Garcia's new deal vs Martell

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Magnum, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Magnum

Magnum Member

5yrs, 30M for Francisco Garcia. He put up numbers better than Martell last year in similar minutes. Should martell expect to get more than that?

2. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I would say that deal is decent for Garcia. He improved his first three seasons, culminating in approximately league-average starter value last season (by PER). I don't know how good he is defensively, but if he's basically an average starter, $6 million per year sounds about in line. He was 26, which means he can't be expected to improve significantly more, but can be expected to remain at around this level for the length of that deal.

Webster has never been league average (for a starter), but he's 5 years younger. If he makes the jump to league average this season, I'd be happy to give him a similar deal. If he doesn't improve but wants a salary increase, let him go.

3. AgentDrazenPetrovic

AgentDrazenPetrovic Anyone But the Lakers

I still think Martell's ceiling is really high. I hope for a similar deal we gave to Outlaw, that would just be awesome.

4. Magnum

Magnum Member

If you think his ceiling is higher than Garcia's, why would he sign a deal worth substantially less? I'm fairly certain Martell is going to wait until after this season to sign a new deal, and will probably be looking for money TWICE what outlaw is making...

5. AgentDrazenPetrovic

8 Million a year? I think that's why we should offer an extension now..maybe a little higher than Outlaws....the thing is he needs to prove it on the court, which he hasn't done until spurts last year.

6. Magnum

Magnum Member

I wouldn't give it to him at this point, but I think the kid's self image is currently more than his performance. If he believes he's going to get better, then he'll gamble and wait until next offseason.

7. AgentDrazenPetrovic

Aren't we in a bad cap space situation if we don't extend him now?

8. Magnum

Magnum Member

The lower the salary we sign him to, the better the cap situation more or less. That said, I don't think anyone is convinced we want to dump 30M on the kid. Given the salary ramifications of this season, it is really make or break for Martell and his future with the Blazers imo.

9. AgentDrazenPetrovic

I thought we have that cap hold if we don't extend until next summer?

10. Magnum

Magnum Member

That's exactly right. Since the cap hold is quite large, pretty much any salary we sign him to in an extension would be lower than his cap hold. But I still don't see an extension in Martell's future. This deal for Garcia kinda caught me off guard. Granger was the guy I was/am expecting to get paid before the season starts. There weren't too many good players to come out of that draft class that haven't been locked up yet.

11. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I don't think Martell Webster will be a Blazer in 09-10.

12. Magnum

Magnum Member

I think you could very well be right. I'm rooting for the kid to figure it out, have a breakout year and solidify himself as our SF of the future. But I'm not convinced it's going to happen.

I think if we make a change this season, or if we spend big in Free agency next summer that SF is the position we're most likely to address.

13. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I agree with this. Don't extend's Webster's contract right now. Wait to see if he has that break out year and evaluate at season end.

If there is a big name SF the Blazers can get, let Webster and maybe even Travis walk (to free up more cap space). If no big free agent SF or Webster has the break out year, keep traivs and use the cash on Webster.

14. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Let's look who has already been extended in his draft class. Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Andrew Bogut. Two franchise players, and Bogut, while definitely not the best player in the draft class, does put up solid numbers and fits into Milwaukee's future.

If Webster doesn't become a lights-out shooter this year, I don't see why he is needed beyond this season. Roy, LMA, Oden, and even Rudy Fernandez figure to be more important to the future of the club. I also think Outlaw could be gone as well in a trade for Martell's replacement. Martell needs to make a quantam leap for two reasons. (1) to stay in Portland, and more importantly for him, (2) show that he is worth more the money to make him want to stay in Portland. Because somebody will pay him $5-7 million/year to start, but it would likely be a bad team.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  15. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

If Garcia got that much, I'm curious to see how much some team is going to overpay Kleiza

16. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Hey he might fit with the Blazers : )