Games 3 Pens vs. Rangers

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, May 7, 2022.

1. NYR Fan

NYR Fan Well-Known Member

I am not worried one bit about Lafreniere. You can see he's going to be a star. Scored 19 goals this season, has great vision, scores at even strength. He'll be a stud starting next season.

With that said, this one has been beaten to death. Let's focus on winning the series we are in right now. As we continue to see the NHL playoffs are wide open, so beat the Pens and anything can happen.

2. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Exactly, the team had an amazing season and are in the playoffs. I'd rather discuss getting the series back to MSG 2-2.

3. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    If the kid wants to bury himself in the waste land of arizona..because he didn't get power play time...than he is just as a wasted pick like kravlov

Greyvtrayn likes this.
  4. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Yeah but that choice wouldn't necessarily be his if the Rangers decided not to match. Unlikely it happens at all but not out of the realm i suppose.

5. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Players don't become studs getting 10-13mins a night. Obviously we don't know what deals will be made in the summer, but with the current roster the ice time available to Lafreniere will be limited. When Blais returns, he's not going to be taking ice time from the top 6 forwards, he's going to be taking minutes from the likes of Lafreniere and Kakko.

6. NYR Fan

I disagree with that. Lafreniere will be in the top 6 next season, or on a 3rd line that gets good ice time (I say that because he is a LW and we have two other good LW's). I also think he will be on PP1. Don't really care about that right now though as I am focused on the task and hand and beating the Pens.

7. NYR31

Yup, people suffer from myopia and only look at the current season. One in which we are where we are in part because Kreider, who never even had a 30 goal season in his career, suddenly scored 50 (to no one's expectations). If you look at the composition of this roster (from a forwards perspective) centered around veterans and the win-now message from the top which will only maintain or enhance that vet-first mentality, it would be no surprise if Kakko and next year Lafreniere entertain offer sheets from teams where they can get first-line minutes to get the chance to develop their games and reach their full potential.

A place like ARI may be a dump, but it would be a worthwhile gamble for Kakko to go there and get 18-20 minutes a night across even strength, PP and PK and come out a top player in 3-4 years and seek his next move. When he looks at his future in NY, battling for 3rd and 4th line minutes, it must not be very exciting.

8. NYR31

From your mouth to Gallant's ears. But whose ice time does he take away? Panarin and Kreider obviously not going anywhere. He's not a center so not going to replace Strome (the only one i can see leaving) or displace Z. Copp and Vatrano were not rentals so they'll be back. So far these playoffs he's getting ice time on par or below Reaves and Rooney, so it's not like Gallant is trusting him with a bigger role and responsibility.

9. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

How many successful offer sheet signings have there been since that became a thing in the NHL?
    Answer: 15. For more detail...only three have happened in the last 25 years (Chris Gratton in 1997, Dustin Penner in 2007 and Kotkaniemi last year).
    To further show just how rare they are....there have been only 11 other offer sheets extended in the last 25 years dating back to when the Avs matched the Rangers for Joe Sakic.
    The Rangers will not lose Kakko (or Lafreniere) to offer sheets.

10. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

The fact Kakko hasn’t been extended tells me his agent told Drury to fuck off.

11. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Let's keep beating this dead horse and blissfully ignore that Kakko missed half the season due to injury.

12. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Even if Kakko's on the 3rd line he will get plenty of ice time if he stays healthy and shows he's progressing. He's still only 22 next season so there's plenty of time for him to move up as roster spots gradually open. Either he or Lafreniere will be pp1 regulars. Not the worst thing to have either one helping pp2 if need be, means the team is still good.

13. NYR Fan

Copp and Vatrano are potential rentals, as is Motte (all UFA's). And I think Strome is gone and they much prefer to re-sign Copp. That is the opening for Lafreniere. None of us can see the future, so it is an unanswerable question right now, but one way or another I think Lafreniere will be a major player on the team next season, and score 25 + goals and score a lot of points.

I would love a 3rd line with Lafreniere - Copp - Goodrow. That would be maybe the best 3rd line in the NHL. That line slots in well with Kreider - Z - Vatrano and Panarin - Chytil - Kakko (I think Chytil slots much better as a 2nd line C than a 3rd line C if he is ready for it).

Good balance, and Lafreniere will get PP time.

Ranger71 likes this.