Garnett says Wolves need to add people this offseason.

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by BrewCityBuck, Mar 23, 2006.

1. JustBlaze

JustBlaze BBW Elite Member

1. They've tried to build around him and failed, it's time to move on.2. He's not playing well anymore, he's not happy there and the organization needs to try something else, why not trade him and get some new stars in return?3. That's not necessarily true, he wants to win and that's clearly not happening in Minneosta, I'm sure he'd like a change of environment if it meant winning.4. It's been rumored for awhile, and if the right deal came along I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to move him. Why not do it now instead of letting this situation continue to get worse? He's still a very valuable player right now, the longer he rots in Minnesota, the more his value declines.I know he doesn't want to leave and that they don't want to lose him, but has it worked so far? They've done nothing to give him some help, I just think it would be best for both of them.

2. Mr Wolf

Mr Wolf BBW Member

Well, I just think you are 100% wrong. I can give you about 20 quotes from this year about Garnett talking about him staying in Minnesota. He wants to start and end his career here. He doesn't want to go anywhere. He wants it to work out here. We want him to stay here. If both parties want to work it out why would they deal him?And what do you mean he isn't playing very well anymore? 22ppg, 12.4rpg, 4apg, 52% from the field and 27 straight double doubles isn't good anymore?

3. JustBlaze

Those are great stats but he's put up better in years past, he's just frustrated and it shows. Both parties do want to work it out yes, but so far they've gotten no where. What offseason moves can they make to keep Kevin there?

4. M*gic

M*gic BBW Member

Mr. Wolf that is called "a politically correct answer". KG is a player with class... demanding a trade publicly like Artest did isn't smart but he can always do it behind closed doors. I do think he is genuine when he said he wants to stay at Minny but then his #1 priority is to be in a winning situation, be it Minny or elsewhere.

5. Mr Wolf

Mr Wolf BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M*gic @ Mar 27 2006, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Mr. Wolf that is called "a politically correct answer". KG is a player with class... demanding a trade publicly like Artest did isn't smart but he can always do it behind closed doors. I do think he is genuine when he said he wants to stay at Minny but then his #1 priority is to be in a winning situation, be it Minny or elsewhere.</div>Why would he give out politcally correct answers to his friends and "sources"? I understand he won't come out and say he wants out but come on, when keeps saying stuff like "I adopted 'Sota and I'm here forever" or "The Target Center is the Garnett Center" and other stuff like that, it makes wonder if he is trying to be politically correct or if he really means it. I think he really means it. Why? Because he has had numerous chances to go somewhere else and to demand trades but he hasn't because he loves it here and he doesn't want to leave Minnesota without a ring. He has been here for 11 years and has endured stuff similar to this (first round exits, Joe Smith scandel, Marbury, Sealy).Some people under-estimate the power of loyalty. I understand, we are surrounded by a world of greedy athletes who don't want to take responsiblity for anything it seems. However, Garnett is one of the few that want to stick around and make things right. The team has to start putting more talent around him, that is understood. But unless the going gets really rough I don't see Garnett being traded in the near future (or at all).Like I said, we are pretty use to Garnett rumors up here in Minnesota. The national media is just begging and praying that Garnett asks to be traded to a bigger market. How many trade KG articles have we seen over the years? Too high for me to count. This is no different. He doesn't want to leave and the team doesn't want him to leave. If the team trades Kevin Garnett without Garnett demanding to be traded the franchise will die. Fans will revolt. Kevin Garnett is one of the most influential and greatest athletes in Minnesota sports history. Minnesota loves Garnett to death. If Taylor and McHale trade Garnett because they "haven't been able to put a winning team around him for 11 years so they should just trade him", the fans will be very upset and Taylor will lose even more money, not to mention sponsers."I'm Minnesota," the Wolves' All-Star forward said. "The Target Center ... that's the Garnett Center!""I'll never forget being in the Target Center by myself one day, looking up, saying to myself, 'One day I want to own this city. I want to be a player these people are proud of,' " Garnett said."I've always let him know I'm going to be 'Sota," Garnett added. "And he's always let me know he's going to be in New York. So I guess we've got a problem."

