GAME 7 RANGERS-LIGHTNING -WIN AND PLAY FOR THE CUP

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by mrmel29, May 29, 2015.

1. chuckd3534

chuckd3534 Well-Known Member

They were playing not to make a mistake, and to me that is not the way you want to play a game 7, especially at home and especially as the favorite in the game. That plays right into the road teams hands and right into the underdogs hands. You let them stay in it. You let them get comfortable. That is what a young road team like TB wants.

We needed to come out flying and playing very aggressive, and we did the 100% opposite. The pressure mounts on the fav and home team the longer the game stays 0-0.

I think we should have pressed way more and been much more aggressive right out of the gate. Pushed the play early and put them back on their heels. Instead we played very conservative not to lose or make mistakes hockey, and I don't like that style against this youg team AT ALL. How did it work in game 5? Played right into their hands with that style IMO. Scared in a way, which is shocking for a team with our experience.

We might have been better off if the game was in TB. We played a road style last night, and that plays better on the road. I think that would have been to our advantage.

The great game 7 record I also think was a negative last night. We started to see it against the Caps where we were down 1-0, had to battle back to tie it, and then scored the coin flip winner in OT. That starts to weigh on you and the other team can feed off it also.

Real tough way to end the season...

2. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I feel bad for Hank but that first goal was typical of what you get late in a game like that. They toss one towards the net and it finds its way in. He was too deep in the net again which is a little issue he seemed to have at times these playoffs.

3. chuckd3534

Should he have stopped the first goal, of course he should have, but I don't hold that against Hank one bit. When you score ZERO and score 4 in 4 home games I just cannot get on the goalie at all.

I think we had the wrong attitude right from the start...I really do. Let's see if the Ducks come out like that tonight, or if as the home team they try and use the energy to go for the kockout blow early, just like they did in game 5 and we didn't do in games 5 or 7. Totally played that the wrong way IMO.

We should have come out 100% different than we did...I truly believe that.

4. Messiah717

They definitely had the wrong attitude. I knew they were losing after the second period.

5. chuckd3534

I won't say I thought we'd lose after the 1st or 2nd period, I figured it was a dangerous game playing with fire and flip a coin, but I was "concerned" when we didn't start with any fire or push, I knew that was a bad move. You need to feed off the crowd and energy they give you at the start, otherwise why have home ice and it plays right into the road teams hands and actually becomes a negative for the home team. And then when the PP's were terrible I was concerned as well. At some point that stuff bites you. Is what it is.

6. Messiah717

They needed a goal in one of the first two periods. Their success is getting on the board first early.

7. chuckd3534

Game 4 for McDonagh...pretty impressive:

5/30/15 | 7:21AM: Derek Stepan said that McDonagh showed “tremendous guts” in this series and that “he wanted to be Mac so badly and he just wasn’t able to get there.”

5:55AM: McDonagh broke his foot in Game 4 of this series.

McDonagh was not credited with any blocked shots in Game 4 nor was he credited with being hit.

8. chuckd3534

For his sake, and ours, let's hope McD can stay healthy all season next year and get to that Norris level we all believe he can reach.

9. Messiah717

McDonagh has been very banged up the last couple of seasons and that so happened to coincide with long playoff runs. Two shoulders injuries one before last years playoffs and one before this season. The broken foot will heal and be fine so not worried about that. My point is that I don't think he was able to get to the level we expect him to always play at this season. I expect him back stronger next season and ready to have a great year.

10. chuckd3534

I agree Mess. We expected it this season, but assuming health I can see next season being the big McD jump from very good to great dman...a top 5-7 type guy in the NHL from maybe top 10-12 guy.

I want to be excited for next season. I like what Miller and Hayes can do with full seasons uner their belts. I want to see CK take another stride. I want to see Yandle with a full training camp. So I want to be excited, but I know how long the road is and how difficult it will be to get back here and after all these runs and games. That is so difficult to do with teams marking you now, and the East getting better, and simple wear and tear.

We'll see...season starts in 4.5 months.

11. Messiah717

The key to another run Chuck is what kind of leaps the kids make. I mean look at the reality of things this playoff year.

Zucc injured so you got nothing there
    Hayes did nothing for the final two rounds
    Hags did nothing for the final two rounds
    MSL did nothing for the entire playoffs
    JT Miller had a great game six but did very little otherwise

That's no easy to overcome.

12. chuckd3534

I agree, I said it in the other thread that the forwards really didn't get it done at all.

Even outside of game 6 I think Miller was seen and known out there and played well. I like Miller a lot. I think he can be a 15-16 goal 30-32 point guy for years to come, and add some toughness and physical play as he fills out as well. A very solid 2nd or 3rd line winger. I want to see him and Hayes develop together, that excites me. Those two could form a nice 3rd line base.

Nash and Brass and Zucc 1st line. Step and Kreider form the 2nd line base. Miller and Hayes the 3rd line base. Now fill in the open two spots around them. Maybe one is MSL or Hags, and the other to me should be a top 9 righty shot. Then have Glass/Moore/Lindberg/Fast/Sheppard on the 4th line (Sheppard or Glass I would think).

13. Messiah717

I give Hayes and Miller a pass because I think they mature and become really key players for this team. Guys like Nash and Kreider no longer get a pass. They simply don't bring it every night and that's inexcusable.

14. chuckd3534

Totally agree...Kreider needs to bring it most every game and score 30 next season. Nash...not sure what to say. He was better in these playoffs, but really it was 2 games. In 6 of the last 8 games 0 points.

The positive for Nash would be Kreider, Miller, and Hayes getting better and carrying some load in the playoffs which takes some pressure off of Nash to be THE guy. That would help Nash I think.

15. Messiah717

This season you saw the Rick Nash you needed for 60 games. Then he took a hit and played tentative for the remainder of the season and the playoffs. I don't think it has anything to do with pressure. It's his tendency to want to play on the perimeter and avoid contact.

16. chuckd3534

So he is soft. Either way whether it is not dealing well with the pressure AND/OR being a softer player, it doesn't mesh well with playoff success. That is a concern, and why we need these other guys to really step up. CK, JT, KH, Zucc, Brass to continue, Step, and maybe Hags if he is back.

And I remember that game against Peg when he was hit, and if that is all it took that is really bad for him and us as fans.

17. Messiah717

I don't think it's pressure. What I meant was I think taking a bad hit gets into his head. So more often than not in the playoffs you get the Nash that doesn't go strong to the net or look to get in front. When he does he scores. Why it doesn't happen more often is anyone's guess.

18. chuckd3534

I don't disagree, I just think it is sort of all of the above. I think Nash may be too nice. He doesn't play with that fire and passion. Say what you want about Kreider, but when he is on he plays like a train, you don't see that from Nash. Pressure, soft, injury concerned who knows...I think he needs to get a mean streak...too nice IMO.

Nice guys finish last...cannot change who he is, but if Nash had that mean streak I think we'd see a stud in the playoffs as well.

19. Messiah717

I would certainly say you don't see a lot of fire or emotion out of Nash. That being said he has always been the same whether he's scoring 42 in the regular season or struggling in the playoffs. That being said regardless of what some might say you're not trading him. If you do so you might as well give up next season because you're not replacing that production.

20. chuckd3534

Agreed on the regular season comment, and that proves the point even more IMO. In the regular season you don't need that mean streak/attitude to score. The games are softer the ice more open, in the playoffs you need it and shocker that's where he struggles.

Nash is not getting dealt...I am not even spending time thinking about it. For SO MANY REASONS I don't see it happening.