Garnett punches Rickert:

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by PLATWolve, Aug 31, 2004.

1. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

Man I cant picture KG doing this,it seems really messed up for him to do this but we havent heard the full story yet so who knows what happned if this is true tough KG should get some kind of punishment.

BTW if Rickert wants to get back at KG or if he has any more problems with him,he should call up Anthony Peeler.

2. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom JBB JustBBall Member

just because it isnt being covered doesnt mean its not true.
    doesnt mean that it is either. juste means that there is not a lot of coverage on it.

and it doesnt sound that far fetched to me. I dont think that its typical behavior from KG in any way, but if he got pushed beyond his breaking point that particular day, sure he could smash someone in the face.... look at his team mate spree... he got pissed enough to try & choke out his coach during a practice...

doesnt make him a bad person per se, just someone that got pissed & retaliated. it happens.

3. JJA

JJA JBB JustBBall Member

Wow, I didn't expect this... lol. Im enjoying following this though.. Its rpetty interesting.

4. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

If this is true KG punched Rickert just for scoring on him.

5. Karma

Karma The Will Must Be Stronger Than The Skill

^ Think rationally. He wouldn't just punch someone for scoring on him obviously. If that was true then he'd have punched a LOT of players in the NBA through out his career. Rickert must have done something to provoke KG into doing that sort of action. The media outlet source for it made it seem like Rickert did nothing and KG just was running down the court and out of nowhere decided to punch a rookie. No. People don't do that, unless they're insane of course, which KG isn't. Rickert must have done something (maybe even repeatedly) to tick off KG.

That media outlet was really a blur of info and leaves me skeptic.
    Atleast put some detail behind it. That author is clearly looking for a way to make KG a bad guy IMO, there's is two sides to every coin and he only presented one side by sugar coating Rickert. (I.E- "KG was his boyhood idol")

I won't believe this till an official statement comes out or something. But on the other hand, fights happen in scrimmages and such. I don't think its entirely KG's fault like the news link claims, no one just punches someone else for scoring on them.

6. Zero22

Zero22 JBB JustBBall Member

thats a warning for the peeler incident. peeler should be left scared now

7. Smoke

Smoke JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jyd2k4:</div><div class="quote_post">take this for what u will but a poster on this other board was there and this is what he said:

"alright enough of bashing my homie!!!!! Rickert set a mean a$$ back pick on kg. kev told him not to set those type of picks then rickert came down the court and scored and started talking **** with kris humphris (who also got thrown out the gym by kev a few years ago) kg didnt respond he just put his head down and started pointing to his brain tryin to calm himself down while rickert was laughing.A couple of plays later rickert calls a phatom foul and kev didnt like that and they exchanged words (cussing), but kg gave in to my suprise and rickert got the ball. then the next play rickert hits kg in the back with another pick and as they went down court told kris humphris (i got him,i got him) and that put kg over the top he ran up on rickert and mushed him in his face then str8 up punched him he his jaw everyone grabbed kg while rickert was bend over holding his jaw."</div>
    well if this is accurate reprensation of what happened there during practice. then i truly understand why k.g. punched the dude in the face.

because the dude just seemed plain out annoying and lame. if this is an accurate re enactment of Rickerts actions

8. diamondroad17

diamondroad17 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Quickness:</div><div class="quote_post">well if this is accurate reprensation of what happened there during practice. then i truly understand why k.g. punched the dude in the face.

because the dude just seemed plain out annoying and lame. if this is an accurate re enactment of Rickerts actions</div>

Whether it's true or not it doesn't make it alright. This guy idolizes Garnett and he was just showing off. Plus Garnett is the team captain and reigning MVP he should have showned better class than the rookie. KG could have done something else (dunk on the guy, crush his pick) instead he hit him.

9. Smoke

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting diamondroad17:</div><div class="quote_post">Whether it's true or not it doesn't make it alright. This guy idolizes Garnett and he was just showing off. Plus Garnett is the team captain and reigning MVP he should have showned better class than the rookie. KG could have done something else (dunk on the guy, crush his pick) instead he hit him.</div>
    either way gets his point across. i mean i wouldnt have punched the guy because of what type of person i am. but i am not kg and i dont know kg personally.

