Game 5: Warriors at Jazz

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Legacy, May 14, 2007.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Warriors gotta find a way to not get so tired... The solution(s): find a quality bench without dumbass players or slowpokes or weaklings. Find different players so we can adjust and go bigger if we have to deal with an Okur or a Boozer. It sucks to jack three pointers when we can get 50% or more in the paint with one of the big guys who can post up and then draw a foul or two while doing this. If he's really good, he'll draw double teams and even make a few sweet passes out of the post to a cutter or a set shooter.

I just don't want to repeat history by going with the same small ball philosophy that works in regular season and maybe the first round, but can't go anywhere when they face some real size and dominance in the paint (rebounds, inside scoring, interior D)

2. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">jason voorhees Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">That would mean getting rid of Harrington. He doesn't fit this team at all. I rather sign both Barnes and MP to mid-level contracts than keep Harrington. If we could get someone like Chris Wilcox or Hakim Warrick, that would be great.

Milsap could've helped out a whole lot in the rebounding battle. He looks like he can run.</div>

Yeah. I'm on the fence there. I mean, when Harrington is hitting those threes, he looks like radar. Sometimes his shot is just unconscious, and it shows as he was 3rd best 3pt% (I think) this year, with a lot of attempts.

But his inside game is atrocious. Small hands, no hops, terrible finish, no rebounds. Ugh.

When he's not asked to rebound (which is when? lol) he can be a great outside scorer. But it's frustrating watching him trying to finish inside, box out and rebound -- even in the Dallas series. I feel bad for the guy, though, because I really like him, and he fits in well as a teammate. I think he has a lot of heart, and a good coachable attitude. I guess if he could lose even more weight, and get some hops, that might change his game around?

I think the big thing to remember is that this team's greatest asset was chemistry. They ran together, rolled together, lived and died together. And it shows.

I don't want to blow it up. I just want to add one explosive, athletic big who can rebound, and most importantly fit in chemistry wise. I like Powell.... could he be next year's Most Improved Player?

3. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    It looks like Harrington is the guy who doesn't fit chemistry wise. He's too individual. Sure he'll have his streaks, but he doesn't brink enough to the table for the Warriors.

I can see why people are frustrated by Barnes and MP, but at least they contribute during crunch time. Al may have had one good game and he just faded during most games. It was frustrating watching the guy when we were being manhandled by Boozer, Okur, Harpring and Milsap.

4. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

While I’m obviously disappointed, I can’t knock the effort or desire that this Warriors team has displayed all throughout the playoffs. I love how all of our players wear their emotions on their sleeve and have such great passion for the game. I honestly don’t care if America starts labeling Golden State as a team full of thugs because we all know they are a team full of players who leave it all out on the court. We make some bad decisions sometimes but I can understand why guys like Stephen Jackson and Matt Barnes were getting frustrated.

I know this has been said by everyone but this team lives and dies by the three. It’s hard for them to match up with a team like Utah when their shots just aren’t dropping. Golden State had a nice run and it’s a shame it had to end this soon. I’m just glad we got this far and even though we’ve been eliminated; we secured a place in history after pulling off such a huge upset in the first round. Like Don Nelson said when asked what this team needs to get over the hump next year, "What we need to get over the hump? I think we got over the hump just by making the playoffs after 12 years. We are over the hump. That was a funny question.”

I have to give some credit to Utah though. They played well all series and really deserve to be competing in the Western Conference Finals. Andrei Kirilenko really stepped up his game after a disappointing Houston series and Derek Fischer also played well despite all of the distractions that are in his life right now. Deron Williams is going to be a great point in a couple of seasons and the Baron-Deron match up was fun to watch while it lasted. Rookies Dee Brown and Paul Milsap played great and they are a very deep team that will give either Phoenix or San Antonio a run for their money.

Congratulations on a great season Warriors and here’s to following it up with an even better one next year! [​IMG]

5. AlleyOop

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Of course, I want Jrich in the lineup, but dang... if we're going with that kind of player, I'd rather have Paul Pierce over Jrich. People wanted to stick with Jrich, but I believe Paul Pierce will forever be the better and most polished power guard who rebounds, assists, scores, and actually makes his free throws. </div>

Personally, I don't trade JRich. He is the heart and soul of this team. He had a solid post season, with 19.7 points 6.6 rebounds, and 1.5 steals, but still struggled at times. Remember he came back from that knee and hand injury pretty quick. Maybe after this summer, by next year, he'll return to star form.

