game thread: blazers and warriors

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by AgentDrazenPetrovic, Oct 8, 2008.

1. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

Laker fan checking in.

Just wanted to know, since you guys can watch the game, and I can't....

How was Rudy? I mean judging by the box score he played amazingly. 5 more rebounds, 3 more assists, and 4 more steals and he couldve had a quadruple double...but how was his play?

Looks like Oden did well again. Wait til he is primed and ready for these games, he'll be even better.

2. AgentDrazenPetrovic

AgentDrazenPetrovic Anyone But the Lakers

Sure, but do you want Roy looking to set up other players or do you want him to be a focus of the offense? A point guard should look to lead the offense and get everyone involved. Bayless, to me, seems more suited as an offensive gun. It was obvious in the summer league and its starting to show as we watch him.

3. Tortimer

Tortimer Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong with Bayless. He did make some mistakes trying to feed Joel and that is just learning where and if you should pass it to Joel. I think it would have really helped if Roy was out there. I do think we missed Webster. It was only one game but he was cutting to the basket and looking for passes last night. I did think Batum looked pretty good tonight. I'm still not sure about how much time he will get but if Outlaw can't play with the starters any better then he did tonight we might have to give him more time. Outlaw also started slow last year before getting in to a rhythm. I think Oden played a little better tonight and can see him improving. He is really going to help us when he is in condition and playing 30+ minutes a game. The only thing I care about right now is I hope Rudy isn't injured that bad.

4. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Bayless had nobody else on the summer league team, I don't think thats a very good sample of his skills.

5. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Sweet, I can already feel Jack vs. Sergio: part II brewing. I can't wait :banghead:

6. AgentDrazenPetrovic

30 min. 0 assists. 5 turnovers.

7. Tortimer

I don't agree about Bayless. I think he is learning and actually made a few good pass seting up players. He made mistakes but that is what I was expecting trying to learn to be a PG. A good portion of the time tonight he was playing with Sergio and playing the SG. I think eventually he could be the perfect fit for us playing along side Roy. I love his attitude and think with Rudy and Bayless we have a couple guys that this team needs.

8. Nikolokolus

Rudy had flashes of brilliance, and is a pure dynamo on the court trying to make things happen, but he had kind of a sloppy night passing the ball, so it was a mixed bag.

As for Oden, he just needs to get his wind, but even without it, he put up some nice numbers in 19 minutes of action (I don't recall if he even took to the court after the first half?)

9. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    Sounded like Rudy was in good spirits afterward in the postgame on the radio...
    But too bad we had to hear the daily dumb Katy Brown questions to Rudy, asking him if he was OK playing 30-plus mins. Ugh..

10. JFizzleRaider

lol it's his 2nd game! Jack was doing that in his 3rd season. Bayless is a rookie. Give him some time, then you can bash him all you want.

Right now it just seems a little premature.

Bash Travis, it's like his 5th or 6th year and he sucks.

11. AgentDrazenPetrovic

Don't get me wrong, I love his attitude and he seems great defensively and intense. However, I really think he is best suited as a shooting guard...attacking the rim, shooting a lot of shots, rolling off the rim. His court vision is not the best nor is his ball handling and passing. He does best to create shots and attack the rim, not quite what I look for in a point guard.

12. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    Rudy can still change the tempo of the game when he's in there. He even showed glimpses of being able to take over when things slowed up and we got down big.
    I think he has an ability to get a triple-double, or fill up the stat sheet big time like Roy can.

13. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

Yeah Rudy was fun to watch in the Olympics....I didn't sleep and just watched all the China (I'm chinese), USA, Argentina, and Spain games. And he was amazing to watch, real fun, and I imagined what he could do in an offense like Golden States or D'Antoni's fastbreaking offense. KP did a great job for your team in terms of drafting and trading in the past 2-3yrs.

I agree with you on Oden. He hasn't gotten back in the NBA game pace shape, but once he does he can get scary. He's more bulked up than I remember him being, that is really nice.

14. Tortimer

The two guys I would bash tonight IMO would be Outlaw and Diogu. I thought both of those guys played terrible especially Travis. I'm just hoping Outlaw is a slow starter like last year.

15. JFizzleRaider

Just an FYI, Jack had 8 turnovers tonight, so only having 5 is an improvement :lol:

16. Nikolokolus

I think that's a fair assessment, I just don't think it's fair to assess him yet. Preseason is all about working out the kinks, and getting these rookies and other youngsters used to the NBA game.

Who knows, maybe Jerryd won't work out in the long run for this team, but I think all of our rookies deserve at least until January or February before we get too involved in breaking down their game; of course that won't happen, but in a perfect world ...

17. JFizzleRaider

Couldn't agree more, they both suck!

18. AgentDrazenPetrovic

I can only go with what I've seen. I'm not saying he won't work out, I just don't see any redeemable point guard qualities in him. I think he is the type of player that thrives on scoring and being an offensive threat.

19. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    I think Diogu would be good in spurts to spell LaMarcus, but playing 16 mins is way too much like he did tonight. Or I'd much rather prefer seeing how Channing fits into this group.

I just want to see this group with a full healthy roster, and see how everyone fits in which won't happen for a few months with Martell out.

20. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Exactly what I've said since we drafted him.

His speed is amazing and he can score at will, but it is unfair and stupid to play him out of position.

Oden isn't a PG either.