But as percieved by the story kg warned the guy. and then just snapped. kg already looks like a lose wire out there on the court in which i kinda see myself in him. but i dont have to calm myslef down as much as him.

but the more i think about this story it seems fake because i'm sure guys say worse thing to kg during a regualr season game. with all the trash talking and all.

but then again i wanst there to see this elusive pick.

10. TheNextJordan8

TheNextJordan8 JBB JustBBall Member

well now he knows whos team it is lol and maybe wont talk as much u got to give it to them once so they dont do it again good one by kg.

11. bubbachuck

bubbachuck JBB JustBBall Member

oh, it doesn't sound like KG... I believe that there must be something else that we don't know from the article. KG won't do things like that jsut because a ball. But if it's true no matter what, it'll be an abatement of Kevin's reputation. Hope not.

12. PLATWolve

PLATWolve JBB JustBBall Member

DON'T PRINT THAT

? "Former University of Minnesota player Rick Rickert has shown the Timberwolves during summer workouts that he has NBA potential, and notwithstanding the sucker punch he received the other day from the Wolves' Kevin Garnett during a pickup game, still has a chance to make the team's roster. That will depend on whether the Wolves figure they can afford to keep a player who is still developing or whether they feel they need immediate help.

The day after the 6-foot-10 former Duluth East star received seven stitches and a chipped tooth from Garnett, Rickert was back seeking another workout with the same players. And he would have continued playing immediately after being punched except that he couldn't because of the bleeding the blow caused. Rickert has gained extra respect from the Wolves for not pressing the issue.

Meanwhile, word is Garnett realizes he made a big mistake by losing his temper and doesn't consider it an issue." (Source St. Paul Pioneer Press Dispatch)

This is a true story folks.

13. Sabretooth

Sabretooth JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting PLATWolve:</div><div class="quote_post">DON'T PRINT THAT

? "Former University of Minnesota player Rick Rickert has shown the Timberwolves during summer workouts that he has NBA potential, and notwithstanding the sucker punch he received the other day from the Wolves' Kevin Garnett during a pickup game, still has a chance to make the team's roster. That will depend on whether the Wolves figure they can afford to keep a player who is still developing or whether they feel they need immediate help.

The day after the 6-foot-10 former Duluth East star received seven stitches and a chipped tooth from Garnett, Rickert was back seeking another workout with the same players. And he would have continued playing immediately after being punched except that he couldn't because of the bleeding the blow caused. Rickert has gained extra respect from the Wolves for not pressing the issue.

Meanwhile, word is Garnett realizes he made a big mistake by losing his temper and doesn't consider it an issue." (Source St. Paul Pioneer Press Dispatch)

This is a true story folks.</div>

My question is this. If KG is "Soooo Crazed" why would Rickert be so ready to go? Usually when people do are aggressively trying to get back is because the previous action brought them to there senses and they knew they were wrong in causing the effect. I'm somewhat confused with the wording that "Garnett realizes he made a big mistake by losing his temper and doesn't consider it an issue" because in the same breath there saying that KG realized the error in his ways and thought nothing of it. Am I not understanding it correctly?

14. wolvefan4ever07

wolvefan4ever07 JBB JustBBall Member

KG should not get any blame for this whatsoever, nor should he be fined, or have to apologize, Rick Rickert was prolly bein the loudmouth, cocky, player he is, and finnaly got what he deserved, if the he did talk crap to KG, then a. hes dumb for picking on a guy 3 inches taller than him, and 40 pounds more, b. he needs to learn who the veterens are on the team, and learn to respect them. If he continues to play for teams, and act like hes the best, hes gnna have lots of bloody jaws, any star athlete woulda done the same thing ih he has a asecind year player thats never played in the NBA. If Rickert, didnt say ne thing to KG, then, this most likely isnt true, kg would not just punch somebody who scored on him, like some 1 else said, hed of punched a lot of people by now, KG is one of the biggest trash talkers in the leuge, and he can do it cuz hes the MVP, Rickert however should not be talking trash when most people outside of Minnesota, prolly havnt evn heard of him. And whoever is writing these arcticle for the pioneer press, is, crazy, it apppears he is trying to make Rickert, an inocent victim, that wasnt doin anything wrong, its like hes trying to get people to embrace rick rickert, and abandon Kevin Garnett, and if this is true, why has no other paper repeorted it? not even another Minnesota paper reports it, if this were true, my guess, AT LEAST the star tribune would also report it.