But the biggest thing is that, IMO, right now he's a bargain at his contract -- he made 10 mils this year, while Pierce made 15.

I do think Jrich struggles handling the ball, and passing, but with the way he's improved his weaknesses every off season, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll continue to improve. Remember, he's still young!

I do hear you, though, CR2, Pierce would be an instant star (and an instant go-to guy for shots and free throws). What kind of trade would you propose for Pierce?

6. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    CR2, yeah how can you trade JRich? He's one of the pieces to the puzzle. I think it was you who B&M all last season about chemistry. Well, now we got it and can build on it. Every player is going to have warts. No one is perfect.

7. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

Utah was giving us the game by missing so many free throws down the stretch. We could of easily cut the lead or taken it by scoring. But everytime we had a chance to capitalize on their missed FTs we went down the court and chucked up another 3. Time and time again we chucked up another 3. What happened to the penetrate and dish? Baron looked too scared to even drive it to the basket towards the end of the half. Before the half he was attacking it most of the time and then in the second half he wasn't. All i saw were 1 on 1 baskeballl and that was it.
    Jackson trying to create his own shot by dribbling and crossing but while he kept doing that, he stood in the same spot. He crossed nobody and just ended up shooting jumpers and 3s. Same with Barnes. I like his hustle but i have never seen him shoot the ball in between the free throw and 3. Its either a 3 pointer or a spin move to the basket which very predictable.
    Overall this game was very frustrating. If we just drove to the basket more down the stretch we would of came out with the W. Instead everyone just fell back and watched the guy with the ball dribble dribble dribble...and finally shoot.

8. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

Wellp, the playoffs just got a whole lot less interesting.

Thank you GSW for the very entertaining playoff run.

9. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Looking at the box score again, and watching the game, I have no problem with Matt Barnes tonight. He made a few ugly mistakes. He didn't play like he did against Dallas in the first round. But I thought he played a solid game for the most part. I have no problem with Barnes' performance tonight. He hit some big 3s when everyone else was stone cold.

Simply it was brick-city for the Warriors tonight. They gave it their all in the first half. In the second half there was a "foul" every possession just about and then yeah things got a bit rough out there.

I wasn't expecting Salvatore to officiate this game (or any Warriors game in this playoff). haha.

10. iLL PiLL

NBA really needs to do something about the flopping call. Not just cuz of what happened in general but its really getting out of hand. I thought basketball consists of defense and not flopping. Fisher king of flop, same with the AK47 one on Barnes. Every play we see the same thing when they shoot free throws and for some reason that time AK flies all the way near the half court line. Not just the jazz but same for the warrior. Al doesnt play defense, his only defense is to draw a charge and thats it.

11. AlleyOop

<div class="quote_poster">Gohn Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">It's true. They've always been a good home team. Their fans have a lot to do with it. They were 38-3 and 36-5 during the regular season when they went to the finals. Warriors crowd has been overhyped this season.</div>

I was curious about Utah's crowd, so I did a search. Guys -- let me preface this by saying I am in no way trying to stir up anything, or offend anyone. I just thought the demographics of Utah are interesting, especially considering JRich and SJax's report of discrimination.

As of 2005, the state of Utah is 95% white, and 62% Mormon (black people were banned from the Mormon Church's priesthood and temples up until 1978).

That seems awfully high -- 95% white. I guess I'm used to CA, which as of 2005 was 61% white.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah

Anyway, the one difference that I did notice between the two crowds was that it appeared (from what we could see on TV) that the GS crowd was more racially diverse. Which reflects the demographics, obviously.

12. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Thanks for the ride, the Warriors were the best part of the playoffs this year. Unfortunately, they couldn't close out the games, but at least this group got a feel for what they're capable of.

The Warriors need to find another playmaker when Baron goes to the bench, and they could use another athletic player in the frontcourt who can finish strong.

I agree Jason Voorhees, Al Harrington does not fit this team. He can't dunk in traffic, and he's terrible shooting off the dribble. He still has value in the league, so the Warriors should explore shopping him this summer.

13. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">iLL PiLL Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Utah was giving us the game by missing so many free throws down the stretch. We could of easily cut the lead or taken it by scoring. But everytime we had a chance to capitalize on their missed FTs we went down the court and chucked up another 3. Time and time again we chucked up another 3. What happened to the penetrate and dish? Baron looked too scared to even drive it to the basket towards the end of the half. Before the half he was attacking it most of the time and then in the second half he wasn't. All i saw were 1 on 1 baskeballl and that was it.
    Jackson trying to create his own shot by dribbling and crossing but while he kept doing that, he stood in the same spot. He crossed nobody and just ended up shooting jumpers and 3s. Same with Barnes. I like his hustle but i have never seen him shoot the ball in between the free throw and 3. Its either a 3 pointer or a spin move to the basket which very predictable.
    Overall this game was very frustrating. If we just drove to the basket more down the stretch we would of came out with the W. Instead everyone just fell back and watched the guy with the ball dribble dribble dribble...and finally shoot.</div>

I didn't see the first half continuously so don't know. Jax wasn't getting any penetration, so he ended up getting isos on one side. Same thing happened to Baron, but he was able to penetrate and dish at times. In the second half, it looked like the Warriors shot the 3 and didn't give it Baron.

Basically, the Jazz were a bigger, more rugged team which shut down the paint. The Warriors got some inside shots, but they missed, too. All that lead to them getting tired and frustrated.

14. iLL PiLL

Another thing i noticed that we kept switching on defense. Too many switches and people got confused and let Fisher slip by so many times which is why he was able to knock down so many 3s. This happened in the previous two losses too but i guess they didnt catch on.

15. scania612

scania612 JBB JustBBall Member

actually, if you count karl malone, utah is 96% white.

16. Clif25

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Warriors gotta find a way to not get so tired... The solution(s): find a quality bench without dumbass players or slowpokes or weaklings. Find different players so we can adjust and go bigger if we have to deal with an Okur or a Boozer. It sucks to jack three pointers when we can get 50% or more in the paint with one of the big guys who can post up and then draw a foul or two while doing this. If he's really good, he'll draw double teams and even make a few sweet passes out of the post to a cutter or a set shooter.

I just don't want to repeat history by going with the same small ball philosophy that works in regular season and maybe the first round, but can't go anywhere when they face some real size and dominance in the paint (rebounds, inside scoring, interior D)</div>

Yeah the Warriors were tired, but that is not a surprise by how they played the last three months. This is like the 25th playoff-like game this team had played in a row. They were bound to hit the wall with their energy. It was just frustrating to watch, but not surprising or unexcusable. Improving the bench (adding another PG and maybe another AB type player) would help the team. For all the talk the broadcasters were talking about Utah being inexperienced, well the Warriors aren't so much better in that area.

BTW CR2 I was thinking you would become a Utah supporter after this series, if they won. They are the type of team you seem to always be talking about. The inside-out team, with good chemistry, good defense, and good fundamentals.

17. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Thanks for the ride, the Warriors were the best part of the playoffs this year. Unfortunately, they couldn't close out the games, but at least this group got a feel for what they're capable of.

The Warriors need to find another playmaker when Baron goes to the bench, and they could use another athletic player in the frontcourt who can finish strong.

I agree Jason Voorhees, Al Harrington does not fit this team. He can't dunk in traffic, and he's terrible shooting off the dribble. He still has value in the league, so the Warriors should explore shopping him this summer.</div>

Yup, thanks for the ride. It was a great one while it lasted. I'm not going to forget this season for some time. Still got a bunch of stuff on the hard drive to watch.

We can talk about getting rid of AL but that's for another thread [​IMG].

18. Clif25

<div class="quote_poster">jason voorhees Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yup, thanks for the ride. It was a great one while it lasted. I'm not going to forget this season for some time. Still got a bunch of stuff on the hard drive to watch.

We can talk about getting rid of AL but that's for another thread [​IMG].</div>

Ditto.

The Warriors just needed Al to take advantage of being matched up with Okur. I guess it kind of worked on one side of the ball in the first half but killed the team on the boards. Then Biedrins was in the game for a large portion and Ellis was left on the bench. Oh well, this team deserves a rest perhaps. Getting one upset is tough enough. Getting two is almost impossible. But the Warriors gave it what they've got.

19. Todd$haw

Todd$haw JBB JustBBall Member

Hats off to the Warriors. Thanks for a great season. 45-50 wins next season?

20. Marbire

Marbire JBB JustBBall Member

so boogielew, do you feel stupid yet for all that Derek Fisher bashing?

I was at the game tonight, 13th row... crowd was unbelievable.