Game Thread Game #5 May 6 :Sens vs Rangers

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by BigDaddyAl1973, May 6, 2017.

1. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

AV is weird. He does trust the kids, you see it with Vesey and Skjei and Buch played a lot of games. Miller is young as is Hayes. So he gives young guys time. But then he also has his favorites that puzzle me. I know all coaches have favorites, but sometimes it goes too far.

He won't play Skjei on the PK. He played Skjei/Smith as the 2nd pair in game 3, but now Skjei is back down. He doesn't play late in games. Puzzled me when he benched Lindberg and Buch for the final 5 minutes of the 2nd, all of the 3rd, and the OT's in game 2. Very weird decisions.

The whole shell thing I really don't get worked up about, look around the NHL and see how many of these games are played when leading in the 3rd period, plus this happened prior to AV, but his decisions on who plays late in tight games is so weird. Like he doesn't have a good feel for the bench and team. And yes the assistant coaches play a big role there, but the buck stops with the head coach.

He lost Smith in game 2 he says. Skjei never plays late in close games. He shortens his bench in game 2 in a crazy fashion. Then today has Glass on ice with under 1:30 left in regulation up 1 (Glass was a -3 today).

Very weird decisions.

2. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I look at it more of what's going on in the execution to end games than who's on the ice. I mean somebody has to be on the ice. It goes from why is Stepan out there. Then it was why is Hayes out there? On the tying goal today Smith was on the ice, got knocked on his ass and ended up completely out of the play and the front of the net. Today's tying goal was just complete garbage luck. A high shot where Lundqvist couldn't control the rebound, Brassard attempts a soccer kick at the puck which you wish went in there since it wouldn't of counted and then it somehow gets in off Glass. Aside from terrible luck as I've mentioned Staal just killed them there. Let Turris rape him, knock him down into the crease and then he ended up on his hands and knees in Hank's way. Also, not for nothing but when does Beukeboom start to take a hit for this?

3. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

Thats why the guy has zero cups. I mean the guy is a good coach and can lead you to the playoffs but when it comes to getting it done in the playoffs, he just makes some questionable decisions that lead to the terrible losses.

4. Stepupstepan

Even with Torts, they did not blow late in many games in the playoffs. When they had a one goal lead at the end of the third period, you knew they will win for sure. With this guy, it's pretty much given that they will manage it to blow it somehow.

5. RangersFan

I don't disagree 717, but I also think it is about the right players. Me personally I would have McDonagh/Girardi and Skjei/Smith on ice late in games...that's it on D. Doesn't mean they cannot mess up or the other team makes a good play, but do you see anyone killing Smith in here or killing AV for having him on ice...nope. Guy has been awesome in the playoffs, the other team will score, but late have the right guys on, not Staal and Holden on D.

Upfront, play the right guys and I'll be okay with the results. Ziban, Zucc, Nash, Stepan, Grabner, Fast would be my main 6 guys. And yes you will need a couple of more, but not in the last 2 minutes. I would have 3 of those 6 on AND only the 4 dmen I called out above on. That is doable late. Then the chips fall where they may.

To have no Skjei ever, and no Smith game 2, and way shorten the bench game 2, then have Glass out and Staal out with 1:30 left in game 4 is puzzling and all over the map I think.

I also think you are over playing the breaks thing a little also. Make a save please Hank. Clear a puck please guys. Stay on your feet please guys. And hold a lead please guys. That is much more of the focus then breaks or no breaks to me.

6. Messiah717

I don't want to hear about Torts. That 2012 run was as frustrating as anything. Two seven game series in the first two rounds that shouldn't of happened and a terrible series loss to an inferior NJ team.

RangersFan likes this.
  7. Messiah717

I really do hate to get on Hank because he has been the franchise but lets also face it. You're judged by your biggest moments and in the biggest spots he has come up short. That's the difference between him and lets say Marty. If things end for him with being the finals against Los Angeles as the only chance he would've gotten he didn't exactly play off the charts in that series.

RangersFan likes this.
  8. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

You need quickness a little more than physicality at that stage. People who can move east-west to try and close gaps.

9. Stepupstepan

I think they had a better strategy with Torts when they were up by one goal late in the third period. With AV, they always have no clue what they are doing.

10. Stepupstepan

I completely agree with this. He has had a great NHL career and the best ranger goalie of all time but he implodes with the rest of the team in the big moments. I dont think the guy is mentally strong enough. He has also thrown many tantrums throughout his career like a little baby which can be also distracting to the team.

11. RangersFan

Agreed 717. Hank has had a great career, but he has also let up a lot of questionable goals in big spots. Again, look at his playoff OT record, it is awful.

Sure some of that is on the D, and lord knows we have put a ton of pressure on him since we have struggled to score in the playoffs since we started this run in the 2012 playoffs, but results are results.

