Game Thread GAME# 70: PACERS @ BLAZERS - MARCH 18, 2019 - MONDAY, 7:30 PM, ESPN & NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Mar 16, 2019.

?

Who do you want to start at SG in place of McCollum?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2019.
  1. Seth Curry

7.4%
  2. Rodney Hood

72.2%
  3. Jake Layman

11.1%
  4. Anfernee Simons

3.7%
  5. Gary Trent Jr

5.6%
  6. Evan Turner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    That should totally be allowed

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  2. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    You make a good point. We only have one point guard on the whole 15 player roster, lol. I love most of Olshey’s moves but how does this happen?

Strenuus and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  3. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

He started last night and is not moving anymore. Can't blame the bench when he is playing with the starters and still not doing anything. Personally I think this is the real Jake. He has not shown much besides a short stretch when people in here were predicting 10+million and saying he should start over Moe. Neither of which should or will happen. The league figured him out and took away his slashes and he doesn't have much else.

4. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

I heard they rate your interest on your basketball IQ. So higher the interest lower the Basketball IQ.

5. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Should have been a flagrant, he almost muredered him.

THE HCP and hoopsjock like this.
  6. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    It Happens when you sign a guy like Turner and are not able to admit your mistake and just cut him. Plenty of PG's have been available for cheap, e.g. Elfrid Payton, who is playing best ball of his life.

7. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Yeah, that would make a lot of sense. Cut a guy and eat his 18mil salary for 2 years.

Propagandist and hoopsjock like this.
  8. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    You can't cut ET. The teams that have stretched the bad contracts of 2016 are stupid.

BonesJones and Propagandist like this.
  9. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

In your opinion, does ET make us better?

I'll preview my opinion. For a "distributor," ball movement sure seems to screech to a halt when he's in the game. He makes some nifty passes, but oftentimes those are peppered with unnecessarily risky passes that many times result in turnovers. Simply put: I HATE the way we play with ET in the game. I think he makes us worse.

That being said, as much as he destroys our flow, he can't be cut. Package him with a bow in the offseason and send him off.

bobf likes this.
  10. CupWizier

retired
    I thought he played well for us in the first half of the season and was contributing and the second unit was being pretty efficient for a second unit. Since his injury he has struggled to regain his form and hopefully he can find it again. With Turner and Layman playing good we are a much more dangerous team.

Propagandist likes this.
  11. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I think the simple answer is Jake has been scouted. Now it's on him to adjust.

illmatic99 and Propagandist like this.
  12. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

Yeah, it seemed like Stotts "unlocked" him for a second there... Layman will regroup and figure it out. I think there's less room to manuever with Kanter in the middle.

13. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I understand it's not practical financially but it could have been done. Replace him with a guy who makes $2 million and the financial hit is not that bad. Otherwise have the guts to tell the coach you made a mistake and he doesn't have to play him. I don't think it would have been the end of the world if they had to dump Labissiere and sign a decent PG. What they're doing is not fair to the team and the fans.

14. CupWizier

retired
    Would it really be an issue if Turner and McCollum didn't get hurt? We are in the same situation other teams have been in at times with key players being injured, but when healthy the team has shown to be a very competitive team. Cutting a guy and having to eat his salary for 2 years is not a practical way of running a team. We are 9-4 since the all star break and that's with 10 of those games on the road. Hard to complain about that.

15. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I can't fathom the possibility that, had we given all ET's/Curry's minutes to Simons/Trent from the get-go, they'd be worse than ET/Curry at this point. Worst case scenario is they are about the same, but we'd be ahead of where we currently are with regards to their development.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  16. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I actually suggested this earlier in the season and was told that would be considered tanking and that fans would stop going to games.

BonesJones likes this.
  17. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

just theory, but it may be because Olshey is still convinced, all evidence to the contrary, that CJ is a competent back-up PG. And having an actual competent back-up PG would give Stotts an option that could threaten CJ's minutes

they can't just waive a guy making 18M. I suppose, if Portland was desperate, they could stretch him before next season, but that would be a 6.1M stain on Portland's cap for three more years. That's extreme

there is always the remote possibility that he could be traded next year, but even that carries negative potential. Best is probably just to let his contract expire.

yeah, that's likely true. He was hot and everything was working for him, including opposing teams not paying attention to his game. That's not the case anymore and the chances are he was playing too far above his norms to not have regression

18. CupWizier

retired
    It could be an issue with Kanter, but it has also been a very short time of integrating him into the team so hopefully they learn to work together and more efficiently by playoff time as we need the depth and versatility.

19. CupWizier

retired
    The problem with that idea is that we are in the midst of a very successful season and still knocking at the door for the 3rd seed with still an outside chance at the 2nd seed but still have teams lurking trying to knock us down. A move like that would be fine if we were really struggling, but we haven't been. We are 9-4 since the all star break and that's with 14 games on the road (7-3). Hard to make a major change when we have that going.

20. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

Or we Aminu swish3'd our way to a win depending on your confirmation bias. I felt good about this game. I thought Zach & Chief both played great. I was focusing on Zach the whole game and I thought that's the best defense I've ever seen him play. Sure I've seen blocked shots before, but I'm talking about when he wasn't blocking shots. He was timing and waiting for the right moment to contest, not frantically jumping too soon, etc. Thought it was awesome.

Darkwebs and illmatic99 like this.