Game Thread GAME# 43: BLAZERS @ MAVERICKS - JANUARY 17, 2020 - FRIDAY, 6:30 PM, ESPN & NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Jan 15, 2020.

?

If you had a choice between these 2 broadcasts for a Blazers game, which would you prefer to watch?

Poll closed Jan 22, 2020.
  1. ESPN

24.3%
  2. TNT

75.7%
  1. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    You don't think you're biased. That's rich. You can have an opinion and i can disagree with that opinion. You certainly do it plenty of times. Here's a suggestion. Don't take it so personally. :bgrin:

2. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Nah man, there is a huge difference between having a discussion with someone and telling someone their opinion is wrong because it's biased. You're basing my bias on the fact that you don't agree with me about the coaching. I don't say your opinion is biased because you like Stotts.

Neil O. Shyster likes this.
  3. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I wonder if HJ and Cup were to sit around a campfire and sipped on their beverage of choice if they'd enjoy one another's company and conversations, I think they would. They are both very knowledgable and I have a hunch if they were person to person rather than a forum environment, they'd bond!

4. CupWizier

retired

Let it go. You and bones are 2 peas in a pod that don't let things go. I'm done. Have at it.

5. CupWizier

retired
    Funny thing is, we use to agree on most everything at OL. In addition, I have nothing against hoopsjock as he is who he is, just like I am who i am. There are things we agree on and things we don't

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Hoopguru likes this.
  6. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

[​IMG]
    By the way, thanks for the popcorn gif!

7. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I remember you guys used to agree on much at OL.

8. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Feel like what HJ is describing is more of a "show" coverage, which indeed doesn't require any lateral quickness but still relies on good positioning and timing to avoid the handler splitting and staying attached to the screener to avoid fouling or the handler using the bigs forward momentum to beat him and get downhill. Also need to have the speed and change of direction ability to recover.

Think it's fair to be wary of Hassan's ability to do those things consistently or communicating out of that coverage when necessary.

Definitely an option we could go to though, although I'd be more for it if we had Zach out there who's both a great weakside rim protector but also excellent at help recognition.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  9. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Fair enough. When I made that statement, you jumped to a few conclusions that were not accurate: When I wrote that post, you personally hadn't crossed my mind. Also, it sounds like you assumed that I would like to see people on here coach because it would be all bad. I don't know if it would be good or bad, I just know it would be very different, which I would like to see.

Ultimately you called me out on a post responding to someone else (not you), which is totally fine. I'd just like to see you be consistent with your outrage because there are plenty of other people on here who think their playing experience makes their opinions superior to others.

I respect your differing opinion and I'm open to you challenging what I say. I understand there will be times I say things that people won't agree with, but isn't that what we want this place to be?

10. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Here's the site Hoops
    Soft hedge
    Not sure how much better or how much more decisive this can be for you.
    https://www.stack.com/a/defend-ball-screens

It also will show you Blitz/Double team, Hard Hedge, Switch, And Ice Down.

Keep this handy so you don't get confused in the future.

Now if you would like i can also give you some links so you can tell what some different defensive sets are. Just say the word.

11. kjironman1

He most certainly is not describing a "Soft hedge" or a "Hard hedge". But yes i agree this could very well be an option to use at times.

12. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Very well said.

I don't think there is a defensive coverage where a players mobility shouldn't be factored in and I'm surprised this is even a controversial statement.

13. kjironman1

14. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Yeah, that is definitely what I mean by a soft hedge.

I don't agree with that site's definition of a hedge. Sagging the big isn't hedging anything it's just dropping back. Sorry if we're simply being caught up in a wording barrier but this definition of "soft hedge" is not at all what I'm meaning.

1) I would maybe agree with this if the defensive coverage was actually effective but as of right now we're 24th in the league in defensive rating. What harm is there in trying something different? Mixing up coverages just won us a game in Houston.

2) I am super slow moving my feet laterally. I have a tough time keeping someone in front of me on the perimeter. However I am an excellent help defender because I know where I'm supposed to be on the court. Sure if I was faster it would be even better but I'm constantly communicating and navigating teammates through screens or hedging/showing/trapping when I need to. Tolliver has very little lateral quickness and he's been showing on picks late in games, almost like he's doing it out of instinct.

kjironman1 likes this.
  15. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Seriously, what the fuck is your actual problem?

YOU asked ME a question.

I answered YOUR question stating multiple times that it was just my opinion. YOU are free to feel differently, I don't care.

YOU tell ME I'm sensationalizing and biased when I said NOTHING bad about you or your opinion.

But now I'M the ONE who needs to let it go and YOU'RE done?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2020
  16. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Don't take this as a personal attack, but I think we mix up coverages from game to game more than you think. We don't go from dropping to a double at half court or extreme stuff, but we do make smaller adjustments.

17. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

A lot of our problem is we half commit on things in defense I see a lot Whiteside does that I also communication is problem twice in late in the game last night where he hedge and I believe it was Trent they both end on the same person but the problem they ended on the person without the ball.

18. kjironman1

Yep!

19. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Completely disagree, but you're certainly able to believe what you want.

20. CupWizier

retired
    Does someone need a hug?

[​IMG]