Great goalie. All-time goalie I think. Maybe our best goalie ever. Should be a HOF goalie with a couple of more very good seasons. But he has had some questionable big game moments in big spots. BUT you do need to factor in he played with almost no margin for error with this terrible O for many playoffs. Tough stuff.

12. Messiah717

Personally I look at it this way. The Rangers are my payment for being a Yankees and Giants fan. You like those World Series and Super Bowls? Well deal with this.

13. RangersFan

I am a Mets fan, so I don't have much there. But I do have the Giants at least. But this Ranger thing is so damn frustrating to be trailing this team.

In 2012 yes we should have beat the Devs, but I was not crazy upset after that series. We hadn't done a thing in the playoffs in forever, so an ECF run for a team on the upswing was great.

In 2013 we struggled and were up and down. To win a round and fall in the 2nd was about right that year.

2014 we made the SCF. The Kings were the better team. Darn frustrating to lose how we lost, all those OT games, but we were the clear underdogs in that series. No shame that year.

2015 rivals this year if we lose to the Sens. To get beat by TB after winning the Pres trophy, winning game 1 of that series, winning game 4 to even it up, only to lay a massive egg in game 5, to follow that up with an awesome game 6, and then lay another massive egg in game 7 was a HUGE downer. Rivals this year, and maybe worse because that was the ECF and we were the best team that season.

2016 no shame at all I don't think. Pens were much better and red hot, we never had any real shot to win that series.

2017 maybe a surprise win over the Habs. So one could argue good to even make round 2 against Ottawa, but since we did I will admit to me this would be a crushing blow. I truthfully never saw us having a shot to lose this series. I think the play has shown that. We have no business being down 3-2 in this series. We have led or been tied for all but 10 minutes or so in the whole series through hundreds of minutes. That is why I am taking this one hard. No way should we lose to this Sens team. Really an epic fail I think, and neck and neck with the TB loss in 2015 in terms of biggest downers/kick in the balls during this 6 year run. Also feels like the end of an era if we lose. Double kick.

Not going to happen, but to lose this series to this team should put AV on the hot seat. This really would be a very bad series loss by the Rangers. Almost inventing ways to lose games we should win. Bad look all around.

14. Messiah717

I've enjoyed watching him play and I appreciate where he has taken this organization. His team records, gold medal and everything he has done are well deserved and he has been a great goalie. He has stood on his head in the playoffs as well. I mean they did have a 3-1 lead in game two against the Kings in that series. If you want to win a cup you have to shut that down. In this city the best I can compare it to is Patrick Ewing. Finally got the chance in 1994 and while there's no shame in Hakeem Olajuwon outplaying you. Ewing really didn't have a very good finals.

15. RangersFan

Ewing and Hank is an interesting comparison. I kind of feel like Hank had a better career, and more team success, and also I think he came up bigger in big spots, but it is a pretty similar situation.

Being a Knick and Ranger fan it is tough to see neither of those guys get that ring.

16. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

What about if you're an Oriole or Chief fan?

17. Messiah717

Also, was tough seeing the Knicks get eliminated on a missed Ewing finger roll against Indiana. I think the Knicks best team in that stretch was the one which got screwed with the suspensions from the Miami heat brawl. Ewing would've gotten a very good final chance at the big one. The run where he got hurt on the way to San Antonio was a miracle if anything. That said I would like to see Hank get that final shot so I'll remain hopeful that they can at least make a huge turn around and win this thing.

RangersFan likes this.
  18. Messiah717

It's a bit rough lol.

Ranger71 likes this.
  19. RangersFan

Shots don't always tell the story, but the Caps have outshot the Pens by 59, and have outshot them in every game.

We have outshot the Sens by 12, and have outshot them in 3 of 5 games. And we have led or been tied pretty much the whole series. Multiple 2 goal leads, Ottawa has never led by 2 goals, and barely led in the series.

You could make the case, and it would be a good case, that the better teams in each series thus far are trailing 3-2.

20. NYR2009

NYR2009 Member

This was the toughest loss in the recent past. I totally cannot do anything after this game. I think I am taking it harder than LA loss in SCF in 2014. After MTL loss I thought okay, things happen and we were due to such a loss especially after great record late in the games during Torts' years. Even after Game 2 loss in this series, I though okay as hard as that is we are still a better team, maybe we can beat them. You have that hope. But this one is tough.

Stepan's and Lundqvist fight tells the story. Hank is frustrated and I am pretty sure Stepan is gone after this year and he should be. 6.5M you have to win a fucking face-off.

I am done with Stall. I don't care if he scores 5 goals in the next game. Please get him out of here. I can't stand watching him play anymore. Please buy him out. And AV should be fired and that goes without saying. Looks like Sutter is waiting for playoffs to finish before he makes his decision. Please, Please Gorton get Sutter. I am sure he wants to come to NY.