Game Thread GAME# 39: THUNDER @ BLAZERS - JANUARY 4, 2019 - FRIDAY, 7:30 PM, ESPN & NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Jan 1, 2019.

?

Which is your favorite Blazers' jersey this season?

Poll closed Jan 8, 2019.
  1. Association (white)

5.1%
  2. Icon (black)

12.8%
  3. Statement (red "tire track")

10.3%
  4. City (black and gray "ripcity")

23.1%
  5. Earned (red "ripcity")

48.7%
  1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

The one time I've heard of Stotts answering questions, I couldn't go. I have league Tuesday, Wdnesday, Thursday. The BWW events are usually on a Tuesday, from what I've seen.

2. BonesJones

I agree. But our media has been softened by none other than Neil Olshey. The media is either too scared to ask hard hitting questions for that reason, or they're not basketball savvy/don't think of such things.

TBpup likes this.
  3. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Ask for press credentials and be persistent.

4. BonesJones

It's not going to happen. Not gonna waste my time trying.

5. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Sure it can happen. Tell 'em jlprk sent you.

UKRAINEFAN and kjironman1 like this.
  6. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    That attitude will take you far.

riverman and kjironman1 like this.
  7. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    @stampedehero When someone off the bench was lighting it up and contributing, he only got 12 minutes.... and put up 11 points.

Layman came out and hit his first 3 shots in just over a minute. .. then didn't get another look till towards the end of his shift. His shots barely even hit the net. He was obviously 'On'. Why not call something to take advantage of that until he cools off?

It's things like that which are on Stotts.

8. BonesJones

You should ask to be on the team Kingspeed! Oh, you say that wont work or happen? Well, that attitude will take you far...

9. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I'm not so sure they even want or care to figure out how to get Nurk better shots. Stotts has made comments after recent games that are head scratching in regards to Nurk's play.

Stottsfense has worked best when he has a big that can shoot mid range over the top of a smaller defender when switched on a pick and roll like Aldridge and Nowitzki. The only reason it's worked the last few years without Aldridge is that Dame and CJ can be elite scorers in just about any set. In his offense the center is often used as a screener and to crash the offensive boards. That is why guys like Ed, RoLo, and Chandler were so efficient.

What I think is going on with Nurk is that Stotts is trying to fit him in his system that isn't entirely designed for his skillset instead of designing a new system to best utilize his abilities. You can see this a lot in football right now where some of the veteran coaches are being run out of the game because they refuse to adapt their schemes to best utilize their QB. I don't see a lot of creativity or new wrinkles designed to maximize Nurk.

To be fair, it can be difficult to change your offense mid-season but then I have to question why it appeared as if there were going to be new wrinkles in preseason and all of those have now been abandoned. After the playoffs last year it's frustrating to watch them struggle in the same situations without a counter to it. I just think both Olshey and Stotts are being stubborn about CJ having to be our 2nd best player. I think it's time to shape the team and the offense around Dame and Nurk not Dame and CJ. Until that consciously happens I don't think they are even trying to feature Nurk.

10. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Another point about Nurk, why does he almost exclusively have to play with Aminu? They have very little chemistry together. The little Nurk played with Vonleh was when Vonleh started to actually show something. Aminu hardly ever cuts and is used almost primarily as a spot up shooter in the half court sets. Nurk plays better with players who move off the ball like Harkless (when engaged) and Layman (probably our best slasher).

I said this in another thread, but isn't Collins taking a jump one of the few ways this team can improve without a trade? Why aren't we trying to develop a Nurk and Collins bond instead of forcing Nurk and Aminu to play together? It would be different if Nurk and Aminu were playing well off each other but I honestly can't remember a time I thought they complemented each other besides an occasional kick out for an Aminu 3. I can think of numerous times Nurk played well with Vonleh, Harkless, CJ, and Dame.

Why not give Collins and Nurk extended minutes together to at least see if there is something there to build on?

Darkwebs, Labinot41, AmirIcon and 4 others like this.
  11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Because Stotts is only concerned about winning, so he’s going to roll with who or what he feels most comfortable with. Unfortunately we aren’t the right team for that kind of approach. We have players that need to develop if we want to get to where we want to be.

AmirIcon likes this.
  12. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Bringing up Zach just annoys me at this point. I don't get it. 3 first rounders, one was such a whiff he's in the g-league and has never even really resembled an NBA player. One is being treated as a Meyers Leonard clone though his skill set is almost totally different. The other well... who knows about Simons I honestly don't expect to even see him much next season either.

I don't believe the Blazers have the talent to be a championship contender, but I do believe they're more than talented enough to be a tough out for anyone in the playoffs and win a round too. What's irritating is they look like they still haven't figured out how to beat the same things that have beat them before. It really seems like they're on a collision course for another 1st round stomping where we'll just be happy they were competitive in "most" of the games... That said it's not all bad, Dame I believe is capable of going off and winning a round.

AmirIcon, hoopsjock and Scalma like this.
  13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Nothing makes me happier than a Blazer game day! Go Good Guys and fuck all the dumb shit ...I'm going to enjoy the game!

kjironman1 and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  14. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I agree with everything here, except the last part. I don’t think anyone will let Lillard beat them in the playoffs. They will do the same exact thing the Pelicans did and sell out to stop him. They will dare CJ and the rest to beat them. The only counter Portland has is Nurkic, but I’m not confident that Stotts trusts him enough to make that adjustment permanent. It’s crazy, because Nurk is a lot more intelligent with the ball in his hands than CJ.

15. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

The obvious answer: Stotts wanted to draft somebody else, Olshey forced Collins on him, and his lack of interest in developing Collins is the result.

16. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Scalma likes this.
  17. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Where did hcp's post go?

18. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

WHoa, I just went to edit something I just posted and it’s gone?

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  19. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I had such a witty response too. :(

riverman likes this.
  20. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Not cool whoever did that.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.