Game Thread GAME# 81: BLAZERS @ NUGGETS - APRIL 9, 2018 - MONDAY, 6:00 PM (PST), NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Apr 7, 2018.

?

Of the following teams, which would you want to win the championship?

Poll closed Apr 15, 2018.
  1. Spurs

18.5%
  2. Rockets

3.7%
  3. Thunder

14.8%
  4. Warriors

63.0%
  1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

We need someone better than Pat and AC. Someone that can attack and shoot. Someone like...

Will Barton.

%#$@

Blazers Roy likes this.
  2. SynTax

SynTax Well-Known Member

I think Stotts is a pretty mediocre coach, but I dunno how that matters. Lillard wants him here, so he'll get to stay.

A bigger issue is the fact that we had 10 assists on 31 made baskets (0 assists off the bench), to 22 assists on 31 made baskets. A lot of that is the fact that we don't have good secondary talent. It's kinda hard to fault Dame and CJ for chucking a bit when their wings are Aminu and Turner (who combined to go 1-12 on mostly open 3s). Teams just take away the PNR and double the hell outta Dame/CJ. Our bench sucks. The only other player on our roster who has been good lately is injured.

The fact is, this team isn't playing with much talent. If we get Harkless back at 100% come playoffs, I like our chances in any first round match-up, even if we lose home court. If we don't, we can expect Aminu and Turner to chuck us to a first round exit.

Titan and Darkwebs like this.
  3. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

We can move the ball by having cuts to the rim with subsequent ball/player movement.

Stotts offense lacks in cuts towards the rim.

4. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I'd be good with 6 minutes! Those 6 minutes Pat stunk up the joint. Thats all i'm askin!

kjironman1 and TBpup like this.
  5. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

But he is the one who could substitute a sharp defender who has a nice shot in for a cold shooting 2 guard who thinks he's Curly Neal of the Globetrotters. On a night when no one could hit open shots from the perimeter, a smothering defender could have gotten steals that led to open break shots at the hoop. We sat in disbelief as CJ time and time again thinks he's a hotdog dribbling sensation, who likes to take on three defenders, and then drives in and ignores open teammates. Stotts totally had blinders to this act again.

Strenuus and Scalma like this.
  6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Silver lining is golden state has incentive to beat Utah tomorrow. If Utah gets third seed they would play the warriors in the second round, assuming Houston advances as well. Nobody wants to play Utah.

Darkwebs likes this.
  7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

My favorite CJ moment was when he stole the ball and had Collins next to him on the fast break and decided to run right into Zach’s lane. He made the layup but because he did that, it was a contested shot instead of an easy dump off to Zach for a layup or dunk. Selfish prick.

AFully22 likes this.
  8. SynTax

SynTax Well-Known Member

Teams are just taking away passing lanes. It's pretty easy to do when you're okay with either Turner or Aminu chucking a three instead. There's more cutting with Hark, because he opens up the court. Even then, I'd agree there's not enough. But again, Dame likes Stotts, so Stotts will probably be here a long while.

And don't get me wrong - I'm anti-Stotts. I dislike his inability to adapt to anything and the fact that he wants bad offensive players taking jump shots. But the fact stands that we have really poor overall talent. Hopefully next year Zach can earn that four spot, and we get a healthy Harkless back. Aminu off the bench is a much more valuable player than Aminu starting at the four, in my opinion.

Titan likes this.
  9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

sad outlook Stren...I've heard them praise him many times...publicly..you can water that down but I wouldn't understand why you'd want to..guys are invested in the team and the city....what's not to like?

10. HolyBackboard

HolyBackboard 2 Hot 2 Stop It

After taking a little time to let that one digest by watching a little Brooklyn Nine Nine, here are my thoughts:
    • Jusuf Nurkic is starting to look like the player we all hoped we would become after last spring's outbreak of Nurk Fever. He's becoming more patient in the post, the accuracy of his shots in the paint has improved, and he's dominating the paint on both ends of the floor. On this road trip alone, he's shooting a staggering 29/45 -- 64.4% -- from the field, scoring 14.8 points, pulling down 13.8 boards, and adding in a blocked shot per contest for good measure. Yet, Coach Stotts is only playing him 30 minutes per night over the course of these last four games and Nurk's attempting just 11 FGAs. While everyone else is slowing down, our Bosnian Beast is revving up.
    • Coach Terry Stotts is panicking. He looked like Thibs out there tonight, playing every starter not named Nurkic 34+ minutes on the end of a long four-game road trip in the altitude of the Mile High City. Where's the trust in the bench? Swanigan provided incredible minutes in the 2nd, especially on defense, Shabazz, sans his 2-10 outing, was a hound once again on defense, and our spark plus Ed Davis only gets 15 minutes of run.
    • More Stotts. We will never win a championship with him at the helm. If there's such thing as being "too much" of a player's coach, it's him. Every single player on the team has the green light which leads to some of the most undisciplined offense I can remember watching as a Trail Blazers fan. Why are we running sets for Evan Turner? Why is Aminu hoisting up EIGHT triples? Why does Collins shoot from 3 every single time he touches the ball without one thought of moving it around for a better possession? And why in the hell can he not figure out how to incorporate Jusuf Nurkic into the offense? There is zero accountability for a poor shot. We should have beat that Denver team by 15+ points tonight but we got reckless on offense and continued to jack up three after three. Sound familiar?
    • While we did attempt 33 3-pointers, that's been in line with our averages from the months of February, March, and now April. A lot of those looks were good but the ball didn't drop. Personally, I'd like to see the team adapt in-game and realize Denver had zero rim protectors (like every team we faced on this trip) and attack the paint with the opportunity for free throws but these are the Portland Trail Blazers and this is their brand of basketball. Until Terry Stotts moves away from the 3-point philosophy or a new coach is hired, this is who we are. We will live and die by the 3-point shot. And the way it's going right now, start planning those vacations at the end of April because it's going to be an incredibly quick postseason exit.

UKRAINEFAN, WillG, AmirIcon and 4 others like this.
  11. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

We're old enough to understand public statements mean nothing.

LMA told us a lot, too.

If my FRIEND says something to me, that's different.

Public figures? Nothing to trust about them unless I hear it without any publicity.

I'm not naive. lol.

BonesJones likes this.
  12. tykendo

No doubt about it. There is no other option. Win and get ready to KICK ARSE! Might as well stay positive. Shots gotta fall sooner or later, don't they? Go Blazers!!

BonesJones likes this.
  13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

sad outlook...trust is not a sign of immaturity or a character flaw...it is a choice. everyone has a truth meter...sometimes we get fooled but I listen to Dame and Ed talk about the team and I get no caution lights or red flags....comes with age...intuition ..Dame is not Lamarcus....bad comparison

14. tykendo

He looked truly tired tonight. We all know how great he is, but sometimes it's nice when the other guys pick him up. Tonight needed to be one of those nights.

kjironman1 and BonesJones like this.
  15. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Sometimes there is addition by subtraction.

UncleCliffy'sDaddy likes this.
  16. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

17. tester551

We're going to need him to help contain Mitchell

BonesJones likes this.
  18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Lol Stotts is gonna let Mitchell go off on CJ and do absolutely nothing about it.

BonesJones likes this.
  19. tester551

Give it a few months, & Stotts will coach that right out of him

TBpup, Strenuus, WillG and 1 other person like this.
  20. tester551

Where was that quote at?

Also, actions speak louder than words. If Stotts has issues with his play, sit his ass down.

BonesJones likes this.