6. JustBlaze

I understand what you're saying, people seem to similarly misunderstand the Paul Pierce situation here. The losing has to be taking a toll on him though, do you really think he can endure it any longer?

7. Mr Wolf

Mr Wolf BBW Member

He wants to win, no doubt about that. Which is why he is saying put some more pieces around him instead of saying get me out of here.

8. JustBlaze

They've tried that and it hasn't worked, how do you propose they accquire help for him?

9. Mr Wolf

Mr Wolf BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBlaze @ Mar 27 2006, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>They've tried that and it hasn't worked, how do you propose they accquire help for him?</div>What do you mean it hasn't worked? They got to the Western Conference Finals two years ago. They traded Joe freaking Smith and Anthony Peeler for Sam Cassell. If they can get Cassell for those two they can do something with Eddie Griffin, Marko Jaric, Trenton Hassell or Ricky Davis.And believe it or not, the team isn't that far away from being a playoff team. They just need a guy who can bang down low and play the pick and roll.What makes you think they would be better off without Garnett? If you trade him you aren't going to get anyone close to as good as him. If the team can't win with Garnett how the hell do you expect them to do it without him?

10. JustBlaze

Yes two years ago, they've been dysmal since. They can definitely get some young talent or another star for Garnett, he's the best all-around player in the league. I just think they should trade him for a few young talented players and take it from there.

11. Mr Wolf

Mr Wolf BBW Member

Or...They could try to get Stephon Marbury, who's trade value is at an all-time low, and put a few more pieces around Garnett and take one more shot.

12. BALLAHOLLIC

BALLAHOLLIC Member

I actually think he would fit in well with Minnesota. He will have to straighten up or Garnett will be all over him.I know they did not co-exist early in there careers but they were both very young with big egos. While Marbs still has a bit of an ego I dont think it will be an issue. Garnett will still be the #1 option but Stephon should still get the amount of shots he needs to be happy.

13. Mr Wolf

Mr Wolf BBW Member

Garnett and Marbury had great chemistry on the court, it was Marbury's ego who got in the way and forced a trade. Both have matured, like you said, and they would make it work. Garnett wants Marbury back and Marbury wouldn't mind playing with Garnett. The only problem is Garnett doesn't want to leave 'Sota and Marbury doesn't want to leave New York.

14. JustBlaze

Well I think there's more of a chance that Marbury goes to Minnesota, I don't like him anymore but maybe that would be good for him and the Timberwolves.

