Game Thread: Boston @ Toronto (04/07)

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by Chutney, Nov 3, 2007.

1. hollagr8

hollagr8 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MosDefinitely)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

What calls are you talking about specifically?

The officiating is never going to be 100% correct but the game's outcome wasnt due to the officials, they let them play so I really wanna get your feedback on what specific calls you thought were horrible?</p>

</div></p>

Are you kidding me? The refs let them play? Yeah... you guys. We "committed" 28 fouls in this game, and I would say 8 of them were bad calls or should have been no-calls, such as Posey standing completely still and Ford ran into the pick/fell. That's not a foul, because Posey didn't move and was there a second before Ford ran into him. Then you've got them calling offensive goaltending on KG when the ball was under the rim, nobody had a hand on the ball, and Chris Bosh's hand actually grabbed the net. Then you've got them calling an over-the-back on Pierce when he was actually in front of and underneath Bargnani. Then you've got Pierce jumping for a rebound off the free throw, jumping straight up with really no contact, and they call a foul. Then you've got 3 Raptors bumping Perk inside, then after 3 bumps they call a travel. Then you've got a ton of ticky-tack fouls where Perk/KG lightly tapped a Raptor player... it's a physical game, or should be. Bodies will touch... but just because they touch doesn't mean it's a foul.</p>

I don't understand how anybody can watch that game and not see how horrendously one-sided that game was officiated, no offense.</p>

</p>

</div></p>

Okay, I'm the Raps fan that generally gets every fan from another team riled up. Don't get ignorant being a moderator and all. You guys got lucky in the offseason and haven't seen a championship in the longest while, so I understand why you're hungry. Posey set up a screen with his back to Ford but deliberately had an obstruction on Ford's natural course of travel. That was a terrible foul. Bosh makes those plays and Garnett was right under him on the shot, how can you not call that a foul on him when Bosh had positioned his body. I honesly believe you Celtic fans think that the NBA should just give you an NBA title now that you have 3 all-stars. Don't be ignorant. I thought this ignorance was only bestowed on Nets fans but now I'm slowly losing respect for you Celtic fans too. Be a good winner, seriously be a good winner.</p>

</p>

2. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

So now I'm ignorant because I don't think this game was properly officiated? And because of that, I fall under some category that leads you to believe that "us Celtics fans" think we should be handed victories and a title? That's ignorance on your part. I'm shocked that you guys honestly feel like calls were fair, to tell you the truth. I'm very happy that we got the win, but there's no way in hell these referees did a good job.</p>

3. MosDefinitely

MosDefinitely Member

Not trying to turn this into an arguement or debate but whenever I watch basketball games I usually dont put too much emphasis on every single call, fouls are called thats the nature of the game...some are right, wrong, and late but whatever it happens all the time. Whenever the Raps lose a game I never blame the refs because they are just trying to do their job to the best of their ability. Anyways, the reason I brought it up however was because I read your blog and in your last paragraph you suggested the NBA watch the game tape to investigate the officiating and I just thought that was a little bit of a reach for a couple bad calls that didnt go your way thats all.

Anyways would enjo your blog more if you included more info about how the Raptors played today but thats just coming from a fan, I know your doing a Boston Celtics blog.</p>

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

5. hollagr8

If those are the only 2 calls you put in question, I don't know what to tell ya. I've got 100's of Celtics fans who feel the same way and know that we were killed by the officials. Hell, even a Raptor fan on another site had this to say:</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'></p>

Yes, I was at the realgm chatroom, going wild, praising the refs on how they are saving our asses. I'm not denying that cause it's the truth.</p>

</div></p>

I'm not a biased fan either, and I usually just laugh when Tommy Heinsohn makes good calls sound terrible just because they are against us... but today was horrid and unbearable for me.</p>

</div></p>

Maybe you shouldn't watch games then. In fact, maybe you shouldn't have Garnett, Allen or Paul Pierce playing for Boston then. I respect all them guys but I also saw a play where Garnett got a three-point play with Bosh guarding and Garnett didn't even get touched. Don't get riled up. I mean, that's the only game you're winning from the Raptors this season. You and your 3-deep team.</p>

</p>

6. hollagr8

So now I'm ignorant because I don't think this game was properly officiated? And because of that, I fall under some category that leads you to believe that "us Celtics fans" think we should be handed victories and a title? That's ignorance on your part. I'm shocked that you guys honestly feel like calls were fair, to tell you the truth. I'm very happy that we got the win, but there's no way in hell these referees did a good job.</p>

</div></p>

All I want Celtics fans to say is: Wow, it was a close game.. I'm glad Allen hit the 3.. we'll see you again. Don't make it out like you should blow us out, cuz there ain't no way Boston would ever blow out the Raptors. You can buy your players, you can't buy games. Ignorance. Yes, you are. Plus, there were several phantom calls on Bosh on Garnett that allowed Garnett to go to the line a couple of times before the 4th quarter. What about those? Or are you so one track minded only looking at Boston's plays?</p>

</p>

7. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shapecity)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

</p>

</div></p>

</p>

Beat me to it. I wanted to use that smilie for the first time.

