game thread: blazers and warriors

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by AgentDrazenPetrovic, Oct 8, 2008.

1. AgentDrazenPetrovic

AgentDrazenPetrovic Anyone But the Lakers

Oden has better court vision and can probably run the offense better than Bayless. Not bashing bayless, but I think his ideal position is a SG. Seeing him run the point looked exactly like he did in summer league where the offense was stagnant. Once Bayless became selfish and just played his natural position, he was awesome. IMO, its like asking Iverson to run the point.

2. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

You might be right about him.

It's funny, despite some of Sergio's turnovers tonight and his defense not being as good as Bayless', I'm actually much more comfortable with him running the offense and being on the court right now; Sergio looks like a completely different player and corrected the flaws in his game that I thought were critical to him having any kind of success in the NBA. (I can't believe I just wrote this sentence, based on the way I felt about El chacho at the end of last year)

It's going to be a bit like Blazers Survivor this season, as we learn who sticks with the team and who gets voted off the island, it's all going to boil down to who fits best with Brandon, LMA and Greg. I say let the chips fall where they may.

3. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    I agree about Sergio. I love the way he's playing and running the team. 8 points and 10 assists in 29 mins. He's racking up the assists like he did his rookie year but he's playing a lot more controlled, and I don't go 'OH NO' if he shoots it.
    I would give him the backup PG minutes over Jerryd at this point.

4. Tortimer

Tortimer Well-Known Member

I still say it is way to early to be picking on Bayless after only 2 games. I still say he looks like he can learn to be a PG IMO. I think eventually if not soon will be better playing PG with Roy then Sergio. I do think Sergio has improved his game from last year. That really isn't saying much I thought he was terrinle last year. I still predict by the all star game Bayless will be our starting PG unless we decide that Roy and Rudy can start together in the backcourt. I also would like to see how Blake plays with Oden and Rudy. Maybe Blake is a good enough PG with his hard work this off season.

5. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

ahh, the manic-depressive message board, I've missed you. Welcome back.

About the only thing I'm worried about right now is the injuries.

Bayless' assist total would have been higher (the only way is up) if players like Aldridge and Outlaw would have hit a few more jumpers. I remember a few instances were he set them up with open shots, but he doesn't get an assist if it doesn't go in. Still, I've already said I think it's obvious Sergio has been the better PG. But both (and Rudy) turned it over way too much, and most were of the God-awful variety. Anyone who thought the team wouldn't have growing pains in the regular season, much less the second pre-season game, are delusional. Bayless is quick, he pushes the ball and gets to the rim, and he can hit the outside shot. Plus, he has the attitude and ability that will make him a good defensive gaurd. Rookies get better, players get better, just like Sergio, give him some time!

Maybe the one thing other than injuries that does bother me is that Travis and Batum are just about our only SF's now, and Travis doesn't play well with the starters (like, at all), so I wonder what'll happen there.

Considering we didn't have Webster, Frye, Blake, Roy, Oden, Joel, or Aldridge playing for most of the fourth, I'm not surprised at how we looked on either end.

6. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    Ugh... dumb Katy Brown question...
    To Greg:
    "You were stuck on nine rebounds in the game for a long time, were you disappointed not to get a double double?"

Geez... it's preseason there Katy...

7. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    I think that's one thing I love about it... there are several people from OLive, the old forum and here and BlazersEdge who can and want to dissect every thing about every game even in the preseason... it's fun. Though it gets ridiculous sometimes with trading people already, I'm glad we have the fanbase that we do.

8. SodaPopinski

SodaPopinski Tigers love pepper

Rudy with what McMillan is deeming a "non-serious sprained left ankle" per the Oregonian's Joe Freeman. Probably won't play Friday.

-Pop

9. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

My internet went down near the end of the fourth, and since it doesn't seem like I missed any miracle comebacks, I wanted to clarify a bit.

I agree with everyone that 2 games is not enough to label a guy a bust or hero. I'm not saying Bayless is Jack Revisited, or that Batum will be a Great Golden Deity at the SF position. But 2 games (and a FanFest:)) ARE enough to see where the players are RIGHT NOW.

RIGHT NOW, can anyone say legitimately that you've seen any inkling of Travis working this summer on defense or court vision or improving his court awareness? Has he added anything to his offensive arsenal? Has he, to put it bluntly, looked like he's worked on ANYTHING remotely associated with KP/Nate's directive that the starting 3 be a defensive stopper that can hopefully shoot the 3? Maybe he's been waiting to unveil it on K*be...I don't know. But you practice how you play, and I'm not seeing anything to tell me he warrants the starting position, or any other position than a me-first gunner. If that doesn't change quickly, he will be exposed, his minutes will drop, and his value right with it. If he's not a part of the Long Great Championship Future, it behooves us to sell high on Travis and acquire the Mystical Missing Piece.

Bayless seems to have the skills to be a great scorer, but we knew that when he was drafted. It was confirmed at Summer League. Is he also hiding improvement he's made over the summer and training camp? Just about everyone says "oooh, look at the strides Batum's made since we saw him last" and "Sergio got bigger, got a jumper and looks like a pro running the offense" and "Rudy seems to have integrated quickly". How come no one's saying (or maybe you are, and I'm not listening) "look how much better JB is at running the offense"? Or "I thought he'd be a gunner like Jack, but he's really a better facilitator than I thought he'd be". Because he isn't, and he isn't.

That being said, both still probably have a ton of value. Trading them now doesn't wait until the stigma festers, the questions start arriving, they (in Outlaw's case) get exposed, and the value is low. If we can get one of the finishing touches (veteran defensive SF or stud, pass-first PG) using either of these two pieces (or both), I put them in the "you have to give talent to get talent" category and go on my way.

I'm not trying to flame or make doom-and-gloom predictions. But to say that we're hunky-dory b/c it's just preseason and the kids are young seems short-sighted to me.