Game Thread GAME# 62: BLAZERS @ RAPTORS - MARCH 1, 2019 - FRIDAY, 5:00 PM, ESPN & NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Feb 27, 2019.

?

Who should get a majority of Kanter's minutes for this game?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2019.
  1. Meyers Leonard

14.0%
  2. Zach Collins

63.2%
  3. Split it evenly between Meyers and Zach

21.1%
  4. Somebody else

1.8%
  1. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I actually think CJ is a natural PG, even last night when he was the main ball handler he made some good passes. It seems like when he plays with someone else who’s doing most of the “PG” work he tends to have one thing on his mind and that's shooting, and because of how he gets his shot, it definitely can stagnate the offense.
    I agree Dame is the engine and the fit with CJ is strange at times. I think the only reason we are seeing an improvement to CJ as a passer or facilitating for teammates is he's playing more PG. I think we kind of agree, and hey we all use hyperbole here and there, and I'm cranky today so probably more argumentative then I need to be heh!

HailBlazers and Orion Bailey like this.
  2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Watching Toronto, i like the spread of thier talent better.

One elite pg.
    one elite forward.
    One elite(aging) center.

Some young potential guys and veteran bench.

I wouldnt mind swapping cj and scraps for an elite forward. Doesnt have to be kawhi elite though because i think dame is better than lowry aNd nurk is better than gasol.
    We need an elite forward. And we would be unstoppable. Even without cj.

Darkwebs likes this.
  3. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

CJ is a scorer with a big contract and that what the league as gone to this age of the game. They pass rules to have teams and players to score more. No new rule have benefited the defense at all.

4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Toronto is really good at forward. The Kawhi/Siakam pairing might be the best in the NBA; yeah, arguably, Durant/Green might be better. But Toronto's two forwards are highly mobile, good ball-handlers, great defenders, and have great length. I'm jealous

in the best of worlds, Portland would have traded CJ + for PG13. A Dame-PG13-Nurkic big three would be a contender, even against the Warriors

I'd be fine with a CJ + Zach for Blake Griffin swap. Yeah, I know many would be against that, but Dame-Jake-Mo-Blake-Nurkic would be better than what they have now. Even somebody at the level of Tobias Harris might be better, than the big-3 they have now, although that's cutting it tight. I just don't know what other forwards might be available for what Portland could trade

Orion Bailey likes this.
  5. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

And there is NO’s dilemma. Im not giving cj up unless its a clear upgrade and the realistic, clear upgrades available are far and few between.

6. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

No, he has the same pet peeve I do.....people blaming refs for us losing games.

kjironman1 likes this.
  7. THE HCP

Well said sir, well said.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  8. THE HCP

Was thinking the same thing. If the players screws up at the end of the game, and he was the reason we were even IN the game. He gets a pass in my book.

9. wizenheimer

that I don't necessarily agree with. Oladipo & Sabonis were not upgrades over PG13 but it got the Pacers in a better position. Andrew Bogut was not an upgrade over Monta Ellis, but it got the Warriors into a better position

sometimes, maybe most time, there's a little addition by subtraction because it allows better options for the real upgrade. Sometimes, subtracting big salary allows for better flexibility, and for sure, Portland's flexibility is quite restricted by big salary and the tax line. It may be that Portalnd has to take a step or two back before they can jump forward. Restricting a trade to 'clear upgrade' almost seems guaranteed to maintain status quo. Obviously, the close to the season and the playoffs will be pivot points for what the team should shoot for.

10. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Would you rather be okc or indiana right now?

kjironman1 likes this.
  11. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I didnt say restrict a trade unless a clear upgrade, i said restrict trading cj as a clear upgrade.

I get what you are saying though. And i too believe in addition by subtraction at times. I just dont know if this is the time. We have many of these additions already. I think kanter,harkless, jake, collins are the role players needed but we need an elite forward. And another vet or two on the bench to replace curry and aminu after the season. Not more role players.

12. wizenheimer

not sure I see how that relates to the point I was making? By the way, Indiana has a better record with a payroll 36M less than OKC granting it a lot more flexibility; plus, the Pacers have all of their future 1sts, while OKC owes their 2020 and 2022 firsts. Besides that, PG13 made it clear that he wasn't going to re-sign with Indiana. Obviously, you'd rather have the elite player in PG13, but that wasn't an option for the Pacers

another way the question seems off is that OKC took a major risk trading for PG13 and it paid off hugely. Meanwhile, Olshey may be the most risk-averse GM in the league

I'd much rather have PG13, or Oladipo + Sabonis than CJ though, even with Dipo's injury.

13. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

You dont? You noted the very trade between these two teams. After the trade, who would you rather be?
    You are right though. Payroll and long term outlook should be a factor to consider.
    Better record when comparing east vs west doesnt go far. Who do you think has more of a chance of winning it all this year? (given both are somewhat slim). i give the edge to okc. Pretty clearly.

14. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Where does it say that anywhere? In fact, did you read the entire post? It is very complimentary of the Blazers, their effort and the comeback.

Big reach.

15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Mhe is speakign of cj. It the blazers. You jsd a post calling out several end of game, bone head type instances that clild have been the reason for rhe loss, or not making the bonehead playa could have got us a win.
    I agreed with several btw.

The end result for me is games have ebs and flows. But at the end of the game its situational aNd stotts not subbing during free throws was a major fail.
    The switch on Leonard was another.

16. wizenheimer

sure, with Oladipo out for the season, OKC has a clear advantage

but with Oladipo, Indiana was on a pace for 60 wins. Even in the east that's impressive. In the last 5 years, the 60 win mark has only been hit 8 times, and 7 of those times it was either Golden State or San Antonio

in the last 10 years, no team has won the title without winning at least 57 games (or the equal in the lockout), and 6 times the winner has topped the 60 win mark

17. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Bruhhhh where did this conversation go this way? This all started over "HS is different than the NBA" to which is said was a dumb thing to tell me because duh, its obvious. All I did. Could I have been nicer in regards to what I felt like was a smartass thing to say to me? Yes. But not a big deal. Then KJ comes in and starts mocking me and talking shit, as usual.

He said he did it because I called someone stupid and calling someone dumb for disagreeing with me. He also said JDC said that to me in "defense", even though I was responding to and not even disagreeing with someone else. All of those reasons were inequivicolly false but he made up his own reasons to start shit with me and ran with it. To which I defended myself against, but group mentality takes over. Haters who talk shit or get fed up never try to understand my perspective at all. KJ is NOT an innocent bystander and is NOT trying to give me feedback. He made things 10 times worse in a conversation that didnt even involve him and was basically at a resolution. But the same group of haters will continue to blame me for it. That's fine. Whatever.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  18. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Oh, for fuck's sake. Any time two good teams play one of them will lose. There are no perfect games. Win or lose, every player, coach, and ref makes mistakes. Do none of you ever make a mistake at work? There is also plain luck; the trajectory of a ball off the rim semds it to a player on one team and not the other. In a one possession game everything is magnified, and I realize it's disappointing to be on the wrong end of a close game, but enough is enough. Must we have this endless scapegoating every time? Hate the expression"get a life" but some people here need to take up knitting, go for a walk, bake a cake, have more sex, something. Please.

19. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Ha Ha Ha! I love this!

20. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Can i do all if the above?

A sexy cakewalk in knitted clothing sounds like an awesome Sunday spent.

kjironman1 and hoopsjock like this.