Game Thread GAME# 65: THUNDER @ BLAZERS - MARCH 7, 2019 - THURSDAY, 7:30 PM, TNT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Mar 5, 2019.

?

Of the following Blazers, who is the worst defender?

Poll closed Mar 12, 2019.
  1. Hood

1.5%
  2. Kanter

56.1%
  3. Layman

1.5%
  4. Leonard

22.7%
  5. Lillard

3.0%
  6. McCollum

12.1%
  7. Turner

3.0%
  1. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

Just watched the game.

IMO if Collins took minutes from Aminu and Kanter then we could have won this game.

Too many easy shots at the rim, ZERO deterrence factor, too many Aminu bricks, we could use more toughness.

And i'm FAR from being a huge Zach Collins fan.

Darkwebs, HailBlazers and blue9 like this.
  2. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

They swept us in the regular season but we'll sweep them in the playoffs !

3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Even when 7 were on the road?

Darkwebs likes this.
  4. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Ive never understood this thought?

Is it not possible to enjoy the game and still want to discuss how we could have done better? Why is it just assumed that if someone critiques a play, they arent enjoying the game???

In terms of my music, i fucking love it. I love writing, performing and all the work that goes into being a somgwriter/musician. But i HAVE to be critical of myself and my bandmates if i want to reach the level of success im driving for.

Same can go for hobbies and passions. Why cant one be critical of something he/she enjoys/loves????

5. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    You totally misunderstood my post to HCP. Seems to be the norm with some of you lately.

6. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

Ok but HE didn’t beat Dame...
    "Who won the game" is just about the last thing you should use to decide who has surpassed who. Kingspeed's example illustrates the absurdity of doing that. You can not even just look at who scored more points or who was more efficient. That can just be hot/cold single-game variance.

What I am talking about is the fact that Dame looked way more dominating in an overall basketball sense, in terms of creating quality shots for himself and teammates. Westbrook does not look like he can physically overwhelm the way he used to.

That was my observation from watching that game. Now I've gone back and checked the stats and they agree. While Dame has made increment improvements, Westbrook appears to be borderline falling off the cliff.

Westbrook
    2018-2019 APM +2.38 PER 20.8 <-- just "ok"
    2017-2018 APM +5.16 PER 24.7 <-- dominant
    2016-2017 APM +6.27 PER 30.6 <-- total dominance
    2015-2016 APM +7.85 PER 27.6 <-- total dominance
    2014-2015 APM +7.08 PER 29.1 <-- total dominance

Dame
    2018-2019 APM +4.41 PER 23.7
    2017-2018 APM +4.90 PER 25.2
    2016-2017 APM +3.14 PER 24.1
    2015-2016 APM +1.31 PER 22.2
    2014-2015 APM +3.77 PER 20.7

Dame's TS% is a consistent 59% for the past three years, Westbrook's has dipped below 50%, 175th among guards. That's pretty bad.

So my observation that Dame has surpassed Westbrook still looks spot on to me.

Darkwebs likes this.
  7. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    No kidding but the post was literally this game showed me that Dame surpassed WB or something like that. I think Dame is better then WB, but that particular game isnt a gauge of that. Especially when Dame lost.

8. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Then clarify yourself? Seems to me you pretty much backed up his opinion that if one critiques a game or play, they aren't also enjoying the game?

Are you not one of a few on here who regularly gets on those who are critical of the team? Do you not call people like @BonesJones @TBpup @hoopsjock and some others out for your assumption of them not enjoying things because they are critiquing or questioning play calling and what not?

Listen, I'm all about being positive and have made that stance clear long before you started posting regularly, so don't get me wrong.

However I appreciate the critique immensely. It brings views I may not have seen. Whether I agree or disagree.

For you, it seems that if you don't hear that all is peachy keen and smelling of roses when people discuss the Blazers, then they aren't a fan and should find something else to do.

Why is it so hard to understand that some people learn from each other as they discuss other options not used and how they could potentially be a better call, or a better substitution or what not, than what had transpired in the game?

This is a forum to discuss the Blazers and as much as I love being positive, I totally get the negative too. More people should become more accepting of more than one opinion or stance. Its how we learn and grow.

9. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

Yeah, the game showed it. Damian LOOKED significantly better because he IS better. Who won is 99.9% irrelevant so there is no "especially".

10. CupWizier

retired
    Save the lecture and quit trying to make it about me.

11. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    That game showed a lot of things, not who was better between Dame and Russ though. Who’s a better overall player needs more than A game.

hoopsjock likes this.
  12. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

That was not just any single game. It was a huge game, and both players were playing all out. That single game is in the context of what we already know about both players. We already know Dame is the much more efficient scorer. In the past, Westbrook more than made up for that by physically overwhelming you. He couldn't do that to Dame like he used to. Without that he is inferior. Dame showed he now the more dominating player, and not in a hot-shooting way as Westbrook was actually more hot that game. Dame was more dominating in general, in a repeatable way. He was able to create better shots for himself & teammates.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  13. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Thanks for clarifying yourself.

Tantrum town is down the hall.....

HailBlazers and BonesJones like this.
  14. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Such a huge game but the winner is irrelevant. We know Dames a better shooter, both players shot pretty well.
    I said I think Dame is better but that game didnt prove that at all. The last time they played WB had 21-14-11 and won did that prove WB was better? Or the time they met before that when WB had 29-14-10 and they also won.

15. CupWizier

retired
    You are welcome.

lol, you crack me up So i choose to not engage in your attempt at an argument i am thus having a tantrum? You need to work on your trolling buttercup

16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

You said you were misunderstood. I asked you to clarify yourself, with some up and up comments. You responded with "spare the lecture".

and I'm the troll.... and a buttercup....

You are literally incapable of having a mature discussion.

Fucking funny.

BonesJones likes this.
  17. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Sometimes I think a few of us wake up for the day and think, “I wonder if I can make @SlyPokerDog ban me today”. :)

Titan, BonesJones and Orion Bailey like this.
  18. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

Yes, the winner is irrelevant, because it depends on so many factors besides the players in question. You already know that. I knew we were lost that game the minute Nurk was gone and Kanter was in. I knew would would not be able to stop them from scoring.

Anyone can have some great stat games (especially Russ). I didn't give Damian's stat line as my reason for saying what I said. Damian likely won't repeat that for a long long time. I was looking at the actual play and seeing that Damian is simply more dominating, able to create better shots for himself, and Russ doesn't look like the same player he was.

If that game didn't show it then I guess I just made a lucky guess, right? Because I hadn't looked at Russ' stats to know he is going downhill.

19. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

It's amazing to me how people who are so fanatical about their team that they join an online community can get so upset with others who are here for the same reason. First step in conflict resolution is finding common ground. In other words, they're all Blazer fans. That right there should be enough to not try to destroy each other. It's not like this is a Lakers and Blazers forum. Just Blazers.

20. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Maybe he doesn't like that we're the best basketball players on this forum?

Orion Bailey likes this.