GAME 4 RANGERS-CANADIANS - SERIES CHANGES TONIGHT

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by mrmel29, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The Rangers responded big time tonight after that stinker in game three. They came out skating and actually hitting. Thursday night should be a heck of a game.

2. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

With all the hitting whoever makes it through is going to want at least 4-5 days off.

3. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

I have a feeling AV is gonna put Glass back in with all the shit that went on even though it was refreshing to see four good lines for once with Buch tonight in the playoffs.

4. Messiah717

Nash has shown up big time in this series. Somebody needs to wake Kreider the hell up.

5. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

Still think the team is bogged down in that 1-2 goal per game style of play. They were better tonight but didn't have a ton of scoring chances. Henrik made the better of the saves tonight

6. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Kreider has been atrocious. Shame he went from a playoff beast to a schmuck in the post season. Hank for having a crap regular season has really proved something here. Honestly, I thought he was more done than not. Same with Girardi. That was a very good win. They actually looked like a playoff team for the first time in 2 years. However, if Kreider and Stepan continue to look like imbeciles it will be hard for them to get out of the first round.

Lindberg, Fast and Vesey continue to look like they will be good playoff guys going forward.

7. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

When I said I was going to post some observations today, he was the guy I had in mind. Having a low hockey IQ is not necessarily a deal breaker when you're as physically gifted as Kreider is. However, Kreider is no longer trying out there. In years past, even at times this season, he would get a flying start and shoot past the defense for a breakaway or, at least, a hard drive to the net. Last night, if you watched him without the puck, he barely moved. He would take a few strides, coast, stop, turn, coast, etc. He passed up several opportunities to lay a hit. He fumbled the puck when he got it. He looks absolutely lost and looks like he'd rather be anywhere else in the world than playing playoff hockey. I dont know if something is up with him but he needs to wake up. Fans at the game were getting on him hard because it's very, very noticeable.

Aside from Kreider, a few other guys who stood out to me in a good way and other observations:

-McDonagh is never going to be in that elite level of defenseman like Weber or Karlsson or Subban or Suter but this guy is criminally underrated on this board. He makes up ground better than any defenseman we've had in years. The puck could be coming in on the opposite side of the ice and McDonagh is on the carrier in seconds. He's the most fluid skater on the team and almost always makes the right play with the puck. He also had an incredible keep-in and pass to Nash on the game winner. Say what you want about him as a captain but he can flat out play.

-While McDonagh may be the best skater, the best stickhandler is far and away Buchnevich. When he has the puck on his stick it almost looks magnetized. He can deke back and forth, change hands, make all sorts of stick fakes, and the puck never even comes CLOSE to slipping off. It's incredible to watch. Then you see a guy like Kreider, who he was playing with, try to receive a pass and the puck goes bouncing away. Buch is really gifted and is going to be an important player for us. He was even mixing it up a bunch with Ott. Hilarious to see Ott try to chirp at him, Buch probably had no idea what the hell that bearded buffoon was saying.

-Aside from Staal's struggles in Game 2, both he and Girardi have had a resurgence this series. They are both incredibly poised with the puck. Miles better than at any point the past year or two. They take hits when necessary and never give up an opportunity to dish one out at the right time. Skjei is a little jumpy at times but has the physical tools to make up for mistakes. Smith has also been very, very good. The weak link again was Holden. You can almost here him say "Oh shit" out loud when he gets the puck in his own zone.

-Lindberg and Fast have probably the best forward chemistry of anyone on the team. Love these two together.

-Carey Price is almost unbeatable with wrist shots from distance unless you have someone stand directly in front of him. However, he is not that great when the puck is in close. He doesnt cover scrambles the way Hank and others do. Both goals were scored in the crease. Instead of making the extra pass we should be looking to carry the puck in close and bang it home. You can tell he isnt comfortable when people are on top of him and the puck is loose.

-Hank is still Hank and everyone here or elsewhere who said they had no confidence in him should be eating crow.

Overall, I like where we're at. No reason we can't go into MTL and take game 5, and if we do we'll be in a very good position.

LETS GO RANGERS.

8. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

We all like little Zucc but he's gotta stop with the forced passes and shoot more. I don't know why he's gotten into that mode so badly this year.

9. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

I actually like that line, but between Zucc and Hayes they never shoot. That is a concern with that line.

10. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

Zucc has been doing that no shooting for years and now Hayes does the same shit. The rangers are the only team that I've watched in the playoffs so far that likes to score pretty goals. That never works in the NHL playoffs. No wonder they never score any goals at home.

11. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

I am happily doing so.

12. Messiah717

The non shooting is very frustrating. To be a goal scorer you have to have a little streak of selfishness in you along with confidence. Good chances get harder to come by in the playoffs so when you have a chance at a good shot you have to take it.

13. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Girardi saved it for the playoffs and has been really good physically, good for Danny because he's getting paid big dollars to do so. Staal too.. CK's been offside a lot too, head's up his ass. Hopefully it pops out soon, he's too good a player to be pulling this crap. Would be a ballsy move by AV to sit CK and play Glass & Buch, both would give better effort. Holden is bad but Klein wasn't much better. I think Holden's been a little more physical and better offensively but Klein's the better defensive player. Win tomorrow then close it out at home. LGR!

14. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Stepan went into last night's game at 37.5% on faceoffs, now at 35.14%. Step's a career 43.3% faceoff guy in the playoffs and never had a postseason over 50%. Not that hard to move to RW if advancing in the playoffs is on the line and the Rangers have needed an offensive RW with a good shot forever.