GAME THREAD: BLAZERS @ PISTONS - DECEMBER 9, 2014 - TUESDAY, 4:30 PM (PST), CSN

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Eastoff, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

im not a fan of his fade away shots, but i mean damn... the dude is straight money... he's single handely won us 2-3 games already. the man may have his weaknesses, but the pros far outweigh them.

2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Yup, Aldridge is the leading scorer and leading rebounder on a team that is 17-4. If that's considered "hurting his team" I'll take it.

BNM

3. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

You know what's funny? You obviously do not know how to read stats. LA averaged 20.6 last year and 19.3 so far this year. Duncan has never done that. Back when he took less shots, his FG% was much higher, which supports my point that he should be a bit more selective with his shots.

4. Sinobas

That is such a cop out though. He's the leading scorer, thus, it doesn't matter how many shots he misses. I guess if Portland won the game, his missed shots must be helping the team. You people....

5. Sinobas

Then you don't have a grasp on what good offense is. 38% from the field is bad.

6. Sinobas

Why don't you read my comments to LA and Mike Rice.

7. Sinobas

So far, none of you have refuted anything I said with any kind of logic or reasoning.

8. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

So if we are winning and you aren't happy with LMA's play then logic tells me you must feel that LMA's inefficient shooting will eventually hurt us and cause us to lose more? Because in the end winning is what matters. Am I understanding you right? I'm trying to see the logic in your arguments.

9. Sinobas

I want the team to win, and don't care about an individual player accumulating a lot of points. For example, how would you guys feel if we had Kobe Bryant on our team instead of LA, and he was putting up 20 shots a game, leading us in scoring, yet was one of the least efficient in the league at it? Wouldn't you want to see him cut back on his shots?

10. Boise Blazer

I get that you want them to win but you kind of didn't answer my question, do you think they will lose if they continue going to LMA as they have been and him taking the shots that he has been?

11. Sinobas

Of course they are going to lose. Winning and losing is a % game just like shooting is. The point is, I think the team would score more points if LA cut back on those forced mid range jumpers.

12. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

You do understand that the threat of LMA taking those "forced" mid range jumpers opens the court for the rest of our players, right? That our success beyond the 3pt line is a direct result of teams having to defend LMA? Maybe instead of just looking at one cog in our offensive machine you look at it as a whole. I know you watch the games because you're in the game threads throwing out negative generalities on a possession by possession basis.

13. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Well Sir, I am not sure any sort of reasoning will help you, but I will give one short take.

I would like to see a better climax to a possession than and Aldridge fade a way. However, I am not about to hang that observation around his neck like a it was a fault.

The Blazers play in the NBA which has a 24 second rule, which means, you must take a shot, within 24 seconds, starting count down at the time you control the ball sufficiently to count as a possession.

Portland's offense under this coach now has some plays and a system approach to the game that was sorely missing with the previous coaches of the past ten years. When Aldridge takes that shot, the fade a way, when most of us would like to see something better, perhaps he and his team would also. However, it probably is the best shot the team is going to get out of the current 24 second possession. Although the time on the shot clock may not be chuck it up time, the time is too short to restart a set. LA's fade away is better that pissing away more time until it is chuck it up time for another teammate.

Just imagine what his shooting percentage could be if he we not the man tabbed to make the attempt, and the set had one more cut, one more screen, or the previous one had succeeded. But, as it is, he take the attempt, time to move on, perhaps the next possession will run like a fine clock.

Darkwebs likes this.
  14. Boise Blazer

What leads you to believe that he will shoot worse than he has been? What will change? And what then makes you think that it happens to the severity that we start to lose? That's really just a guess on your part. For all the stats you have posted your argument still boils down to a guess because there are no stats that are going to confirm that he will start shooting worse and that we will lose as a result. You of course are welcome to your opinion but it is no more than a guess.

15. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

No, the threat of him forcing mid-range J's doesn't do anything. Yes, the "threat" of LMA taking those jumpers opens the court. However, all the open space in the world means nothing if he doesn't pass the ball to them and takes a low-percentage shot.

1) LMA can make wide-open jumpshots with ease. 3pt shots at about 40-50% (small sample), mid-range at a very high percentage (let's say, just for grins, 70%. Maybe a bit higher or lower, but close).
    2) Because of #1, teams are forced to have a player guard him closely. Sometimes they even use 2 players.
    3) Because of #2, the rest of the team has less defensive pressure (call it "spacing", "opening the court", "defense has to rotate", whatever), when the ball is passed to them.
    4) If the ball isn't passed to them, #3 doesn't matter.
    5) LMA does not always pass the ball when double-teamed.
    6) LMA does not always pass the ball when guarded closely.
    7) When #5 and #6 occur, LMA takes some number (between 1 and 10) of "closely guarded" or "double-teamed" shot per game.
    8) When #8 occurs, LMA is taking a very-low-percentage shot at the expense of one of the rest of our players taking a wide-open, little-defensive-pressure shot.
    9) When #9 occurs, our team's efficiency (the amount of points you get for every possession) goes down, because LMA taking a heavily-contested two-point shot nets fewer points per possession than Wes or Dame or Nic or Crabbe taking a wide-open 3-point shot or driving the lane.

