Game Thread GAME# 64: BLAZERS @ SUNS - MARCH 6, 2020 - FRIDAY, 6:00 PM, NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Mar 4, 2020.

?

What do you feel is the biggest blunder by Olshey in the past 12 months?

Poll closed Mar 11, 2020.
  1. Not re-signing Aminu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Signing an injured Pau Gasol

19.6%
  3. Failing to sign a back-up point guard

9.8%
  4. Trading Meyers+Mo for Whiteside

2.0%
  5. Signing CJ to a 3-year extension

19.6%
  6. Signing Anthony Tolliver

2.0%
  7. Signing Mario Hezonja

7.8%
  8. Failing to re-sign Kanter or Curry

7.8%
  9. Not trading away Whiteside at the trade deadline

25.5%
  10. Other (Please specify in the comment)

5.9%
  1. PHXBlazer1

PHXBlazer1 Well-Known Member

I definitely saw an exchange between Melo and Hassan that didn’t look too friendly after one of our many defensive lapses.

kjironman1 likes this.
  2. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

It does pain me also. But it's obvious. He did have a good scoring game against the Wiz. But against the Suns he looked disinterested in helping at all on defense and again he was unwilling to grab a rebound. A teams PF needs to help on the boards.
    How long has it been since we have seen him put the ball on the floor and drive hard to the basket for a two handed dunk. He is opting for the fadeaway every time.

I have to also say Lillard does not seem to be moving nearly as well. Just does not have that extra burst he had. I do understand a 75% Lillard is better than anything else they have but as many have pointed out. This team sorely lacks a backup point guard.

oldmangrouch and TBpup like this.
  3. kjironman1

He did have a good game against the Wiz. But overall we are seeing his style change. Pull up jumpers pretty much every time. He ended up with 25 points but he also only bought in 5 rebounds. For some reason against Phoenix he could only come up with 4 rebounds? This is from our PF that played 34 mins. Yes i watched the games. I watched multiple times when he stepped aside and left Hassan alone in the middle.
    Like i said in another post. This is tough to watch because i have been actively supporting Melo. I actually want him here as the back up PF. He brings a type of game that not many can. I just think he is wearing down. This team needs Zach back badly. They need to reduce Carmelo Anthony's role. Until then "IN MY HUMBLE OPINION" Stotts needs to get Little or Gabriel in the game earlier or longer and rely on Melo less. This does not mean that Melo should not be in the game on certain late game situations. His experience alone and his ability to stroke a shot under pressure is still there. He just needs to be rested when he is asked to do it.

Darkwebs, TBpup and royo like this.
  4. kjironman1

It's been there the last couple games. Whiteside was completely outmatched by a center that could shoot from three and he could not leave the lane because when he did there was absolutely no rim protection. Booker and Saric were going to absolutely destroy them if he chased down Baynes which he is too slow to do anyway. Too many times it left to Ariza to try to put some perimeter pressure on two players. Remember Bridges can shoot from three also and ended up with 18 points. For all their faults Mario and Gabriel at least were moving and willing to try to defend.

TBpup likes this.
  5. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Who the hell is Aaron Baynes........

Damn one man Blazer wrecking machine.....

ugh....

6. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

How the fuck does Trent only get 21 minutes ?
    Meanwhile CJ and Dame play 38 and 39 in a double digit loss in the first night of a B2b

Wenyen with 4 very solid minutes so obviously he sits immediately and doesn't come back in the 2nd half to make way for Swanigan who thinks Rubio is his teammate

Ffs Terry Stotts you fuking suck.

Darkwebs, hoopsjock and TBpup like this.
  7. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Isn't it amazing that we have such poor wing defenders that we put a 34 year old on the other team's best scorer every night?

8. kjironman1

So this is what Ariza was saying to Whiteside.