GERORGE W. BUSH 4 PRESIDENT!

15. kobe_8

kobe_8 JBB JustBBall Member

this is possible. everyone knows that garnett was a hot-headed person before. although he matured on-court (on tv), it doesn't mean that this is how he is on practice (no tv publicity). there could have been trash-talking between this two but well wait and see, the truth should come out.

16. Sabretooth

To me, people are forgetting that KG is human. He's not a god or saint. He can lose control, but has to go about fixing his mistakes like everyone else. Kevin Garnett plays a sport for our entertainment. He has not saved anyones life perse, not has taken one. He's not in the middle of a shootout in the nightclub scene or in trouble for taking drugs, but got heated for some reason and lashed. Not a big deal but chair time may be neccessary.

17. Smoke

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Sabretooth:</div><div class="quote_post">To me, people are forgetting that KG is human. He's not a god or saint. He can lose control, </div>
    true. i also think that this incident could probally gain respect form kg and make kg and this dude really good friends down the line.

I mean due to how this kidd is reacted to the situation by wanting more. in my opinion will show kg the want he has for the game. i mean by him wanting more shows to me his passion for the game and want to be the best. though i do think they should talk this out and make sure they are on the same page and both are just playing the game of basketball and not the game of life. which could result in hurt feelings and possibly departure of teams for riikert. ( spelling?)

i think they will find that they are similar in that aspect in love for the game. of course i think they will realize its all just for the game.

i dont even know who this kidd is but i cant wait to see them playing to gether i think they will be murder on opposing teams with there passion for the game.

but i'm guessing they play the same position, am i correct.

18. diamondroad17

You guys are defending Garnett way too much. He's the freaking reigning MVP and he's a veteran player, he should have showned better class by not hitting the guy. Garnett is a hothead, always have been, he needs to cool down. The fact of the matter is he's a model figure to many young kids so he should learn how to behave better.

19. Sabretooth

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting diamondroad17:</div><div class="quote_post">You guys are defending Garnett way too much. He's the freaking reigning MVP and....</div>

I said that he made a mistake, and I'll stick by that. I said the same thing for Sprewell, Bryant, Barkley, and others. Instead of getting caught up in all the titles and accolades, I remember that he is a person first. One of the things that I personally like about him is the fact that he seems to be a "REAL" person. He wears his emotions, which makes me find him to be more honest in what he does. Am I saying that it was right? With the limited coverage on the matter, I'd go with no. But once again, I wasn't there so I can't judge. I just know that he has a history of being extremely wound and an action such as this is not totally unexpected. He is not your daddy's Larry Bird and may not always do the "classiest" of things. But you know what you get with him. Also, KG has been in the league for quite some time, and this is the 2nd altercation of this kind. He's played with multiple personalities from all kinds of vets (haven't really had any rookies.....you know why) and has never lashed out in such a way. I would be more inclined to finding out what happened and how we can change the situation instead of burning him at the stake, perse.

20. diamondroad17

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Sabretooth:</div><div class="quote_post">I said that he made a mistake, and I'll stick by that. I said the same thing for Sprewell, Bryant, Barkley, and others. Instead of getting caught up in all the titles and accolades, I remember that he is a person first. One of the things that I personally like about him is the fact that he seems to be a "REAL" person. He wears his emotions, which makes me find him to be more honest in what he does. Am I saying that it was right? With the limited coverage on the matter, I'd go with no. But once again, I wasn't there so I can't judge. I just know that he has a history of being extremely wound and an action such as this is not totally unexpected. He is not your daddy's Larry Bird and may not always do the "classiest" of things. But you know what you get with him. Also, KG has been in the league for quite some time, and this is the 2nd altercation of this kind. He's played with multiple personalities from all kinds of vets (haven't really had any rookies.....you know why) and has never lashed out in such a way. I would be more inclined to finding out what happened and how we can change the situation instead of burning him at the stake, perse.</div>

I know he's human but this is not the first time he got into an altercation with someone. He's an entertainer and kids shouldn't look up to him, but the fact is that they do, so he should act with a little more decorum. I thought the NBA have people who teaches these NBA players how to act.