GAME THREAD: GAME THREAD: NBA: MINNESOTA (0-3) at LA LAKERS (2-2)

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by SportsTicker, Nov 9, 2007.

1. SportsTicker

SportsTicker News Feed

NBA: MINNESOTA (0-3) at LA LAKERS (2-2)

<h3>Bryant, Lakers host winless Timberwolves</h3>

<div class="pre">Minnesota (0-3) at La Lakers (2-2) 10:30 pm EST</div>

LOS ANGELES (Ticker) -- Kobe Bryant loves seeing the MinnesotaTimberwolves on the other side of the court.

Bryant will look to continue to terrorize the winlessTimberwolves when his Los Angeles Lakers host them on Friday.

A two-time scoring champion, Bryant scored 40 points in a117-107 loss to Minnesota on March 6, and then dropped 50 onthem less than two weeks later.

The nine-time All-Star is averaging 30.5 points this season andis getting key contributions from the teammates he has saidweren't good enough for the Lakers to win with.

Bryant scored 28 and Ronny Turiaf added 15 and seven rebounds,but the Lakers had their two-game winning streak snapped with a118-104 loss to the New Orleans Hornets on Tuesday.

Turiaf has been solid this season, averaging 9.8 points and 5.3rebounds, while Andrew Bynum is averaging 10.3 points and 9.8boards.

More good news is on the horizon for Bryant and the Lakers asLamar Odom may return to the lineup for this game. Odom, whoaveraged 15.9 points and 9.8 rebounds last season, hasrecovered from a shoulder surgery.

As for Minnesota, it is still looking for its first win after a111-103 setback to Orlando.

Al Jefferson, who was acquired from the Boston Celtics in theKevin Garnett trade, scored 25 points and grabbed 10 rebounds inthe loss. The third-year forward is averaging 19.0 points and11.7 boards thus far.

Los Angeles has won four of the last five meetings, includingthree straight here.

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Re: NBA: MINNESOTA (0-3) at LA LAKERS (2-2)

Sorry guys I didn't have time to make the Lakers game preview thread today. I'm going to the Ducks game tonight against the San Jose Sharks and work has been crazy this week for me.</p>

Tonight's game could mark the return of Lamar Odom and I'm looking forward to seeing him integrated right away. He's going to be rusty, but Minnesota is a team we should be able to beat even if we make a lot of mistakes and experiment with new strategies and rotations.</p>

This has an interesting subplot and a key matchup will be Andrew Bynum v. Al Jefferson. As we know the TWolves turned down a deal from the Lakers which would have sent Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum, and the Bobcats lottery pick to the TWolves for Kevin Garnett. Instead, Kevin McHale took Boston's offer because he felt Al Jefferson would turnout better than Bynum.</p>

A year ago Al Jefferson was far ahead of Bynum because of his consistency. Early on this season Bynum has been putting up some ridiculous stats in limited minutes. It's hard to tell whether or not Bynum has closed the gap on Jefferson, but right now it looks like Bynum might have the higher ceiling if he continues playing like this and improves as the season progresses.</p>

This is a young TWolves team so the Lakers need to prevent them from getting any confidence about winning this game. The TWolves have been competitive and the Lakers have a bad habit of taking nights off against these types of teams. It bit us in the butt against the Hornets with lazy defensive rotations and not adjusting to how the Hornets were running our offense. There was a lot brain fart moments in the Hornet game.</p>

Lakers need to come out early and establish a big lead. Our five starters are much better than the TWolves and we need to prove that by taking a double digit lead into halftime and then adding to it with our 2nd unit. I want to see the Lakers put these teams away early and allow the five starters to rest in the final period while our bench closes out the games.</p>

</p>

3. Shapecity

Update on Odom's status</p>

In the LOS ANGELES DAILY NEWS, Rich Hammond writes &ldquo;the expected return of Lamar Odom to the Lakers' starting lineup on Friday will send one of his teammates to the bench, and the smart money seems to be on forward Luke Walton. Barring any last-minute setbacks, Odom, who underwent shoulder surgery in May, will play Friday. Last season, Odom partnered with Walton in the starting frontcourt, but that could change now. Phil Jackson did indicate that Odom would start, rather than ease his way back into the lineup as a reserve.&rdquo;</p>