The officiating was pretty weak, but I'd be careful not to discount the Raptors' defensive effort today. Bargnani shut down KG in the first half and aside from letting Ray Allen go off (mainly because of Kapono), the Raps played excellent team D to keep them in the game when their shots just weren't falling.</p>

8. Shapecity

How come Anthony Parker wasn't used more in OT? Isn't he one of your better perimeter defenders?</p>

9. hollagr8

Hey Chutney, I agree, it was a very good game today, and I think the next time we see them it'll be pretty much the same, hopefully, the outcome will be in Raps favour this time [​IMG]</p>

10. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Yea, for sure. I came away impressed with our D today and I hope we proved to the national media that the division race is a lot closer than they've thought.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shapecity)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

How come Anthony Parker wasn't used more in OT? Isn't he one of your better perimeter defenders?</p>

</div></p>

</p>

I was questioning that too. His D so far this season hasn't been as good as the end of last season (when he shut down VC in the playoffs) but he sure as hell deserved to be on the floor a lot more last night. At times, I had to wonder why Smitch was putting out such a small backcourt that was a liability on D. I thought Parker and Delfino should've been starting today (well I've thought that since the preseason, but today in particular, their defense was needed against Pierce/Allen).</p>

11. CelticBalla32

hollagr8, stop trying to insult me as a fan or my basketball intelligence, just because I don't agree with calls made. I'm not biased and I'm really not a complainer at all, I just felt it got a little out of hand today. You're making this personal, and I never intended for that to happen... it's all you. If say a Hawks fan comes in here and says they don't agree with calls, are you going to call out that entire fan base and insult their intelligence too? I, along with 100's of other Celtics fans, saw a lot of crap calls in this game, and didn't like it.</p>

I was never trying to downplay the Raptors or their efforts. I think they match up very well against us and can cause us a lot of problems, and I think a 7-game series between these two teams would be an excellent one. However, with the way we played defensively and how poor Toronto shot, mixed with tons of questionable calls, I felt like we shouldn't have had this game carry over to OT. That's all.</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'></p>

Anyways would enjo your blog more if you included more info about how the Raptors played today but thats just coming from a fan, I know your doing a Boston Celtics blog.</p>

</div></p>

Yeah, a friend said something to be about that too. He thought I should write a bit more about how the opposing team does as well, because everything I write in the recaps is about the Celtics. I'll definitely try to improve on that from now on. I appreciate the constructive criticism.</p>

12. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

There were 2 carries called on the game. (one allen and one pierce)</p>

How often do you get those calls? I personally haven't seen them in a long time.</p>

Another call for example was when KG was called for an offensive call on Bosh, fast forward to the other side and he was called again for a foul while Bosh did basically the same move that KG did on the other side. The only difference, Bosh didn't get an offensive foul.</p>

13. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

There were 2 carries called on the game. (one allen and one pierce)</p>

How often do you get those calls? I personally haven't seen them in a long time.</p>

Another call for example was when KG was called for an offensive call on Bosh, fast forward to the other side and he was called again for a foul while Bosh did basically the same move that KG did on the other side. The only difference, Bosh didn't get an offensive foul.</p>

</div></p>

The travels were good calls. Sure, they don't get called often in the NBA, but Pierce clearly had his hand underneath the ball and Ray took an extra step before the jab. It's the ticky-tack loose ball fouls that got me.</p>

</p>

14. Shapecity

The officials were instructed to focus on travelling calls this season. I've seen A LOT called this year. I didn't find the officiating in this game to be biased one way or another. The officials did their fair share of makeup calls in this one. For example the James Posey offensive foul when Tommy H almost popped a blood vessel. The very next play the officials whistle Bosh for an offensive foul after Posey flopped.</p>

From the games I've seen so far the officials need to do a much better job of allowing offensive players to cut through the lanes. They cannot reward the defensive player who just stands in the center of the key like a statue and falls over when the offensive player cuts through. If the officials are going to whistle the offensive player for the foul it's going to create some ugly basketball because players are going to stop moving and making cuts in fear they'll be whistled. Incidental contact is part of the game, but the officials seem intent on upstaging the players still and putting a stamp on every game.</p>

</p>

15. a13x

a13x JBB JustBBall Member

You guys just forgot to listen to the Celtics feed of Tommy H. bitching about the officials for 48 minutes. There were a fair share of marginal calls but that senile piece of crap eventually resorted to complaining about every whistle which drove me nuts. I remember distictly when there was the no call for Bargnani on the baseline against Garnett, to which he said it was a foul. Then they showed the replay and he said nothing because Bargnani didn't even move.</p>

16. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Tommy's been waiting for a team to be excited about, it seems. Right now they can do no wrong.</p>

17. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Caught a replay of the game. If you want to complain about bad officiating, the no-call of Ray Allen shoving Anthony Parker into a KG screen on the last play needs to be mentioned.</p>

18. MosDefinitely

MosDefinitely Member

When do the Raps and Celtics play each other again? Should be a better game then this and I would think the Raptors would come out guns a blazing.</p>

19. CelticBalla32

Haha, don't mind Tommy. He has always been like that and always will... he's the biggest homer alive. With that said, he's the type of guy that you either completely hate or love to death. If you're a Celtics fan, you love Tommy. If you're an opposing fan, you want his voice box removed. Paul Pierce could sucker-punch Juan Dixon in the mouth and Tommy would yell and say Dixon punched him.</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MosDefinitely)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

When do the Raps and Celtics play each other again? Should be a better game then this and I would think the Raptors would come out guns a blazing.</p>

</div></p>

December 7, in Boston.</p>

20. hollagr8

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chutney)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

Caught a replay of the game. If you want to complain about bad officiating, the no-call of Ray Allen shoving Anthony Parker into a KG screen on the last play needs to be mentioned.</p>

</div></p>

Yeah, Celticballa, what about that foul? There were several others including a three-point play where Garnett lays a ball in, Bosh doesn't touch him and the referee blows the whistle. Maybe they should look into injustice in the league and star preferences. Don't be so judgmental CelticBalla. I know you love your team and all, but let's get real.</p>

</p>