Game Thread GAME# 9: NETS @ BLAZERS - NOVEMBER 8, 2019 - FRIDAY, 7:00 PM, NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Nov 7, 2019.

?

Who's your favorite Blazers bench player to watch?

Poll closed Nov 14, 2019.
  1. Bazemore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Brown

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Hezonja

6.3%
  4. Hoard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Labissiere

4.2%
  6. Little

6.3%
  7. Simons

81.3%
  8. Trent Jr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. None

2.1%
  1. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    nope...….We got upper handed by Kyrie and Dinwiddie. Losing to a team with a Dinwiddie at home is embarrassing.

2. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    You should be our team doctor. +

3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Not totally unexpected.

Really happy Olshey took a swing. Hopefully they can put it together for the playoffs. If not, let the rebuild/ retool/ remodel begin

4. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Wow. wtf. Really Blazers?

Dame is on a legit MVP run. Not gonna get it though because we cant win....,

how many games are we going to have the lead in the fourth quarter and lose?

someone wanna make a pole in a new thread?

Darkwebs likes this.
  5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I mean it’s probably sarcasm but the only injury I really talk about is Nurks as I had something similar happen to me when I was younger. It looks bad, and the rehab is long, but I bet Nurks knee injury in Denver when he tore a tendon was more serious.

stampedehero likes this.
  6. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Hood was out of the game. And has been injured 3 of the last four games. Out of 9 games this season.
    CJ literally missed 8 wide open looks on his 19 shots. Seriously how is that the coaches fault? There is an old metric hardly ever used by stat guys but is widely used with players. "More points than shots". For CJ to have more points than shots he would have had to make 5 more shots if you throw a 3 pointer in there. Here is another thing. He makes just enough to give him an ok game and the Blazers win this going away. Here is another look. CJ shot exactly ZERO free throws. You absolutely cannot tell me with as many times as he drove to the basket he never got fouled. CJ got hammered three or four times and did not get a call. CJ is hitting free throws at 92% this year. Safe to say he shoots 8 free throws and he makes 7 of them.
    Funny stat on CJ last night. He lead the team on the +- stat with +6. I hate that stat for this very reason.
    As far as Bazemore goes? He is a 3 and D player. What are you looking for?

We can even take this one step further. 1M was on the court 36 mins. Great to see him getting some solid burn. But he also only shot 5-14 overall and 2-7 from 3pt. One more three and one more two and the Blazers win. Would you like me to address 2-9 for Mario or 4 of 10 for Hassan?

The 11 assists for the Blazers tells a story and it ain't that Stotts wasn't calling plays.

stampedehero likes this.
  7. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

It's time to start talking about SOS. As they approach 10 games it's fair to have this conversation. First off to the point the Blazers rank 5th overall for SOS. But you also have to add the B2B and road games to the ranking. They have had the #1 hardest schedule in the league to this point. You add multiple injuries to that metric and all of the sudden 3-6 doesn't look as bad. They absolutely should be 5-4 in my opinion but that is another point.
    http://powerrankingsguru.com/nba/strength-of-schedule.php

Darkwebs likes this.
  8. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    So much this....for several years now. For a variety of reason. I've been on the 'CJ needs to move to get this team to the next level' train for 3 years and that is not changing anytime soon. He's got game, but needs to have his own team. His style is not conducive as a #2. When he gets the ball, he thinks he is option 1, 1A and 2B (for Star Trek fans) and so incredibly rarely is there an option to a wide open teammate given how often there are wide open teammates in abundace because he does draw a lot of defenders to him.

And Stotts has enabled this for years.

9. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

I feel the same, I'd be up for trading him for Aaron Gordon - seems about as good as we can do. Gordon also off to a rough start but is a solid PF and still young at 24 and on a pretty decent contract compared to Otto Porter

TBpup and Darkwebs like this.
  10. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

I didn’t say he shouldn’t have or didn’t need to score 60. I’m saying a recipe for winning doesn’t include a point guard scoring like that, obviously, and the guy needs help. CJ didn’t forget how to play basketball over the summer.

kjironman1 likes this.
  11. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Only happened once. Somebody showed BRoy that I said we wouldn’t make the playoffs after Greg and Przybilla went down back to back. He called me out. He said something like, “I’ll show you!” And he did.

12. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I've noticed that also. I hope the coaches have noticed and somehow make it easier for him to relax and do the right things.

13. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

That want Harkless said 2 years ago and got bench for it I guess he wasn't wrong.

tester551 and BonesJones like this.
  14. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with any part of what you said.

Where I think people over simplify things is that if you double someone, it will be easy to score. If that would the case, teams around the NBA would never double team, yet they do all the time. The #1 thing you can do to prevent double-teams is to roll out 5 threats on the court. We rarely, if ever have 5 guys on the court that can act as playmakers. Frankly, we often only have 2 or 3. In those cases, teams can double Dame, cover our playmakers, and force guys like Whiteside to get the ball at 18ft and make a decision.

Please draw up an offensive set that you think would get a quality look time in and time out. I would happily show you how I think most teams would defend it.

When you roll out a flawed roster, you're going to have flawed results.

kjironman1, Darkwebs and Cugel like this.
  15. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    It's a build/development/repair year.
    I do feel bad for Dame since he is just off the charts good at the moment. Continue this type of play on a great team and he could be a fave for MVP. That is amazing but the problem is obvious.

I liked seeing Nas out there and he was everywhere on the court. Start him. Same for Simons...start him. Having Ant go up against a guy like Kyrie is exactly what he needs and he did pretty good.

yes I am sure these are dumb ideas but with this many injuries the choices are limited. Just get the young guys real minutes.

16. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I wasn't going to say this, but the sense of, not a basketball team, is so strong, I must.

Last night probably was the worst game of basketball played by a Blazer team in my memory. Exception for some of stinkers of the Jail Blazer era non teams.

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The worst Blazer ball I ever watched was the lockout season with Raymond Felton and Luke Babbitt ….dribbling off the foot was every other play and the highlight of most games was hoping Babbitt would get fans a chalupa after the game. Dame scoring 60 and almost winning a game we were not executing was actually pretty amazing to watch. Yeah....4 of our starters combined for 7 pts at halftime...that's not going to win games but with Lillard….you always have a shot

18. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    A shot at the team scoring record. Not much else.

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Dame wasn't thinking about a title..he was trying to win a game he almost won....we just came up short behind a great effort by him.....if we were blown out it'd be different...losing that game wasn't even close to the worst Blazer ball I've watched and I don't have to go back to the Jail Blazers to reference one....our 29 win lockout season takes the cake in my view..considering Hood and Skal went down in this game it's amazing we didn't get blown out

20. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    It reminded me of Stoudamire going for 60 while the team looked on. Yes Lillard is more talented, but the results are the same.
    I suppose to be charitable, I could say, it was a grand example of Lillardball.