Game Thread GAME# 56: BLAZERS @ HORNETS - APRIL 18, 2021 - SUNDAY, 4:00, NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Apr 16, 2021.

?

What do you predict will happen with Derrick Jones this offseason?

Poll closed Apr 23, 2021.
  1. He opts in to play a 2nd year with Portland.

25.6%
  2. He opts out, but re-signs with Portland

14.0%
  3. He opts out and signs with a different team.

60.5%
  1. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Is Dame actually with the team? Hopefully he is in Portland with his family and enjoys some time with the babys

2. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

He was with the team in SA, So I am sure he is with the team today

3. Labinot41

I love that mentality but he should be with his family

4. Labinot41

Hey Terry does something new, a miracle

illmatic99 and Darkwebs like this.
  5. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Interesting. So, CJ, Powell, RHJ, RoCo, Nurk

6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Listen I’m a big RHJ fan, but does Terry hate Jones and Nas or something?

B-Roy, illmatic99, blazerkor and 2 others like this.
  7. Chris Craig

I was thinking the same. Stotts is totally dog housing Jones Jr. Nas should start over RHJ too.

blazerkor likes this.
  8. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

starting Nas over Jones would at least make some theoretical sense, as he’s a better shooter. But I don’t see what RHJ brings that Jones doesn’t. Maybe Jones is still hobbled, idk.

9. Chris Craig

Maybe Stotts trying to add defense to the starting lineup and offense to the bench.

10. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Drop more weight? I doubt he is anywhere close to the 290 he is listed at. I think his weight is fine now but he could use a summer of lifting. His wrist should be fine by then.

11. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Pre-game quotes

TERRY STOTTS – TRAIL BLAZERS HEAD COACH

On what went into Rondae Hollis-Jefferson starting tonight:

“Well, we just signed him to a second 10-day (contract) and with Damian Lillard out, it opened up an opportunity and we’ll see what he can do. It’s an opportunity for him and it gives us a chance to see what he can do, but also, I think he can help us. I think he can defend. I think he can rebound, provide some energy to the starting unit.”

On the Charlotte Hornets tonight:

“They have a couple of questionable (injury) players, so we’ll see, but that doesn’t change how they play. Offensively, they move really well – with and without the ball. They pass the ball – I think they’re second in assists – they’re unselfish and they play on a nice tempo and so I think Coach Borrego has done a nice job of establishing the style of play from their offensive end. Defensively, it’s going to be interesting. Bismack Biyombo and Cody Zeller have kind of played – they’ve played a small lineup. Zeller didn’t play last game; he didn’t play against us. So, it will be interesting what they do against us because I know we shot a lot of 3s and made a lot of 3s last game and we want to kind of get back to that.”

On the Western Conference Playoff race this season:

“It is tight, and then you throw in the play-in scenario so now you have seven, eight, nine and 10 (seeds) vying for positions. Obviously, five and six are trying to avoid falling into the seven-eight matchup, so there are a lot of races to watch, which makes it even tighter.”

Darkwebs likes this.
  12. SlyPokerDog

Pre-game quotes

JAMES BORREGO – HORNETS HEAD COACH

On Miles Bridges playmaking ability and the importance of that with the injuries:

“It’s huge for us and I think as I told him before last game, this is his time to go out there and display his skill level and he’s really turned the corner in that area from last year to this year – it’s been a significant move from last year to this year and you’re seeing it more and more every game. So, extremely important right now to put the ball in his hands, his usage will go up and he’s playing with the ball in his hands in the pick-and-roll – he’s handling, he’s setting screens. He’s handling in DHOs. We’ve posted him a little bit, not as much as we’ve done in the past, but he’s done a great job. He’s able to shoot the ball off the bounce a little bit more now. He’s got the catch-and-shoot right now. So, I think he’s putting on a full display, but to answer your question, the playmaking is the biggest thing I’m seeing out of his growth and development right now. I trust him, I really do. And I don’t think any of us saw that he would make this type of leap. And it’s interesting, when you get an opportunity like this, when you’re forced to do it my hope and belief is that it’s only going to be here and it’s going to stay there pretty consistently. So, he’s a big part of this. He’s got to keep us afloat right now. I think he’s on pace for 90-50-40, I believe. I mean, he’s right there. That’s an elite class right there to shoot .900% from the free throw line, .400% from 3, .500% from the field and I think he’s knocking on the door stop right there.”

On Miles Brides getting consideration for Most Improved Player of the Year

“I’d put him in that category. Obviously, I’m not a voter, it’s not up to me. I have not studied it, there’s a lot of players throughout the league that have shown great improvement from this year to last year. He’s had significant growth. We still got a lot of basketball to play, so let’s see how he continues. If he continues at this pace, absolutely he should be in consideration. He’s done a great job. He’s really worked his tail off and there’s a major care factor, Miles really cares about playing every game. He cares about competing. He cares about winning and really proud of his growth.”

On his assessment of Vernon Carey Jr.’s defense going into a game against Portland who has length:

“Well, he didn’t back down, I think that’s the biggest thing I saw in Brooklyn. Young guys can get overwhelmed by the moment and just get beat up and thrown around down there, but I thought he held his ground. Tonight will be a little bit different. (Jusuf) Nurkic is a load down there, he’s a little bit different than the centers we saw in Brooklyn. So, tonight’s another good test. I think every game’s going to present a different challenge for Vern. Tonight’s going to be a load down there that he’s got to battle. It’s going to be a big rebounding effort by him tonight. He’s got two big guys (on Portland) who can go out there and rebound, so it’ll be a little bit different than the Brooklyn game. It’s a good test. Let’s see what he looks like, how he learns, how he develops, and we’ll get a good test. But what I saw on film was positive. He has a great feel for the game. His timing is there for rebounding. His timing is there for blocking a shot, going to challenge at the rim. I don’t see him yet as a step slow at the rim. Pick-and-roll defense we’re trying to figure that out, where to put him, I’m not sure. I’m working through that right now with the staff. Where do we want to put him in the pick-and-roll, I just don’t have that answer yet. We’re going to figure that out over the remaining the games. But his timing at the rim, the feel, he does have that.”

13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

you waited until game 56 to give us pre game quotes?? Jk.

so pretty much it’s an audition

Chris Craig and SlyPokerDog like this.
  14. SlyPokerDog

Because of covid every franchise is doing press and media differently. Some give out pre and post game quotes. Some don't. A few I have missed because I didn't see them in the inbox until after the game started.

15. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I wasn’t serious. Don’t caaaaare

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  16. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Is it just me, or do we tend to catch teams when they are missing keys players?

lawai'a and Chris Craig like this.
  17. Chris Craig

Here we go

18. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

Let’s go Blazers l!!!

19. Chris Craig

Damn Vernon Carey Jr already 2 fouls

20. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

Again Nurk finessing it did he need to take another dribble?