Game Thread Game #5 May 6 :Sens vs Rangers

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by BigDaddyAl1973, May 6, 2017.

1. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

In ice hockey, a play is offside if a player on the attacking team enters the offensive zone before the puck, unless the puck is sent or carried there by a defending player. When an offside violation occurs, a linesman will stop play.

Since puck is not sent or carried in by a defending player I still say this should have been ruled offsides. I rest my case not that it does any good at this point. I found it interesting that both the nhl post game crew despite showing all the goals and the rangers own post game show doing the same none of them even talked about or showed the offsides on the game winning goal. A total whitewash

2. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

They collapse around Lundqvist and wide open shots he can't glove or it's pinballing around. Need to stay further out even though normal reaction is to close in.

3. mrmel29

I agree

4. kool1

kool1 Active Member

hard to swallow , it ain't over, this is typical, but giving up goals under 2 minutes, whether its lundy's fault or not, will it be lundy's legacy if the rangers don't win one for him?

5. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I quoted the exact rule in regards to a player with possession of the puck.

RangersFan likes this.
  6. mrmel29

Thats what I did too with regards to what constitutes offsides. Ahh who knows what the hell the rule is its over now

7. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Exactly. Can win still because they have led or been tied most of the series, but we have a ton of numbers against us to overcome.

8. RangersFan

Truthfully, luck and off sides or not don't matter much to me. We are 6-5 in the playoffs, and in 3 of our L's we let up a goal (or goals) late to tie, and then lost in OT. It is unacceptable. The game never should have gone to OT. Game 2 never should have gone to OT. We need to finish an f'ing game. We need to make one more f'ing clear. Hank needs to make one more f'ing save.

Now we are in a terrible spot against an inferior team, in a series we have led or been tied for the large majority of the time, because we simply do not f'ing finish games.

This team should be in the ECF, and when we are not Tuesday or Thursday night, we will have no one to blame but ourselves for not finishing games.

And even by saying that I do give Ottawa credit for being outplayed for a majority of the series, but continuing to battle and get pucks towards the net and will themselves to wins.

9. Messiah717

He now stands behind the bench but I wish this team had a Jeff Beukeboom type on defense for the end of games. Someone who isn't going to be knocked to the ice interfering with his own net minder every time the other team empties their net and has the extra attacker.

10. Disturbed

Disturbed Well-Known Member

Software
    Yeah something is a-miss on this team. Its almost like their approach late in games they panic. Too afraid to make a mistake,etc. We have been seeing the dreaded shell for years but now its not even being confident up a goal with a minute to play and no goalie in the opposing goal. That comes from the coaching staff and organization. Too early to start talking about that stuff but this stings really bad.

I wouldn't have minded losing to the Caps (even though they suck in playoffs every year) or Pitt as those teams on paper are BETTER teams than us. Ottawa is not though. They just aren't. But you know what is the great equalizer in talent gaps? Breaks. And Ottawa has gotten a ton of them. But what can you do, at the end of the day RangerFan is right you have to finish. And the Rangers don't.

Another thing - If they don't come back Pitt will fucking destroy Ottawa. I mean destroy them. Especially if Crosby plays. I don't expect we would beat them either but that series will be ugly.

RangersFan likes this.
  11. Messiah717

Crosby is playing tonight.

12. RangersFan

These late 6 on 5 goals clearly have become a major issue for us. And if we do come back and win games 6 & 7, this series will be one for the record books.

We'd overcome a 2-0 deficit, overcome losing game 5 in a 2-2 series, overcome multiple late game collapses, overcome two OT L's, and win game 7 on the road after the home team went 6-0 in the first 6 games of the series.

This would be an all-time epic series win if we pull it off.

13. RangersFan

Agree with everything you wrote Disturbed. If we won this series and lost to the Pens or Caps I truthfully wouldn't be upset. The honest ceiling for this team was the ECF due to the bracket they were in. Not that there was no shot they could beat the Pens or Caps, but those teams are better. If we lost to one in the ECF you get it and move on. But to lose to this Ottawa team that we have clearly shown to be better than is really unacceptable I believe, and a kick in the balls.

Even if they lost to Montreal I would have felt better because they were better than Ottawa also. We have no business losing this series...NONE. And that is what bothers me most.

And yes, I think Ottawa gets rolled by Pitt. That is a 4-1 series.

14. RangersFan

BTW...Lindberg - 2, Miller -2, and Glass -3.

Skjei played the least amount of time on D. He played 19:02. Next was Staal at 19:42.

We are a 4 line team, but as we get real late I don't understand that 4th line getting on ice with under 2 left. And Skjei pretty much takes a seat on the bench late in games. Weird to me. Tough spot for AV I guess, but I hate seeing Glass out there with 1:30 left protecting a 1 goal lead.

15. Messiah717

For some reason they're having the same problems regardless of who's on the ice at the end. They get collapsed on with everybody falling to the ice.

16. RangersFan

Yeah, you are right. Is it coaching? Do they panic (they seem to so Disturbed may be correct)? Does Hank get tight? Not sure what it is, but very difficult to win in the playoffs that way.

Man I admit I'm in disbelief we lost this way again and trail this series 3-2. Really hard to believe. That's the crusher as Disturbed said. Almost been an impossible path to get to us down 3-2 in the series.

And BTW...Karlsson with 3 assists today and a +3, he was due for a great game.

17. Messiah717

It goes back to Chris Drury and Buffalo with this bunch. The other team pulls the goalie and it's like a five alarm fire out there. Always collapsing on Hank, falling down and making it impossible for him to do his job. Today with Staal on the game tying goal was my last straw with him. How does Turris have Staal end up on his hands and knees in the crease? That was as sickening as it was sad.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    mrmel29 and RangersFan like this.
  18. RangersFan

Thing is you have to figure Staal will be back. I don't see how it is possible Gorton can move Staal and Girardi. I would be happy if one gets moved. And even now a Girardi buyout is not that appealing as I posted last week.

Not sure how it will play out, but AV needs to get it through his thick skull that Staal needs to be the clear 3rd pair LD next season, with McDonagh and Skjei on the 1st and 2nd pairs. And hopefully Smith back or Shatty here to go with those two guys on the R side.

19. RangersFan

Just read that Skjei didn't play the final 5 minutes of regulation. I have to admit I am puzzled by that decision by AV...one that he seems to make late in every tight game. Can he really be that much worse than Staal...really.

Very puzzling decision.

20. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

what is so puzzling. Look at this coach's playoff record. It will tell you all you need to know.