Darkwebs likes this.
  9. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

that makes no sense to me....maybe I'm missing your point

meanwhile, my point was that coaching assumptions that form a gameplan, before the game starts, will almost always need to be adjusted during the game. It was obvious about 6 minutes into the 1st Q that leaving Baynes open behind the arc was a bad idea, but he was still getting open looks in the 2nd half. Somebody listed a few minor adjustments he saw but they were ineffective. Portland lost by 10; if they would have held Baynes to 5 three's instead of 9, they could have won, and holding him to 5 sure doesn't seem like an unreasonable expectation

I have to say Tince it sure seems you're become very Pavlovian in regards to Stotts. When there's any hint of criticism toward Stotts, I expect to see you there pushing back, even when the criticism is valid. I'd agree that Stotts is holding some bad cards because of injuries and some dumbass decisions that Olshey made last summer (and before), but he still makes bets with the cards he's dealt and some are bad bats. Leaving Baynes open all night was one of them

hoopsjock, oldmangrouch and Tince like this.
  10. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    So for those taking issue with Baynes getting so many open looks agains Whiteside's defense, I'll take Ariza's word on it for what they wanted (and have wanted for all of Stotts' tenure) their center to do. If Whiteside isn't patrolling the middle (defensive warts and all) it would be an absolute parade line to the basket outside of whomever Ariza or Trent (if he is in the game) is guarding.

SIeepwalker and kjironman1 like this.
  11. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

It still was.

TorturedBlazerFan and BonesJones like this.
  12. kjironman1

I was kind of thinking it was the reason Whiteside was having issues. The thing is here that Melo was not rotating and covering anyone on the perimeter. Ariza could not cover two players.
    This kind of clears it up for me.

TBpup likes this.
  13. wizenheimer

no doubt. The injuries have been brutal. Like I said, last fall, I wouldn't have ever imagined OKC being this far ahead of Portland at this point. I guess my imagination was lacking. I don't like to imagine injuries for anybody though, except for an occasional in-law

I do remember thinking that Olshey was placing way too heavy bets on both Zach and Simons. Not only that they needed to perform really well, but that there was nothing behind them. I did imagine that if either Whiteside or Zach missed a lot of games, the Blazers would have major issues. And I couldn't believe Portland signed Tolliver, Hezonja, and the injured Gasol

TBpup likes this.
  14. wizenheimer

thanks for those links Kj

it looked like the entire Blazer defense, including Whiteside, was trapped between their schemes and what Phoenix was doing. Heads on swivels always about 2 beats behind where the ball was

I knew during the game that blaming Whiteside for Baynes going on a three-point tear was scapegoating the wrong player and letting the coaching off the hook. Is there any doubt that if the PF had been Aminu rather than Melo, Baynes wouldn't have had all those open looks?

TorturedBlazerFan, Darkwebs and TBpup like this.
  15. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

All fair points.

All my point was is that if anything had been happening consistently for 8 years, I would think there would be frequent examples of a performance like this. Baynes was killing us out at 3 and on the glass, I would have loved if Stotts put someone on him who can move his feet well outside the paint and still block out down low and handle Baynes in the post. I'm just not sure who that guy is on our roster. Though skinny, I think giving Collins a chance would have been worth a shot, if he were available.

I do think Stotts is a good coach, I don't think he's a great one. I understand when I challenge people on their theories it typically comes across as me saying Stotts is perfect, but in reality, I've done the same thing when we had previous coaches and will probably do it when we have another coach. My theories get challeneged frequently and because of that, I find out they are not always correct, and my knowledge base grows. You are one of those people who I feel gives me a better perspective, so thanks!

wizenheimer likes this.
  16. kjironman1

Absolutely Aminu would have made a huge difference. But in my opinion Little or Gabriel would have also. That was a bad matchup for Melo.

Blazers Roy, SIeepwalker and TBpup like this.
  17. wizenheimer

good point...and Stotts should have a much quicker hook for Melo when his shot is off, because he gives Portland almost nothing in that case; net negative

BonesJones and TBpup like this.
  18. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    At this point all match ups are bad match ups for Melo...

19. kjironman1

You guys are probably better than i am at second guessing the coach. But it just seemed like a bad game and a bad match for the type of player he is.

20. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Its not about Stotts. I think Melo was never good on defense and at this point really is only even sort of ok being on the court when he’s hot on offense. He’s a pretty terrible defender.

Darkwebs and TBpup like this.