GAME THREAD: NFL: ARIZONA (0-0) at SAN FRANCISCO (0-0)

Discussion in 'NFC West' started by SportsTicker, Sep 10, 2007.

1. SportsTicker

SportsTicker News Feed

By Tom Kent
    PA SportsTicker Contributing Writer

SAN FRANCISCO (Ticker) - The San Francisco 49ers could not movethe ball until it counted.

Bottled up all game long, the 49ers went the length of the fieldfor the winning score, a 1-yard touchdown by Arnaz Battle with22 seconds to play, to defeat the Arizona Cardinals, 20-17, inthe season opener for both teams Monday night.

Despite a hideous offensive performance, San Francisco (1-0)snapped a four-game losing streak against the Cardinals (0-1).

"We struggled all night," 49ers quarterback Alex Smith said."It was frustrating on offense. Our guys stepped up on thefinal drive. We never quit believing and never stopped knowingthat we were going to pull it out and win the game. I am soproud of this team."

Limited to just 109 total yards through the first 57 minutes,San Francisco put together an unlikely 12-play, 86-yard drive towrest victory from the Cardinals.

"Offensively we saved our best for last," said 49ers coach MikeNolan, who improved to 1-4 against Arizona. "That's about all Ican say. After all, it's about winning and we were able to getit done."

The winning touchdown came on an end-around to Battle, one playafter Battle had fumbled into the end zone where teammateDarrell Jackson recovered.

Because a team cannot advance a fumble into the end zone in thefinal two minutes unless it is recovered by the person who lostit, the ball was marked at the 1-yard line.

"Coach just called on me to make a play and I was able to dothat it," Battle said. "The most important part is getting thevictory and winning the game. It was a collective effort inthis win."

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt wasn't so sure Battle's catch andfumble should have counted as a reception. Terrence Holtknocked the ball loose from Battle just as he pulled the pass inand was about to cross the goal line.

"The big thing this year is they instituted a rule where if youget two feet down, it's considered a catch," Whisenhunt said."I don't know if that's what happened, but I know they didchange that."

Smith finished just 15-of-31 for 126 yards, but he was 6-of-10for 60 yards on the decisive drive. The No. 1 overall pick in2005, Smith also had a huge 25-yard scramble on 4th-and-1 to theCardinals' 20 to keep the march alive.

"I knew they broke down," Smith said. "I felt I could makesomething happen with my feet and just get the chains to getanother set of downs. I saw a lane over to the side and tookit."

Arizona had one last gasp but Shawntae Spencer interceptedArizona quarterback Matt Leinart's pass on first down.

Leinart had orchestrated a nine-play, 58-yard scoring drive andcapped it off with a 5-yard touchdown pass to Anquan Boldin togive his team a 17-13 lead with just over 6 1/2 minutes to play.

The 10th overall pick in 2006, Leinart also scrambled for 20yards on third down prior to connecting with Boldin for thego-ahead touchdown. He completed just 14-of-28 passes for 102yards with one TD and two interceptions.

"In the end we need to get better," Leinart said. "We need toget better as an offense and as a team and I need to get betteras a quarterback."

The comeback by the 49ers denied Whisenhunt a victory in hishead coaching debut. The Cardinals' eighth coach since 1987,Whisenhunt spent three years as the Pittsburgh Steelersoffensive coordinator, helping guide the team to a victory inSuper Bowl XL.

"Obviously, it's a disappointing finish," Whisenhunt said. "Toomany mistakes, especially starting the second half, but we hada chance at the end. We hung in there, but we just couldn't getit done. It was a disappointing loss for our football team."

The 49ers took advantage of an early mistake when cornerbackWalt Harris picked off Leinart's pass and returned it 23 yardsto the Cardinals' 6-yard line. Two plays later, Frank Gorepowered into the end zone for the first score of the game.

"I was able to read the ball and make a play on it," Harrissaid. "The defense as a whole played real tough today and madea lot of plays."

Gore, who led the NFC in rushing last season with 1,695 yards,totaled 55 yards on 18 carries and a score.

With the 49ers leading, 7-3, early in the second quarter,Cardinals defensive end Antonio Smith recovered Smith's fumbleand returned it the Niners' 36-yard line.

Edgerrin James then capped a five-play, 36-yard drive with a7-yard touchdown run.

James, who gained 1,159 yards for Arizona last season andaveraged a career-low 3.4 yards per carry, finished with 92yards on 26 carries and a touchdown.

San Francisco kicker Joe Nedney connected on two field goals of33 and 30 yards.

Niners rookie linebacker and first-round pick Patrick Willis wasimpressive in his NFL debut, managing nine tackles.

"It was really great to be out there in a regular-season game,"Willis said. "Our guys played really great out there and provedwe could make some plays on defense."

In a ceremony at halftime, the 49ers paid tribute to their latecoach Bill Walsh, who guided San Francisco to three Super Bowlvictories in his 10 years at the helm.

San Francisco also wore their 1981 "throwback" uniforms tocommemorate the franchise's first Super Bowl victory underWalsh.

"It was a tribute to coach Walsh," Battle said. "I know he's upthere looking down and smiling right now. He helped build thisorganization and it was great to get a win for him tonight."

2. SportsTicker

SportsTicker News Feed

NFL: ARIZONA at SAN FRANCISCO

<div class="pre">** CONFIRMED **
    NFL
    ARIZONA 17
    SAN FRANCISCO 20 FINAL</div>

3. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

Re: NFL: ARIZONA (0-0) at SAN FRANCISCO (0-0)

sick win by the niners after such lousy play by ALEX SMITH... I have faith in a .500+ season!

4. Montaman

Montaman JBB JustBBall Member

Re: NFL: ARIZONA (0-0) at SAN FRANCISCO (0-0)

That was a rough game to watch... but Alex Smith finally busted out some of that improvisational brilliance that every QB sometimes needs to eke out the close one. And the secondary defense was nothing short of masterful.</p>

Matt Leinart scrambling is not a pretty sight.</p>