Game Thread GAME# 61: BLAZERS @ HAWKS - FEBRUARY 29, 2020 - SATURDAY, 4:30, NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Feb 27, 2020.

?

What do you feel are the chances the Blazers make the Playoffs?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2020.
  1. 100%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 99% to 90%

4.0%
  3. 89% to 80%

2.0%
  4. 79% to 70%

6.0%
  5. 69% to 60%

4.0%
  6. 59% to 50%

2.0%
  7. 49% to 40%

8.0%
  8. 39% to 30%

20.0%
  9. 20% to 1%

38.0%
  10. 0%

16.0%
  1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Who cares, he's the outlier. That's the problem.

hoopsjock likes this.
  2. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

The assessment that I questioned was when someone (can't remember who) said "Stotts teams never improve defensively throughout the season." or something along those lines. I took that to mean over the course of his career in Portland and I can't say in comparison to other teams that I can say this is a true statement.

I think this current team sucks on defense... And offense.

3. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Sorry, I thought you were saying that because Trent watched film on his own that's why he got better on defense. I think I took what you said wrong.

I don't watch enough teams/players at a micro-level anymore to judge what the average improvement during the course of a season should be and compare it to Portland. Our defense stinks, we agree on that for sure.

4. BonesJones

Don't you find it ironic that the one player that has come out and said that he watched film on his own is the only one who has improved this year?
    Don't you find it ironic that the Blazers media team makes a big deal out of any defensive-minded practice the Blazers have?
    Don't you find it ironic that the Blazers haven't fixed a number of defensive mental mistakes that they've been making all season?
    Don't you find it ironic how Stotts usually simply attributes "shot-making" to winning/losing games in his postgame press conferences?
    Don't you find it ironic how no players credit a member of the coaching staff with defensive improvement when players on other teams across the league do?
    Don't you find it ironic that we run one defensive scheme 99% of the time other than a lazy 2-3 zone?
    Don't you find it ironic that most players won't get benched no matter how poorly they're playing defense?

Seems like there's a lot there for them to all be coincidences... I think Stotts doesn't value defense enough.

Darkwebs, tester551, Strenuus and 4 others like this.
  5. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I do understand what you are trying to say. I happen to disagree.
    First 1M has absolutely improved on defense. To say he didn't is flat out wrong. Next Trent Improved on defense. Saying the only reason is because he looked at film again is flat out wrong. Skal Absolutely improved on defense. Saying he didn't is flat out wrong again. Little also has started to come around saying he is not better than the beginning of the season is again wrong. Biggie over the last two weeks has absolutely improved on both sides of the court. Gabriel actually is being effective at times without fouling though not much yet? Lets see where he is in a month and if they keep him where he is after a training camp and summer league? Over the last few season various players improved. Pat Con, Jake Layman and Seth Curry to name a few.

Here is where i also disagree. Did you want to see Melo improve? Really? You already know Lillard did indeed improve. CJ this year has been on again off again but there is no question his blocks and steals are up. I think his overall defensive rating is down but that might be because of the players he has on the court with him? Ariza is Ariza he is who he is.
    Then you want to go all in on who is playing. If in 17' the only reason they got better was because of Nurkic????
    I guess the only person that improved the defense over the years was Olshey? Or the schedule makers?
    The original question was about the Blazers overall effectiveness throughout a season getting better or worse but you feel it's not improvement based on players. Even worse you doubled down on it with this. So this draws me to believe that you do indeed feel this has something to do with the team as a whole?
    Now you want to say we are talking about something else?

There is also another that has taken this road. Collins has here is a story from before the season about working on film. He has since delved even more into it.
    https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/...-has-long-been-preparing-for-this-moment.html
    It seems Nurkic as well as Hood are on the film train also. Correct me if i'm wrong but the Blazers employ a coach named Jim Moran he was a video coordinator. And then that guy who is always holding the Ipad with the videos running. That is Jannero Pargo.
    Then of course there is Johnathan Yim. He is about as good a video coordinator as there is out there. The only way these players have an opportunity to study film is because of the coaching staff. To say any player did this all on his own again speaks volumes about the poster.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  6. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

@kjironman1 i like your retort there about the assistant coaches but is it really necessary to add the low key personal attack at the end?

@Tince has been acknowledged for his ability to disagree respectfully, everyone here could take a page out of his book.

7. kjironman1

In this case i believe you are correct. That could be construed as a personal attack. I didn't feel it was. Saying these things about the entire Coaching staff speaks volumes.

8. kjironman1

Did you happen to feel the beginning of his response to me was "respectful"? Because from my response i obviously do "Understand".
    I don't play victim. So lets not go there. I don't care how he responds to me. But if he wants to post to me directly like that then he is going to get it back. Sorry.

9. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

I guess it's Nas turn to be in Stotts dog house... sigh

Darkwebs, hoopsjock and TBpup like this.
  10. kjironman1

He's gonna get more run now. Season is pretty much over. It'll be good for him.

11. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    ...but we did get to see Mario for absolutely no good reason what so ever... :banghead2:

hoopsjock, UKRAINEFAN and SIeepwalker like this.
  12. kjironman1

Blazers have to go 15-6 just to reach the end of the season .500

Edit @ .500

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  13. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I think there is a greater chance they go 6-15

14. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    6 wins is too many. That would put them at 32. They need to be in the 28-29 range to bet up to that #8 spot. Come on team, this is possible. Just avoid 1 or 2 key wins down the stretch that don't mean anything anyhow other than to put you in a worse position of purgatory.

#EmbraceTheTank

15. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

You'd have to point out exactly what he said for me to determine but it's besides the point. If we would all take on the responsibility of being the bigger person around here instead of "giving it back" it would help make the forum more enjoyable for everyone.

16. kjironman1

You do not want me to respond to this. I will oblige.

HailBlazers likes this.
  17. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Personally, something like the media "making a big deal" (not even sure what that means) about something has zero impact on judging if the Blazers improve or not during the season. If the media came out tomorrow and made a big deal about an offensive-minded practice, I wouldn't say that is proof that Stotts is a great defensive coach either.

I would think if everything above were true, there would be some data that shows the team (in general) gets worse thoughtout the season. I setup what I thought was the more objective data and then looked, nothing that even has a weak negative trend. I did not look for data and then create a narrative around that data.

18. BonesJones

Thats what he does best, but then he'll complain about others ruining the forum.

brooklynballer likes this.
  19. BonesJones

No, I understand the context of HJs point (weve talked about it) and you obviously didnt understand it, which is completely fine. (Other than the fact that you're trying to tell someone off based on your own misunderstanding, but thats not a big deal). Having or not having Nurkic has nothing to do with Stotts improving the players he has, so your argument wasnt based off the context being discussed. But you'll be super-defensive of that, because instead of being humble enough to consider that you might not correctly interpret everything thats ever said, you double down with some bullshit, per usual.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    hoopsjock likes this.
  20. BonesJones

You trash these guys defense when its convenient for your Stotts defense, and now you're contradicting that. Youve mocked me for making some of the points that you just did. The fucking irony...

Anyway, if all these players have improved so much, then Stotts gameplanning or scheming at fault that were giving up 84 points in 2 quarters to a trash team. Shit, you might be right.

hoopsjock likes this.