Game Thread Game #6 BLAZERS @ HORNETS - OCTOBER 31, 2021 - SUNDAY, 4:00 PM, ROOT SPORTS

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Oct 30, 2021.

?

Who is the Blazers best bench player so far this season?

1. Cody Zeller

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Larry Nance Jr

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. Anfernee Simons

28 vote(s)
    62.2%
  4. Nassir Little

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

his turnovers per 100-possessions are the same as last year. Turnover rate and turnovers/36 are the highest since 2015-16, the last time the offense changed (after the Aldridge team broke-up). But all those numbers are skewed by one 6 turnover game. Cut those in half and all his turnover numbers are normal, if not slightly lower

also, if you're looking to pass more, there will probably be more turnovers. Dame's assist/100-possession mark is 11.9 which is significantly more than last year's career high of 10.4. His assist/36 mark is 9.1 when his career mark is 6.6 and previous high is 7.7. In fact, his turnovers/36 have increased over last season by 3.3% while his assists/36 have increased by 19.7%. Fuller context shows that his turnovers are not an issue

so no, his assist levels are not the same and his turnover levels are not bad

Tince likes this.
  2. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    It is tough to change 'effort' even with a change in scheme when a couple of your players were basically allowed to do whatever they wanted (or didn't want to) for the past 7 years. And this was being hinted at last year by other teammates. Old habits are hard to break, especially for vets who are 30+ having done something one way for so long.

It is tough with Dame shooting so poorly, but I see the same type of came from CJ. Many other teammates can be shooting MUCH better than he is, but he will continue to jack up shots while passing very little no matter how many defenders he draws. Simons had 19 points on 9 shots. CJ had 25 points on 24 shots. That is ridculously selfish basketball. It's been that way for years, and isn't changing because Billups is here. He needs his own team where the backcourt isn't taking 45+% of the shots while shooting a combined 34% from the field. This, while the entire rest of the team was shooting 53%.

Brutal!

3. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

It’s a binomial distribution but for large N if you sum or average a random variable from independent observations from any distribution it approaches a normal distribution as N approaches infinity. This is the Central Limit Theorem and as I learned it it’s pretty much the most important theorem if statistics.

Normal Approximations
    Binomial Approximation

The normal distribution can be used as an approximation to the binomial distribution, under certain circumstances, namely:

• If X ~ B(n, p) and if n is large and/or p is close to ½, then X is approximately N(np, npq)
    (where q = 1 - p).

In some cases, working out a problem using the Normal distribution may be easier than using a Binomial.

illmatic99 likes this.
  4. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Bro???
    It's Basketball man.

5. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

He asked. Also statistics can eventually (given a larger sample) answer the question “could this just be random variance or does Dame suck now, either due to injury or some absurd drop off?” From a basketball perspective and as a Blazer fan I’d really like to know the answer!

Fairly-Hard and illmatic99 like this.
  6. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

i got that the premise is based on a normal distribution. my questions was if Dame's shooting truly reflects that. ok CLT then due to large sample size. sheesh, that stuff takes me back.

bobf likes this.
  7. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

I should have put that in green font. I was just messing with you. Kind Of?

bobf likes this.
  8. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

I just ran the slump numbers for Dames career up to last year. Dame has done this (gone 38 or worse for 109 consecutive shots) only 236 times.

9. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

Good to hear, bottom line is Dame needs to reign it in, don't keep throwin up so many 3's and forced drives, you got guys around you shooting the ball very, very well,. Let the game come to you, take the quality shots if they are there and don't try to do it all yourself - you have team mates playing well. In time you will get your shot and confidence in it back - but damn it take GOOD shots.

10. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    STILL WAITING