GAME THREAD: GAME THREAD: NFL: WASHINGTON (1-0) at PHILADELPHIA (0-1)

Discussion in 'NFC East' started by SportsTicker, Sep 17, 2007.

1. SportsTicker

SportsTicker News Feed

By Vince DiGregorio
    PA SportsTicker Staff Writer

PHILADELPHIA (Ticker) -- Last week, it was two muffed punts thatcost the Philadelphia Eagles. This week, it was their anemicoffense.

Jason Campbell threw for 209 yards and a touchdown as theWashington Redskins held off the Eagles, 20-12, in a sloppy matchupof division rivals on Monday night.

Clinton Portis ran for another score for the Redskins (2-0), whoracked up 337 yards of total offense.

After both teams failed to score on their first two possessions,Washington started its third drive from its own 27. On thefirst play, Campbell hooked up with Brandon Moss for a 48-yard passcompletion that took it to the Philadelphia 23.

However, the drive stalled and four plays later, Shaun Suishamconverted a 35-yard field goal as time expired to give theRedskins a 3-0 lead after one quarter.

The only highlight for the Eagles in the first quarter came whenReno Mahe fielded a punt and fell forward three yards,eliciting a derisive standing ovation from the fans.

The fans remembered the two muffed punts that cost the Eagles intheir 16-13 loss at Green Bay in the season opener.

Philadelphia (0-2) finally began to move the ball on its thirdpossession behind the running of Brian Westbrook, who hadconsecutive runs of 15 and 27 yards that gave the Eagles a firstdown at the Washington 13.

But the Eagles were unable to go any further and had to settlefor a 24-yard field goal from David Akers that tied the scoreat 3-3.

Cornerback William James set up Philadelphia's next score whenhe intercepted Campbell at Washington's 39 that ultimately ledto another field goal by Akers - this time from 39 yards outthat gave Philadelphia a 6-3 lead.

The Redskins scored the first touchdown of the game in bizarrefashion. Campbell engineered a drive that began at theWashington 27 and reached the Philadelphia 1.

Then it appeared that the Redskins would self-destruct as theyhad a delay of game penalty and two consecutive false startsthat pushed the ball back to the 16.

But Campbell salvaged the drive when he tossed a 16-yardtouchdown pass to Chris Cooley with 14 seconds left to give theRedskins a 10-6 edge at halftime.

Campbell and Donovan McNabb were each 10-of-18 passing in thefirst half, but Campbell threw for 143 yards, while McNabb hadonly 71.

2. SportsTicker

SportsTicker News Feed

By Vince DiGregorio
    PA SportsTicker Staff Writer

PHILADELPHIA (Ticker) -- Last week, it was two muffed punts thatcost the Philadelphia Eagles. This week, it was their anemicfirst-half offense.

The Eagles had just 142 yards of total offense through the first40 1/2 minutes and were held without a touchdown in a 20-12defeat to the Washington Redskins in a sloppy matchup ofdivision rivals on Monday night.

Jason Campbell threw for 209 yards and a touchdown and ClintonPortis added 69 yards and a score for Washington (2-0), whichbeat Miami, 16-13, in overtime in the season opener.

David Akers kicked four field goals for the only points scoredby Philadelphia. Quarterback Donovan McNabb completed 28-of-46passes for 240 yards, but most of the yardage came on shortpasses and he had trouble with his accuracy at times.

"Today, they were dropping their guys in the zone where youwould have to throw over guys," McNabb said. "That's justsomething we don't do. They forced us to throw a lot ballsunderneath."

Running back Brian Westbrook was the only other bright spot onoffense for Philadelphia with 162 all-purpose yards. He rushedfor 96 yards on 17 carries.

"To me, it just didn't seem as if we had that sense of urgencythat we needed," Westbrook said. "I think we fought very hardtowards the end of the game, but we just didn't have it to startwith."

The loss marked the third time that Philadelphia (0-2) lost itsfirst two games of the season during coach Andy Reid's tenure.He dropped to 3-6 in home openers.

"I have to do a better job of putting our guys in position whenwe're down in the red zone to score touchdowns and not fieldgoals," Reid said.

The only highlight for the Eagles in the first quarter came whenReno Mahe fielded a punt and fell forward three yards,eliciting a derisive standing ovation from the fans.

"You can't complain about them cheering for you," Mahe saidlaughing.

The fans remembered the two muffed punts that cost the Eagles intheir 16-13 loss at Green Bay in the season opener.

After both teams failed to score on their first two possessions,Washington started its third drive from its own 27. On thefirst play, Campbell hooked up with Moss for a 48-yard passcompletion that took it to the Philadelphia 23.

However, the drive stalled and four plays later, Shaun Suishamconverted a 35-yard field goal as time expired to give theRedskins a 3-0 lead after one quarter.

Cornerback William James set up Philadelphia's next score whenhe intercepted Campbell at Washington's 39 that ultimately ledto another field goal by Akers - this time from 39 yards outthat gave Philadelphia a 6-3 lead.

The Redskins scored the first touchdown of the game in bizarrefashion. Campbell engineered a drive that began at theWashington 27 and reached the Philadelphia 1.

Then it appeared that the Redskins would self-destruct as theyhad a delay of game penalty and two consecutive false startsthat pushed the ball back to the 16.

With 14 seconds on the clock, Washington was out of timeouts,but Philadelphia called a timeout and gave the Redskins a chanceto gather themselves.

"On our side, there was a lot of confusion," Gibbs said. "Somefield goal guys started going out on the field and I wasn'tgoing to risk anything, so I decided to kick at that point.

"I didn't want to run the risk of a mess at the end of the half.I had a chance to rethink it with the timeout and we decided totake a shot."

Campbell salvaged the drive when he tossed a 16-yard touchdownpass to Chris Cooley with nine seconds left to give the Redskinsa 10-6 edge at halftime.

"Guys did a great job of holding their composure during thattime," Campbell said. "It helped that they took the timeout. Ithought it was a huge drive, going into halftime."

Campbell and Donovan McNabb were each 10-of-18 passing in thefirst half, but Campbell threw for 143 yards, while McNabb hadonly 71.

"I didn't play well at all," McNabb said. "There were plays thatI should have made."

Portis had given the Redskins a 20-9 lead on a 6-yard TD runnearly three minutes into the final period. Akers later addedhis fourth field goal - a 22-yarder - with 6:30 left.

The Eagles had one final chance as McNabb drove them down to theRedskins' 9-yard line, but on 4th-and-6, he threw incomplete toKevin Curtis over the middle. Washington then ran the clockout.

Redskins coach Joe Gibbs was amazed that his team kept theEagles out of the end zone.

"I don't think that's going to happen again," Gibbs said. "Ourdefense played extremely hard. I mentioned that Donovan hasdone the best job against us of any quarterback."

Campbell's favorite targets were Santana Moss, who ledWashington's receivers with six receptions for 89 yards andAntwaan Randle El, who had four catches for 44 yards.

"I thought I did a lot of things tonight to help us win thegame," Campbell said. "I just try to get better from game togame. The more I get the opportunity to play, the better feel Iget for the NFL game. It's only my ninth start, so I'm stillearly into this."