking the PHI defense. J.J. Redick was doing his usual coming of screens for quick hit jumpers, Two totally different styles of play. C.J.'s penetration is likely to draw a lot more fouls than Redick's jump shots.

If you didn't even bother to watch the game, you really have no legitimate frame of reference to judge the response of anyone who did. If you did watch the game, you probably wouldn't have asked the question. You'd already know the answer.

BNM

10. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Of course

11. Boob-No-More

Then why did you feel compelled to ask the question.? You should have seen with your own two eyes that the Blazers, especially Nurk and C.J. (who combined for 30 of the Blazers' 47 FTA) were attacking the basket and PHI was settling for jump shots.

BNM

Darkwebs and HailBlazers like this.
  12. Mediocre Man

I saw all of that. Just like I see when the FT disparity is the other way. My question, was if otger people saw that as well. You and I actually agree here.

13. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

What the hell is Blazers Edge?

riverman likes this.
  14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

It's a figure skating move perfected by Tonya Harding

15. Mediocre Man

Toe pick

riverman likes this.
  16. Optimistic Bob

Optimistic Bob Active Member

Nurk, Shabazz, Lillard, Davis, Aminu...... that's my starting 5. CJ, Pat C., Collins, Vonleh and Harkless 2nd team.
    I love me some Davis. That guy is always in the right place at the right time and finishes in the paint offence and defense.

jlprk likes this.
  17. Boob-No-More

I think everyone who watched the game saw that. Even Reggie Miller.

I'm pretty sure most people also see the same things when the FT disparity goes in the opposite direction. Jump shooting teams don't get to the FT line. It's not rocket science and it's not subtle.

It's natural for fans to feel like their team should get more calls, and the bad calls/non-calls that don't go there way tend to stand out on their minds, but in general, most people who watch the games can see with their own eyes why one team is getting more calls than the other.

Nothing new here. Jump shooting teams don't get to the line and fans always want their team to get more calls. Not sure why you insist on making it a point of emphasis.

BNM

Optimistic Bob likes this.
  18. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

To be able to remind us daily hourly that S2 posters are blind dumb homers.

RR7 and Boob-No-More like this.
  19. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

lets be honest, we had 46 free throws (CJ 14, Nurk 16), thats crazy, and we were angry cause MIN had 21 free throw against us, Butler alone had 12, POR had 5 and I think even Stotts said something about that MIN game

and yes, referees let Nurk to be physical, he shouldve been fouled out

lets see whats our reaction gonna be when some team has 46 free throws against us

20. Mediocre Man

Not dumb. Just blind homers, or lemmings if you prefer. I would hate to offend anyone.