Game Thread GAME# 35: BLAZERS @ WARRIORS - DECEMBER 27, 2018 - THURSDAY, 7:30 PM, NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Dec 25, 2018.

?

Which Christmas Day games did you watch?

Poll closed Jan 9, 2019.
  1. Bucks vs Knicks

14.3%
  2. Thunder vs Rockets

12.2%
  3. 76ers vs Celtics

26.5%
  4. Lakers vs Warriors

32.7%
  5. Blazers vs Jazz

71.4%
  6. All of them

16.3%
  7. None of them

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Stotts calls a 1-4 flat. Many coaches do. Dame takes over games all the time. When he struggles when he tries to all of a sudden its "Low IQ" basketball even though every star does it.

2. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Basically what the guy was saying about the game last night. Yes your right every star does it. But don't mean it good basketball either.

TBpup and AmirIcon like this.
  3. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Actually i think it's 1-4 Stack
    You run four different looks out of it.
    -Pinball
    -Double cross
    -Scissors
    -Spurs
    Depends on the situation and what you need on the board. They use the "Pin ball" when looking for two, And use "Double cross' when looking for three. But rarely use scissors because they don't have a wing that shoots consistent and they don't use Spurs usually because they don't have a big that is clutch in those situations.

The 1-4 Flat is a quick hit shot that usually only looks for 3's. But i have seen it. Just not last night. This is when they do a simple handoff on the side and curl up for the triple. it's even called 1-4 flat "triple".

Darkwebs and riverman like this.
  4. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

When Dame takes over games within the flow of the offense, involving teammates & multiple threats, that's high IQ. When Dame dribbles down most of the clock and then plays hero ball 1 on 2 followed by another 1 on 2 around the rim, that's low IQ. It typically results in increased turnovers, low percentage shots, bad or blocked shots at the rim with Dame on his back and a 5 on 4 the other way. It's even worse at end of games when fouls are not called much. Nevertheless it sometimes works because of Dame's raw talent. Not "all of a sudden" - I didn't cherry pick the worst situation to post this. I posted when this low IQ style of basketball hit the game winner. Many coaches do it? It took the NBA like 30 years to even begin to recognize the true value of 3-point shooting.

tester551 likes this.
  5. BonesJones

Use TrueBlazerFan Highlights and timestamp what youre talking about.

6. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

The hightlights I see on TrueBlazerFan are about 9 minutes long and looks like it's only showing made shots. Are you talking about something else?

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  7. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Yeah it doesn't do any real kind of breakdown of what happened. You can't find plays that show dame trying to take over. I see what you are talking about almost every game. The Golden State game was a prime example of the Blazers trying to "Not Lose" the game. Slowing it down and giving the ball to dame out top, dribble down the clock and then try to force a shot. What got them to where they were was working the ball into Nurk and seeing if he would draw a double. The Warriors tried to cover him with single coverage and he smoked them. If the Blazers would have continued that eventually the Warriors would have had to double and that would leave someone open. Usually that player is Aminu. Which usually always ends in a train wreck. So i really can't blame these situation on Low BBIQ but rather IMO it's lack of talent. The Blazers need that third threat from outside. In that situation it could be Curry but then you are giving Durant a huge advantage on the other side where the Blazers were using either Harkless or Aminu to cover. Curry is in no way capable of guarding Durant and they would have forced the switch if the Blazers were going to try to put Harkless on him.

Simply Put- The Blazers are not as talented as the Warriors so it's tough to look smart when you don't have talent to make up for mistakes. Luck seems to be the best answer.

Darkwebs likes this.
  8. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

I watched on my DVR. This is all 4th quarter.

5:58 CJ goes 1-1 vs Looney. Durant is ready to help if CJ breaks him down but he couldn't really and CJ misses a low % 2 pointer. Rest of team standing around. This was not a terrible play as it's a mismatch. But it's the type of philosophy that leads to stagnant offense and does not improve the whole team.

The rest of the plays I'm complaining about are all the same thing basically. Sometimes it's Dame and sometimes CJ. Someone (almost always Nurk) sets a screen for Dame (or CJ) well above the 3 point line. Nurk is too far out to be a real threat to roll. He's just trying to free up Dame (or CJ) so they can go 1 on everyone. Meanwhile the other three blazers are standing around doing nothing. The problem with this play is that it really has exaclty one intention and the defense knows it.

