GAME THREAD: NBA: CHICAGO (5-11) at DETROIT (13-5)

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by SportsTicker, Dec 7, 2007.

1. rwj

rwj Member

Re:

I very much enjoyed watching this game. In the 4th quarter our perimeter guys were getting posted up over and over, but they caught a few breaks and persevered. I can't wait to see if this carries over to the Celtics game.</p>

Detroit is strangely awful at the 4... McDyess doesn't seeem to have the same energy as a starter, and Maxiell is a nice energy player and rebounder but has zero presence in the paint - our guys are fearless driving into the paint when he's in the game because he's so small and bad at challenging shots. </p>

Only thing disappointing was Gordon's play. He is probably always going to struggle against Detroit because it is such a horrible matchup for him. Also, it looks like if either one of our starting guards is playing poorly, they are going to get pulled for Duhon for the rest of the second half.</p>

Can't say I'm too disappointed that Tyrus didn't play. I'd like to see him get development time, but I think Noah and Smith are better options right now.</p>

Noah in particular was impressive and makes me very optimistic about this team's immediate future - I loved our offense when the lineup was Noah - Noc - Deng - Hinrich - Duhon/Gordon. Not only is that a good defensive lineup, but it was Phoenix-like offensively, with 4 good perimeter players and a frontcourt player who has good hands and is a decent finisher. The spacing was great and allowed Nocioni to make pinpoint passes that led to easy Noah layups. Noah's success, though limited, shows just how bad Wallace is offensively... Though BW has played well the last few games, I would love to see Noah get more time at C.</p>

The future is looking slightly brighter - I was pretty depressed about this team for a while.</p>

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Re: NBA: CHICAGO (5-11) at DETROIT (13-5)

^^^ great review.</p>

What I'd add is that it sure seemed like a lot of fouls were called. The game was frustrating to watch because of all the stoppage. 53 free throws shot in the game, including watching Ben Wallace shoot 9 of 'em (making 8!).</p>

I've been talking up Noah since he was drafted, and the past few games he's been the player I expected. I thought Smith would start the first 10 or so games, just so we'd have a veteran and chance to win on the circus trip and that Noah would then step into the lineup at PF or C, next to Wallace. Skiles has started Smith and finished with Noah the past couple of games, though I think Noah sat toward the end of Q4 yesterday with Wallace getting rare PT in Q4 for us.</p>

Duhon has simply been outsanding, but we've seen this act before. What's scary about this team is the back court. It's still too small. Rip had his way with Hinrich and Billups had his way with Gordon and Duhon. 51 points between the two. Either Gordon or Hinrich has had foul trouble the past few games. Last game, Hinrich sat out most of the 2nd half, yesterday it was Gordon. If (and when, according to his history) Du returns to earth and his less productive scoring, we're in trouble.</p>

</p>

3. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

Tyrus was larely responsible for our wins in the playoff series last year against Detroit, and responsible for our earlier win this year with 19 points 14 rebounds. Skiles is really sticking it to Tyrus, not playing him against Detroit, a team he has torched on multiple occasions, saying screw you Tyrus, I don't need you to win, you're a loser.</p>

4. rwj

rwj Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BG7 Lavigne)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

Tyrus was larely responsible for our wins in the playoff series last year against Detroit, and responsible for our earlier win this year with 19 points 14 rebounds. Skiles is really sticking it to Tyrus, not playing him against Detroit, a team he has torched on multiple occasions, saying screw you Tyrus, I don't need you to win, you're a loser.</p>

</div></p>

Hmm, I don't quite agree, but it definitely doesn't bode well for Tyrus in the future. He's probably not going to get playing time unless there's a blowout since he's behind 4 guys in the frontcourt rotation. And he probably has no chance at winning back playing time. Skiles clearly likes Smith and Noah more, and Wallace gets time by default because of his contract.</p>

I don't think Tyrus getting 30 minutes a game is the sole reason for our cold start, but he is probably going to be blamed for it as time goes on if the team continues to win with him out of the lineup.</p>

</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>What I'd add is that it sure seemed like a lot of fouls were called. The game was frustrating to watch because of all the stoppage. 53 free throws shot in the game, including watching Ben Wallace shoot 9 of 'em (making 8!).</div></p>

I noticed this too. And I agree about Duhon.</p>

</p>

5. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

I just hope that Tyrus gets traded soon. Its clear that he is going to be a bust as long as he remains on this team. We should have taken one of my guys (Aldridge or Gay) instead of Tyrus, but its too late for that now. Whether we go for a trade of Tyrus for Jason Richardson or part of a package for Okafor (I remember reading Jordan wanted Tyrus, but the current coaching staff wanted Morrison, and Jordan went with them), or to Memphis as part of a package for Gasol. Put him with PJ Brown and Thabo and ship him out for Marion? I'm sure we could get something for him, but there is definitely no use keeping him on this team.</p>

6. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case

Why does anyone in the league want to overpay for a bust?</p>

7. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

Why does anyone in the league want to overpay for a bust?</p>

</div></p>

He's not a bust. He just is on the first bus to bustville as long as he remains on the Bulls. The other teams apparently believe they can scrape a superstar out of the Bulls grasp because of Skiles.</p>

We should be able to get more value than Detroit got for Darko, because Tyrus' confidence isn't completely shattered, and Tyrus has also had plenty of awe inducing performances in his career, and showed up on the playoff stage in a big way in the Detroit series.</p>

Tyrus still ahs relatively good value, but the longer we hold onto him, the more his value will be driven into the ground, and whats the use of keeping a guy that isn't valuable in your system?</p>

</p>