Game Thread GAME# 75: ROCKETS @ BLAZERS - MARCH 30, 2017 - THURSDAY, 7:30 PM (PST), TNT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Mar 30, 2017.

?

Is Vonleh our "Power Forward of the Future?"

Poll closed Apr 6, 2017.
  1. Yes

63.8%
  2. No

36.2%
  1. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

It's more surprising that people actually think a player averaging nearly 6 turnovers a game is having a good year.
    Can you imagine what people on this forum would say if Lillard was averaging 6 turnovers a game? Holy shit the qq.

Steve Nash > James Harden.
    Makes you wonder if the Rockets will get smashed just as bad or worse than the suns did.

2. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

....Harden averages 6 turnovers a GAME?! Did I read that right?

Holy shit!

SIeepwalker and Dougnsalem like this.
  3. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Some interesting notes about this stretch, giving more credibility to it. I am not counting the game against Utah, since he didn't play in it.

It's not like they only played sub par teams. They won 7 games against playoff or near playoff teams.

They did this while playing 10 road games. They've gone 7-3 on the road, including wins @ San Antonio @ OKC and @ Atlanta.

While they have had a few let downs (Washington and Milwaukee comes to mind), they've been pretty much a different team than their previous record.

The fear is, of course, peaking too soon. Not that the team is a threat to win the title, but they run of the risk of having peaked (much like the 91 Blazers team peaked in the last month of the season).

4. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Well...actually those guys sound like us. "Harden is a turnover iso-hero ball machine during close high pressure games. He hasn't learned that the refs will not give him those so called foul calls during close playoff like games. He still has to prove the he is a closer during the playoffs, not just by playing hero-ball but by making plays for others as well."

5. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Let's see what they do over the next four games... when they have the playoff seed wrapped up, will they let up or put on the gas? I don't think March is too too early.

julius likes this.
  6. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Seems like the press is really beginning to pull for the Ball Hog for OKC. Harden may be losing ground in the Most Popular Player contest. Even Pippen said "he's having the greatest season I've ever seen." I'm not a huge Westbrook fan but I have to admit the guy is special.

7. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Raw stats are kind of misleading sometimes. His Assist to Turnover Ratio is 2:1 -- identical to Damian Lillard.

8. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

WHAT A GAME!!!!

And know @Chris Craig I could not hear you. You need to work on your game! ;)

9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

10. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

His usage rate is 34.4% 11.4 assists per and 5.8 turnovers per
    In 06-07 Nash's usage rate was 22.9%(2nd highest of his career) he averaged 11.6 assists per and 3.8 turnovers per.(both career highs)
    I already knew how good Nash was, but comparing Harden & Nash really shows Nash was on another level. Well it does to me at least.

Not sure why you're comparing players when only one is in a d'antoni system. Better comparison would be Nash vs Harden.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Wizard Mentor, Darkwebs and TBpup like this.
  11. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

He posted about injuries, shooting, defense blah blah. Think he said something about Howard too. Typical Rocket fan stuff.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  12. Nikolokolus

Because the raw numbers are little bit misleading. Harden's 2:1 ratio isn't stellar, but it's not quite as damning as just pointing to "OMG 6 turnovers!" As for Steve Nash, I don't really see the comp. A) he was a much different kind of point guard, and B) he is an all-time great at the position. I don't think Harden is an all-timer as a facilitator.

13. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Isn't the knock on Nash is that his numbers were inflated due to being in D'antino system?
    Does Harden not deserve the same knock and therefore compared to the player who arguably ran the system more efficiently than Harden currently is?
    I think it's a pretty fair comp especially when I gave the advanced numbers.

14. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

In post game I was struck by Dame saying "we trust each other". That was not true earlier in the year. Then Nurkic pointed to his wrist standing behind Dame. Quick learner.

15. Nikolokolus

That's why I pointed to his A:T ratio and not raw stats. If Harden were playing a more "normal" system his raw turnovers would be a lot lower (probably).

16. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I thought the knock on Nash was that he only played on one end of the court. Similar to Harden. And that's where players like Rondo, Williams, CP3, Westbrook measure out to be better than players like Nash/Harden.

17. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

They need to stop trusting Aminu and Turner on the perimeter - they put far too much trust in those guys.

Blazers Roy and Pinwheel1 like this.
  18. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yeah it needs to stop. Other than the shot clock winding down there is no excuse for it. Every possession is critical this time of year.
    And both are pretty players are pretty good at attacking the basket. There is no reason they should not drive to the basket. Yes they are wide open, but they are also wide open to drive as well. chief played well last night when he got in the lane.

It was telling though that Terry pulled Aminue after his two missed 3's in crunch time. Which is fine by me. I like the Dame, CJ, Crabbe, Moe, Nurk closing unit against most teams.

19. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Kinda amazing to me that we can win against the 3rd best record in the league when CJ goes 12/3/1 on 27% shooting.
    We're a great team

42N8Bounce, riverman and Dougnsalem like this.
  20. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Impressed they passed test 2. I'm sure they will lose some they shouldn't, but they have shown a lot of growth.