4:48 Dame getting multiple screens from Nurk trying to find an opening so he can attack the basket. Other three Blazers standing. The whole thing is telegraphed. Dame is essentially playing vs two defenders who are mostly ignoring Nurk as a threat. When Dame finds no opening at 5 seconds on the clock, he makes a weak desperation pass to Aminu who is in no position and his no ability to create a shot vs Igudala at the 3 point line. Igudala steals. Fast break. No shot for Blazers, instant bucket for GS.

2:50 This was the worst. Similar situation except Dame dribbles the clock down to 11 seconds before any action. Nurk screens again. Defense ignores Nurk and double teams Dame. 6 seconds on the clock. Dame rushes a lob to Nurk in the paint, but its and easy read and stolen. Fast break. FT's for Durant. No shot for Blazers, instant points for GS.

2:30 Same idea except this time CJ is screening for Dame to try to get Curry on Dame, presumably so Dame can go 1 on 1. Rest of Blazers standing around. CJ fouls setting the screen, turnover.

0:60 CJ this time. CJ gets a screen from Nurk. Goes 1 on team. Attempts an ugly looking off balance shot, barely gets fouled. Could easily have been called for a travel. Rest of team standing around.

0:48 Nurk again screening for Dame, but Dame doesn't wait for it. Goes 1-1 vs Igudala, gets up a low % 2 pointer and misses. Rest of team standing around.

0:19 Dame goes 1 on team, nearly loses the ball out of bounds giving GS a chance for a game winner. Shoots over the back board. This wasn't as bad as you do want to ensure the final shot.

3:58 OT Nurk screens for CJ. CJ goes 1 on team. Finds himself caught in traffic and tries a desperate jump pass but travels first.

IN CONSTRAST - The three possessions starting at 3:10 OT were high IQ offsense.

3:10 The whole team was involved. Pass to Aminu, then inside to Nurk then outside to Harkless for a WIDE open three pointer, missed, offensive rebound (passing disrupts defense resulting in more ORB) and another wide open three pointer for Aminu, again missed, but great offense. The next play for Blazers involved a pass inside to Nurk and out to Aminu for another wide open three, again missed. The next play involved multiple passes resulting in an open three pointer for CJ that was made.

The common thread in all the above bad plays are that three Blazers are completely excluded while Nurk is not a real threat either - the telegraphed intention is just a play for Dame or CJ to create their shot.

There yet another way Dame plays that I also consider low IQ which there are no examples in the late part of this game. That is when Dame predetermines to beat his man off the dribble a take it all the way to the rim, no holds barred, one on how many ever defenders meet him at the rim. It's telegraphed. It's a bad play that sometimes works. But there is a fine line. I DO like Dame to beat his man off the dribble and penetrate and attack. But under control ala Chris Paul and Steve Nash, keeping all options and threats open. Threat to kick to three point shooter. Threat to pull up. Threat to floater. Threat to dish to Nurk. Threat to go all the way to the rim. Dame is better when he plays more like Chris Paul and less like Brandon Roy.

And don't think I'm picking on Dame. Dame is a high high IQ basketball player in general, both on the court and in the way he leads the team. Highest IQ on the team.

9. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Well done. The Blazers were having so much success running things through Nurk in the 4th.....and then almost totally went away from it. The ball movement stopped, the shots got worse and the lead disappeared.

10. BonesJones

Highlights on YouTube can't be longer than 9:45. Find a different video then.

11. BonesJones

Theres one possession in the there that es a bad decision from Dame (the step back mid-range at the end of regulation. You should be blaming Stotts for the issues you stated. He doesn't even have a cross-screen set for Nurk.

Dance also rarely predetermines a drive. He simply drives hard and aggressively and drives to score. He has good success with getting to the line by driving so aggressively and finishes a decent amount of those drives. There's also many times where he kicks the ball out. And we hen he doesnt its usually because his only option is a bad/cold shooter. You want him to be like Nash but that's not who he is. He does a great job anyway.

12. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

This really says more about Stotts than it does about Lillard, or any other player imo. Stotts doesn’t say anything, so it’s safe to assume they’re doing what’s asked.

13. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

Yes, pretty much all of that was coach's decision. When Dame telegraphs his attacks to rim that's on him and that's what I was remembering (from other games) when I made my original post.

I don't expect Dame to be Nash or CP3. But I do think his drives are way more effective when he goes slower and more under control, keeping options open, instead of to my eyes deciding from the get go that he's taking it to all the way to the rim. I saw him attacking the paint much more CP3-ish at start of this season so I know he can do it in his own way.