Game Thread GAME# 77: GRIZZLIES @ BLAZERS - APRIL 1, 2018 - SUNDAY, 6:00 PM (PDT), NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Mar 30, 2018.

?

Which player(s) should get Ed's minutes (assuming he's out)?

Poll closed Apr 6, 2018.
  1. Swanigan

35.7%
  2. Layman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Leonard

32.1%
  4. Papagiannis

12.5%
  5. Collins

51.8%
  6. Other

1.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Cuban will never trade Dirk. Even if it's a formality.

Boob-No-More likes this.
  2. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Same reason another team would trade for Meyers; change of scenery, or the potential of getting a player that could actually help on the court. Being a good teammate is cool. But for $10m I’d want someone that can get on the court. This isn’t summer camp.

For example, Meyers for someone like Demarre Carroll.

Darkwebs and Strenuus like this.
  3. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

While I understand that - the team might believe that PapaG can give them what ML does next year for a lot less money - and they might be able to get someone in a position the Blazers are not that deep in (like SF) - that they believe they can somewhat salvage. That might be the only reason to do that.

Scalma likes this.
  4. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Salaries don't match. Carroll make $5 million more per year than Meyers. You'd also need to include Swanigan and Layman. Not saying I wouldn't do it, but would BRK? Carroll is a starter for them. They already have Jarrett Allen starting at C, with a shit ton of dead money tied up on Mozgov and I believe they will also likely resign Jahlil Okafor. Why would they want to tie up another $10 million at the center position?

BNM

5. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

I will be really surprised if they resign Okafor after his latest complaints, but who knows...

6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

It was just an example, don’t need to dive that deep. But Meyers would compliment Allen well with his spacing. Mozgov and Okafor are just bodies, I wouldn’t expect Okafor to be back.

But there are other potential names, Terrence Ross is another off the top of my head.

7. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Look, I like Les Schwab, I've been doing business with them for almost 50 years, but if I'm subjected to that commercial one more time, I'm gonna have to buy another TV because this one will have a brick through it.

The Professional Fan likes this.
  8. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Les Schwab would run you out a new TV.

I mean, they do sell you more than tires.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  9. Lanny

Yeah, mufflers, brakes, rims, studs, batteries, chains.

10. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

You could take the little tv that's in the corner next to the popcorn machine....

I mean, they could deliver it to you. lol.

kjironman1 likes this.
  11. Lanny

Would they miss it?

BTW, I enjoy that they have popcorn during those long waits such as when it's snowing and I need my regular tires replaced with my already rim mounted snow tires.

Strenuus likes this.
  12. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Omer Asik. Asik has only $3M guaranteed his last year compared to Meyers $10M. Chicago is close to home and I think he could find some success there. I hope he does find success somewhere.

Darkwebs likes this.
  13. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

This one actually isn't a bad idea, as long as we resign both Nurk and Ed and are comfortable with someone like Pagagiannis on a min contract as our 3rd string center.

ESPN Trade Machine says it works. We cut Asik, sign Papagiannis (or other min contract player) and save about $6 - $7 million in salary and another 2x - 3x that amount in tax penalties.

Just don't let @swish3 see the output from the trade checker. For the Blazers it says:

Hollinger's Analysis: -17 wins
    With this trade you have decreased this team's projected wins by 17.

I think that puts to bed the question of @swish3's true identity. He's clearly John Hollinger, right down to the signature Arial font. There can't possibly be more than one person that loves Meyers' game that much.

BNM

14. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

That's hilarious

H.C., BonesJones and Boob-No-More like this.
  15. BonesJones

That Hollinger system for that trade machine is straight up stupid lmao... Doesn't take minutes into account, I guess.

16. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    That was during the April 1 game, starting at 6pm. I quickly read the fine print on the screen. The offer expired April 2. So it was fake news.

Let's say the sales department closes at 8 pm. I calculated the number of hours to decide to buy a brand new car, make decisions, and negotiate.

The game was an easy blowout. I had nothing else to do.

riverman likes this.
  17. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

I am disheartened by the discussion that this thread has turned into. This was a necessary win in which there were positives and negatives, but the drift should be upbeat. On the road to a possible Championship, Blazer fans need to find and amplify the positives.

The discussion about Meyers in this thread needs to acknowledge his excellent performance, especially after being left on the bench for so many games in March. Pay attention to the fact that Meyers achieved 3 of 4 FG shooting, 2 assists, and 5 rebounds in 19 min, and as Terry remarked, has been a valuable teammate and solid contributor.

Meyers had the best performance of the off-the-bench Blazers, and those numbers would be welcomed by any of the playoff contention teams. Instead of trotting out the tired negative statements, trade talk, and salary bashing, Blazer fans ought to be recognizing the talent and looking to the value of having him in the game. The Blazer scoring strategy would be significantly strengthened by building on Meyers talents, feeding him to allow for 3-5 swish3 scoring, and amplifying on how well he can sub for Jusuf and work with Zach and other Blazers to keep Blazer scoring at the 112-116 points per game that will probably be needed for wins in the playoffs.

This is the time to find positives and grow out of the destructive negativism that a few of those posts keep squawking. The Blazers are on the way to the playoffs, and it time to metamorphose into the fan playoff mode. I imagine that the Game Threads for the remaining games and the playoffs can espouse the Blazer theme of we are better than that (which Terry has used to overcome lapses in play), support Blazer confidence, and aim for maximizing use of talent and winning opportunities.

bobf likes this.
  18. BonesJones

What?

He's not worth his salary, because he doesnt play, because he is horrible defensively. You won't admit his flaws, while telling us we need to acknowledge that he's some godly basketball player. That's silly. Dudes a great dude living a great life while being a mediocre NBA player. Why is talking about trading him closer to home where he can play for a bad team and get minutes a bad thing? We don't need to pay $20M (we'll be in the tax next year) for our 3rd string center.

Yesterday, Meyers made 3 open layups/dunks, just as any 7'1 person should. Big deal. He played solid. So what? Paul Allen should pay $20M to keep him on the bench, which is where he belongs if he's playing for a contender?

Nice usage of the word "metamorphose", by the way.

Asking us to unconditionally praise Meyers is like asking you to stop talking about Meyers. It ain't gonna happen.

I'm always in play-off fan mode. I don't need to metamorphose. Just ask my wall.

Support Blazer confidence? They should be confident. Why do we have to constantly talk about supporting what should be a natural deposition for a professional athlete?

UKRAINEFAN likes this.