Game Thread GAME# 63: BLAZERS @ HORNETS - MARCH 3, 2019 - SUNDAY, 10:00 AM, NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Mar 1, 2019.

?

Would the Blazers be better now if they had kept Batum?

Poll closed Mar 8, 2019.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Of course talent is current abilities. So are you saying a team that beat Boston, Denver, San Antonio, Detroit, Indiana and Milwaukee doesn't have enough talent to beat a good team on the 6th game of a 7 game road trip on their home court? Seriously? Why are we having this conversation? That team has veteran players that know how to play this game and are very talented. Go read the game thread and read comment after comment from people waiting for Walker to start hitting shots. Watch the game and witness Tony Parker almost single handedly shred the defense. The Blazers won by 10 but it took 27 off the bench from Hood and a DD 26-15 from Nurk not to forget 23 from Lillard and a solid 14 from Aminu to get that win. And don't go all no defense on this. The Blazers held them to 108 points and outrebounded them by 13.

Exactly what point are you trying to make here? Because i'm at a loss to figure it out? That was by no means a "For Sure" win. If you are thinking the Grizz will be a sure thing then you might want to rethink that thought also. And by the way OKC comes up on their first game back. Essentially another road game. Hoping they can continue to play well but that game will be very tough also.

2. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

I think we now know what the problem with Hood has been: he’s NOT a spot up shooter. He needs the ball to make things happen.

3. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

I never want to hear about the Kanter and Collins front court wishing for again. We all saw that Zeller and Kaminski destroyed them.

jlprk likes this.
  4. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    yes, of course as we all know that one game determines a players ability to play in the NBA.

BonesJones likes this.
  5. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

And a pairing of two players cannot get better after they get some experience together. It would be a crime to let them have 5 or even 6 games to work things out.

BonesJones likes this.
  6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yes and no. You are right that he is better when he is creating for himself, but it's not like he didn't have those opportunities during the stretch when he was missing.

7. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

+/- for a game is close to useless

but it's a useful gauge for a season once a team has played 30-40 games as long as the missing context of rotation patterns is considered

8. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    On a one game basis, yes. On a team that plays two units and doesn't mix the two, yes. Over many game and with a team that mixes players up a lot, I think it tells a valuable story.
    (oops, I guess Wizenheimer said pretty much the same thing, in different words.)

Darkwebs and BonesJones like this.
  9. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

It started with you saying, "People saying this win should have been easy were a bit disrespectful of a team that has a number of quality players that are veterans of the league. Walker, Williams, Lamb, Batum, Parker, Kominsky, Kidd-Gilchrist, Biyombo...."

Walker is good but overrated (classic big scorer on a bad team). Marvin Williams has had a long, serviceable career, but has never been nearly as good as his draft expectations. Lamb sucks. Batum is mediocre most days. Parker is a small glimmer of a shadow (is that possible?) of his former self. Kaminsky is pretty much a bust, even though I thought he might be a good role player. MKG was one of the most over-hyped players in any draft, IMO. Hated him then, still do. Biyombo had one good playoff run and has been less than mediocre before and after.

If they beat other teams on occasion, it's because those teams played lousy that night, not because Charlotte has the talent and veteran experience to beat anyone on any night. Their entire division is at least 5 games below .500 ... that's a shitload of easy games and they've still got that bad of a record.

10. UKRAINEFAN

un-retired
    Right; this is what Bonesjones has been saying. What are the implications of this when Turner is healthy? (and let's not forget we have had this great stretch without Turner). Hood didn't bring the ball up the court usually yesterday, so Turner could do that, but then how is he useful. When Dame or CJ bring the ball up court and pass to Hood, they are out on the three point line as threats, which gives Hood more room. But Turner? I have also said Turner may not work so well with Kanter. If it's true that he is now a really poor fit, will Stotts have the moxie to bench him?

11. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

How dare you! :smiley-boxing:

TorturedBlazerFan and hoopsjock like this.
  12. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Turner is still better than Curry. I don't know that he's $18M better than Curry, but those are sunk costs, so we might as well player Turner rather than Curry.

13. handiman

Of all the players mentioned, I didn't expect dissing Lamb to strike a nerve... It is March, though, so the whole "in like a lamb, out like a lion" thing being reversed with the polar spring must have the duck billed one in a defensive mode.

14. PtldPlatypus

In prior threads a couple months back, I had identified Lamb (multiple times) as a guy I really like, think is highly underrated, and would make an excellent CJ replacement were he to be dealt for upgrades elsewhere. Seeing his name impugned, I HAD to come to his defense.

UKRAINEFAN, hoopsjock and TBpup like this.
  15. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

He's 13th in the league in RPM. Leaped Dame for the first time this season. Dame is 15.

Darkwebs likes this.
  16. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    I don't mind Lamb. He gets to the line more than CJ, is more than twice the rebounder, gets almost the same assists (with lower usage), is similar in overall FG%, not quite as good from '3', and is doing what he does in far fewer minutes. Add in a +5" wingspan and defensively I can't imagine he wouldn't be better.

tester551 and PtldPlatypus like this.
  17. UKRAINEFAN

un-retired
    He may be better, but is he a better fit?

18. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Yes. Unfortunately.

19. handiman

He's in that Bill Simmons role of guys so overrated they become underrated.

In other words, he sucks. :D

20. PtldPlatypus

:smack:

hoopsjock likes this.