Luke's been great this season at getting the in the post and playing off of Kobe. I hope Odom can bring that to the table and also help the defense out. We really missed his rebounding and length in the Houston and New Orleans losses.</p>

</p>

4. Shapecity

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'></p>

Records: Lakers 2-2; Minnesota 0-3
    Offensive ratings: Lakers 110.8; T-Wolves 105
    Defensive ratings: Lakers 108.6; T-Wolves 114.5
    Projected Starting Lineups: Lakers: Derek Fisher, Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, Ronny Turiaf, Chris Mihm
    Minnesota: Sebastian Telfair, Rashad McCants, Ryan Gomes, Greg Buckner, Al Jefferson</p>

Lakers Notes: Lamar Odom returns tonight and will start, moving Luke Walton to a second unit that can really move the ball around (Walton, Jordan Farmar and Andrew Bynum are all good passers). It&rsquo;s great to have Odom back at his natural three spot, I have high hopes for what this will mean. But not tonight. Expect some limited minutes and some rust from Odom, and it may throw a kink or two in the offense at points tonight. Still his presence is welcome and needed.</p>

Mo Evans is not expected to play, and Kwame is not likely either. Kwame is a particular loss tonight against a team where they could have used him along the front line, he is the strongest Laker post defender. His loss puts a lot of pressure on Mihm tonight, who was rusty but passable in his start the other night. Bynum is going to have to step up as well.</p>

One other not that Bill Dwyre brought up in his Luke Walton profile today I forgot to mention &mdash; the play at the end of the first half of the New Orleans game, a sign to me that this Lakers team may have a little something special going on. If you remember, Kobe sank two free throws with nine seconds left to tie the game at 55. The Hornets come down and Chris Paul got into the lane, posts up and then hits a little fadeaway to make it 57-55 with just under two seconds left. Usual NBA protocol here is for someone to give the ball to Kobe or Fisher to try the three-quarter court heave. But as the ball goes through the net Turiaf turns and starts running up court, Walton grabs the ball to make the inbounds pass, sees the hustling Turiaf and does his best Kevin Love imitation and throws it long, hitting Turiaf in stride. Truiaf beats his guy for a lay-up and a 57-57 game at half. Maybe it didn&rsquo;t matter in end this time, but this is the kind of little thing that wins games.</p>

The Timberwolves Coming In: They knew it was going to be like this &mdash; a total rebuild is ugly for a couple years. But at least Minnesota finally decided to go with the total rebuild rather than the horrible &ldquo;build around KG on the fly&rdquo; thing they had been doing with no success with the past couple of years.</p>

This year&rsquo;s team isn&rsquo;t as bad as some predicted. They have a rock-solid center in Al Jefferson, an old-school beast on the block. If he plays 40 minutes you can expect 21 and 14. But Randy Foye &mdash; who I expect to have a break out year &mdash; is out indefinitely. Sebastian Telfair is getting his shot, we&rsquo;ll see over the course of the year what he really can be &mdash; nearly 30% of his possessions end in an assist, but he is shooting just 31% on the year. We&rsquo;re also learning about the athletic but out of control Gerald Green. Ryan Gomes is a player I like, although in an ideal world he is a guy coming off the bench for some scoring spark. And note to Ronny Turiaf and Odom &mdash; Buckner has a nice range and is shooting 59.4% (eFG%) and 37% form three this season, Don&rsquo;t ignore him.</p>

The T-Wolves have caught teams off guard early &mdash; they have had first-quarter double-digit leads in all three games. This is a team that has hung in games until about halfway through the fourth quarters, when other teams have found a gear the Wolves have yet to locate. This season is going to be a lot of that for them.</p>

Keys To The Game: Last year the Lakers didn&rsquo;t seemed focused for games like this, but good teams beat the teams they should and this is one the Lakers should win.</p>