No one is saying for him to not shoot wide-open jumpers (even wide-open "mid-range" jumpers, though those would be better from 3 ;) ). No one is saying not to abuse a smaller/less-skilled player if able (like when they try to guard him with Quincy Acy. What sinobas has shown is that LMA does #7 more than he should, and the offense is not as effective (or efficient) when he does. If every time he was double-teamed he passed out to an open shooter (instead of taking a low-percentage shot), it would either a) keep happening, in which case he keeps passing out and our shooters shoot lots of open 3s or b) they stop double-teaming him and he abuses smaller/worse defenders one-on-one, which gets him back to higher-percentage shots.

I don't get the hate.

16. trailblazer18

trailblazer18 Well-Known Member

This ^

LA's mid range game is much more than the shot being taken in a given possession. The threat of the shot and the itself opens up the floor and creates a great dynamic for the team on the offensive end that other teams don't get. That is why stretch fours a popular in the NBA.

You could compare it to a running game that sets up the play action pass in football. Those 2 and 3 yard runs aren't very efficient, but that 50 yard TD pass on play action would never happen without them.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  17. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I would say the Blazers as a whole did not play smart last night. Too many bad shots and careless passes. I support LA taking a lot of mid range shots, but last night he forced too many.

They keep winning but they can play a lot better. I still would like to see them get more of the 50/50 balls that hit the floor. They do a great job of rebounding, but not so well in regards to loose balls.

I love that I can bitch about this when over the last 15 games they are winning 90% of them......

18. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I agree for the most part, with the exception that Aldridge needs to drain some of those "low efficiency" shots to keep the defense honest. The fact that he gets doubled 15-20ft from the basket says more about his reputation.

If Aldridge only shoots when he's wide open, then teams will play him like they did when Roy was here. Soft pressure to get the ball out of his hands and take out the perimeter.

I will admit, I want him inside the most. He is stronger than any other PF in the game. Back the fuckers down and get to the line or pass to a wide open 3.

But he must keep defense honest with that dirk type mid range post up. It's important for the flow of Stotts game plan

19. BrianFromWA

no, I don't think you can, (in fact, I think it's much more similar to the triple-option), but let's run with your analogy.

If you say "I will run some running plays to set up the play-action", I get it. Understand, though, that even on those running plays you're placing the effort of the play to get the best possible outcome. You know that you will most likely not get a 50-yard TD (though it sometime can happen). But you still have everyone block really hard, you still have the best running back on the team taking the ball, and you set yourself up for the best possible outcome for the team as a result of that play. Which is why I think your analogy doesn't work here, and it's the triple-option one.

In a triple-option, you can go multiple ways. You can hand the ball off to the fullback for the dive, which will most likely not get a lot of yards but you can't cheat off of it or else he'll run right up the middle for a long gain. (In our offense, this is the "LMA setting up at 18' for an initial entry pass" or something. If you leave him open (or guard him with a sub-standard defender), he'll score easily, which is why you have to guard him). If that option is covered, the QB takes a pre-conceived pathway/direction to try to get the best play out of it--like running strong side or weak side along the line. (This might be our pre-conceived play, like Dame getting the ball back and running a pick-and-roll and attacking the hoop). If the defense guards both the FB dive and the QB option such that the QB decides that taking either of those options will be sub-optimal, he can pitch to the wingback following (this would be one of our shooters camped out at the 3pt line).

I have no problem with this progression. LMA has a lot of tools and can score efficiently in a lot of different ways, so there's no heartburn with trying to start the offense off through him (the FB dive play). But most of the time the opponent will try to take that away with putting a superior defender or double-team on him. The next option is usually to have Dame run a P&R with him, which again I have no problem with...best ballhandler and long-range shooter on the team working with the most skilled big-man in a play. Usually, though, the defense is trying to take away Dame's drives as well. Which ends up with either the ball in LMA's hands on a pretty open shot (great! efficient!) or at the 3point line with one of the shooters (great! efficient!) or Dame barreling down the lane into a wall of bodies (great if he gets the foul called or makes it, sucks if he doesn't).

the TL;dr version? Exploit the defense with stuff you do well. LMA shoots wide-open shots very well. LMA abuses smaller/poorer defenders down low very well. He does not shoot contested shots well, and he doesn't shoot fadeaways over double-teams well. Dame shoots open 3's well. Dame does not shoot contested 3's very well, but b/c they're worth 3 rather than 2 it's more efficient to take a contested 3 than a contested 2 (with the %'s the team shoots them). Nic and Wes (and Crabbe and Blake) shoot open 3's well. There should be no reason for LMA to shoot a contested shot when our shooters are open, just as there is no reason for Dame to drive against a double- or triple-team when LMA is open for the "pop" or the wings are open in the corners. Just as there is no reason to go 1-on-3 on a break instead of waiting for your teammates to show up.

20. BrianFromWA

I disagree with this. If they give "soft pressure" in order to stay with guys on the perimeter, he now (versus 5 years ago) will abuse them. I didn't say "if soft pressure comes, don't shoot". If you recall the game thread from 3 nights ago, I was screaming for him to keep shooting with Acy "guarding" him. Quincy Acy is not the same as, say, ANthony Davis or a double-team (or, Heaven forbid, shooting against a double-team with Anthony Davis as one of them--how many times did that happen?!). There's a difference between backing down Reggie Evans and backing down Kyle Singler. Keep shooting if they're guarding you with Acy/Singler/JJ Hickson/Love. They'll either adjust or you'll score 40. Don't keep shooting if they're throwing a double at you (your teammates are now open!) or if you're not getting good shots. LMA's good, but if it's LMA-vs-Davis at the same time as it's Dame v. Jrue Holiday, let Dame run for a while.