15. M*gic

M*gic BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr Wolf @ Mar 28 2006, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Why would he give out politcally correct answers to his friends and "sources"? I understand he won't come out and say he wants out but come on, when keeps saying stuff like "I adopted 'Sota and I'm here forever" or "The Target Center is the Garnett Center" and other stuff like that, it makes wonder if he is trying to be politically correct or if he really means it. I think he really means it. Why? Because he has had numerous chances to go somewhere else and to demand trades but he hasn't because he loves it here and he doesn't want to leave Minnesota without a ring. He has been here for 11 years and has endured stuff similar to this (first round exits, Joe Smith scandel, Marbury, Sealy).Some people under-estimate the power of loyalty. I understand, we are surrounded by a world of greedy athletes who don't want to take responsiblity for anything it seems. However, Garnett is one of the few that want to stick around and make things right. The team has to start putting more talent around him, that is understood. But unless the going gets really rough I don't see Garnett being traded in the near future (or at all).Like I said, we are pretty use to Garnett rumors up here in Minnesota. The national media is just begging and praying that Garnett asks to be traded to a bigger market. How many trade KG articles have we seen over the years? Too high for me to count. This is no different. He doesn't want to leave and the team doesn't want him to leave. If the team trades Kevin Garnett without Garnett demanding to be traded the franchise will die. Fans will revolt. Kevin Garnett is one of the most influential and greatest athletes in Minnesota sports history. Minnesota loves Garnett to death. If Taylor and McHale trade Garnett because they "haven't been able to put a winning team around him for 11 years so they should just trade him", the fans will be very upset and Taylor will lose even more money, not to mention sponsers."I'm Minnesota," the Wolves' All-Star forward said. "The Target Center ... that's the Garnett Center!""I'll never forget being in the Target Center by myself one day, looking up, saying to myself, 'One day I want to own this city. I want to be a player these people are proud of,' " Garnett said."I've always let him know I'm going to be 'Sota," Garnett added. "And he's always let me know he's going to be in New York. So I guess we've got a problem."</div> Then you're one of those ppl that get eaten by athletes' public persona. Face it, athletes or public icons say what the public wants to hear. How do you know for sure he wants to stay in Minny if the team roster stays the same next year and there's an opportunity for him to play for a championship contender elsewhere? You think he will still stay in Minny? Doubt it. Those same "sources" feed their info to the public, ppl like us. We use that info to judge athletes/ public icons. Why do the majority of ppl hate Kobe? For his arrogance? How do you know that he's arrogant for sure? What if Kobe is a great person to talk to, is a pretty cool to hang around with...? A pretty funny guy? I don't know... but the media gives the information to us and we tend to take all that info that's available.KG is a human too. He has patience and like all people, it can wear thin. He only says the right things not because he wants to be a goody-goody public image guy, but it's because <u>that's how the world works</u>.Now, let's be clear I'm not trying to say that KG is leaving Minny, or Minny is gonna be doomed or that I wish it happen. Not at all... in fact, I wish he stays in Minny and that the team can once again go to the playoffs... but to assume that he's loyal to the organization for the things he said to the media is just... unreal. I think KG is a loyal person indeed but if you come out and say, "there is 0% chance he will bolt Minny for Detroit Pistons (e.g. for Rasheed Wallace + scrubs) next year". He might stay, but it's too unreal to be true. Not especially after he said this in the following article:<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"I don't want to go through this any more," Garnett said after the Wolves squeaked out a win over the lowly New York Knicks on Sunday. "I think I'm more deserving of a better team""I don't think I can take another one of these rebuilding stages."</div>http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2387812

16. Mr Wolf

Mr Wolf BBW Member

I never said he would stay here if the roster is the exact same next season. I said, Garnett wants to make it work here and he wants to get some better pieces around him. The team will do that.Yeah, I guess I eaten by athletes' public persona. However, Garnett's been here for 11 years and has said that kind of stuff for all 11 years. Garnett ain't your average bear.

17. M*gic

M*gic BBW Member

You mean the team will try to do that. Well good luck... but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen. Pulling that Sam Cassell trade doesn't happen to any franchise every day. With the current roster containing such few trade baits, the team will have a hard time improving, unless it's able to find a diamond-in-a-rough (e.g. Boris Diaw)... then you might improve. But then again, what's the chances of that happening? Not every year. The T-Mac and VC situations might have had an effect on his decision to stay in Minny these last couple of years. Because of how bad both players ended their tenures in their previous organizations, both received plenty of bad reps... and when you're an athlete it doesn't help to have many enemies. You want to have as many friends as you can. Us fans are their "friends" too. The more friends they have, the more successful they are.

18. Mr Wolf

Mr Wolf BBW Member

Plus, he loves it here and his wife loves it here. I mean come on, his mentor was Kirby Puckett who refused to go elsewhere besides Minnesota because he loved it here. Garnett wants to be the next Kirby Puckett to Minnesota.I expect the team to make a run for Stephon Marbury. His value is low and not too many teams want him right now. Wolves could probably get him for a few of our role players (Griffin, Jaric, Hassell, etc).

19. JustBlaze

I agree that it could be a good move. I used to love Stephon, hated him after he went to the Knicks though. Right now he's probab;y my second least favorite player, so I would love to see him back in Minessota, getting his career going in the right direction again.