T-Wolves coach said Marco Jaric is going to start on Kobe, so that should mean a big night for #24. Look for Corey Brewer and Gerald Green &mdash; both athletic guys but a little young for this task &mdash; to get their chances as well. This is a game Kobe should be able to get his when he wants it, and last season he dropped 40 and 50 on Minny.</p>

Last year at Staples I had great seats for Al Jefferson pushing Andrew Bynum around the paint like he was Chuck Nevit. I&rsquo;m curious to see what the more fit Bynum can do, but bottom line is the Lakers deep front line is going to have to work to not let Jefferson control the paint.</p>

This is also a game where the Lakers depth should prove a big advantage &mdash; Walton, Farmar, Radmanovic and Bynum will find this is not Houston or Utah in terms of second units. They can take over this game and give the Lakers a big lead. And part of the reason for the late fades by Minnesota is that the starters don&rsquo;t get a lot of rest if things get out of control.</p>

Tonight&rsquo;s Game: Where Odom Happens: Odom being back is the story, but I&rsquo;m not sure he&rsquo;ll be the key at the end. Look for the T-Wolves to hang in their for a while &mdash; maybe into the third quarter. This is a team that will hustle. But look for the Lakers bench to start a third quarter run, Kobe to torch whoever tries to cover him and the Lakers to pull away comfortably late.</p>

Where you can watch: Game time is 7:30 p.m. (Pacific). No national broadcast (ESPN gives you the Cavs and Kings) and in LA it is Fox Sports. Because of the late starts, I haven&rsquo;t &ldquo;watched&rdquo; a game online yet, but whose system is better this year, ESPN or NBA.com?</div></p>

Source: ForumBlueandGold</p>

At least Trenton Hassell is no longer on the TWolves. He always had career nights with Kobe playing off of him and daring him to shoot. Greg Buckner can be a pain, but he'll be overwhelmed by all the fresh legs coming off the bench to attack him.</p>

5. junit

junit BBW Member

Excited to see the team as a whole today!</p>

6. Shapecity

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (junit)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

Excited to see the team as a whole today!</p>

</div></p>

We might be without Kwame again, but good to see Odom back.</p>

How do you think he'll do in his first game of the season?</p>

</p>

7. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

Yeah I didn't have time to do a Wolves preview today either, guys, and I still don't. Luckily, we only have 2-3 people that actually follow the Wolves here, so it's OK!</p>

I hope McCants suits up tonight, and I'm also looking for Bassy to bounce back from his shaky game vs. Orlando. Oh, and if they don't go to Big Al a ton tonight, I'll be pissed.</p>

Let's go Wolves, rack up the first W!</p>

8. high54life

high54life Sky's The Limit

I think Gerald Green playing this game is key. He's racked up 43 points against the Lakers last season. And plus GG vs Kobe is someone I love seeing.</p>

9. Shapecity

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (High54Life)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

I think Gerald Green playing this game is key. He's racked up 43 points against the Lakers last season. And plus GG vs Kobe is someone I love seeing.</p>

</div></p>

I hope he plays a lot of minutes so Kobe can light him up.</p>

</p>

10. Yournewchef

Yournewchef Whippin up a cake.

Idk if we'll see anything great from Odom, but I hope lakers came to play today and redeem that bad loss to NOH.

11. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

I definitely dont want to see another 10-13 from beyond the arc and 21 assists.</p>

12. SportsTicker

SportsTicker News Feed

NBA: MINNESOTA at LA LAKERS

<div class="pre">MINNESOTA VS LA LAKERS - INACTIVES

MINNESOTA LA LAKERS

PLAYER NAME REASON PLAYER NAME REASON
    M MADSEN SHOULDER M EVANS BACK MUSCLE STRAIN
    R FOYE LEFT KNEE INJURY K BROWN HEEL INJURY
    C KARL COACH'S DECISION</div>

13. SportsTicker

SportsTicker News Feed

NBA: MINNESOTA at LA LAKERS