Gary Trent Sr. and Jr.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yeah both Stauskas and Trent are decent ball handlers, who can work a pick and roll. I think that was a big reason why they let Pat go. He was very limited offensively. I know Stauskas isn’t the most popular guy in here, mainly because he was signed the same day Ed was let go, but his game is still somewhat intriguing to me. The problem I have is Trent is even more intriguing, and he’s probably ready to go, making the Stauskas signing almost pointless.

Eastoff and dviss1 like this.
  2. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

3. 42N8Bounce

42N8Bounce Red Hot And Rebuilding

4. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

His production so far is why he's unpopular for me and some others, not because of the timing of the signing.

The problem is, Stauskas isn't athletic enough to produce much with his ball handling, and it limits him heavily. I also wouldn't consider him a "good" ball handler. In my opinion, he's slightly above average at best.

dviss1 and tester551 like this.
  5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

He’s making the minimum, theres no way there would’ve been the same outcry if he wasn’t signed the same day Davis was let go.

His lack of production is something, but he’s also been victim of some bad luck when it comes to getting a fair shake. Sacramento is Sacramento. He got playing time in philly but then they signed Redick. He had no chance in Brooklyn with all the guards they had. But theres still a reason why he was a consensus lottery pick. He was more than just a shooter out of college. He had excellent pick and roll production, he passed the ball, and he got to the line. He’s worth a look for the minimum. I just like Trent more. And the one year deal limits flexibility.

6. BigGameDame

BigGameDame Member

7. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I agree a lot of my dislike for Stauskus was the timing. Right at the opening of FA with Davis being told to leave shortly before that. The thing is when looking at the bigger picture they basically went and signed a guy for basically nothing at worst he spends a year on the bench but who knows maybe he plays well.

Scalma likes this.
  8. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Disingenuous article title.
    Everyone likes Trent, including me. But there is no way that the coach gives the rook priority over "vet" Jake at SF, or over "vet" Stauskas at 2G. So, he's our 4th string SG and 4th string SF. He absolutely will not get any PT anywhere near the start of the season. By the end of the season, he has a chance to play a few minutes a game, but Jake and Nick will have to suck, first.

THE HCP likes this.
  9. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Most likely, but if Nick and Jake don’t take and/or hit enough shots, I could see an aggressive Trent getting a shot.

HailBlazers likes this.
  10. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yeah but you can add Curry and Baldwin to that list as well. All of those guys would have to fail before Trent gets his shot imo.

11. BonesJones

Yeah, just like rookie Caleb Swanigan and Zach Collins didn't get a chance over Meyers last year... seriously?

Neil has said Trent will see spot minutes. There's no way they hold back Trent for a minimum-level one-year veteran o his way out of the league....

If he earns PT, he'll play. We're not holding back young guys because their young anymore, and Olshey has made that obvious.

dviss1 likes this.
  12. BonesJones

I don't think WB or Curry affects him. He's likely not going to steal their minutes but he doesn't need to. I think they see him as a 3 going forward, and it'll be between him and Layman to steal that backup SF job from Turner.

13. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

You might see Layman as stretch 4 if Swanigan or Meyers can't do the job. I see it will between Nik or Trent to get minutes in that 2nd unit. If Stotts has similar rotation like he had last year with Pat and Napier.

Eastoff and BonesJones like this.
  14. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    He'd still be behind Harkless and ET. So, not a lot of minutes.

Reep likes this.
  15. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Disagree.
    Collins and Swanigan were drafted so the coach wouldn't have to play Biebs anymore. Not the case with our 2 rookies this year. Trent may get minutes, but if he does it'll be because he can also play SF, and because players in front of him disappoint.

16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Nobody is stealing any minutes from Turner. That’s a pure fantasy.

17. BonesJones

Just saying that's who he'd have to beat out. Based off production Turner shouldn't be playing. It's up to the organization to bite the bullet and bench the money-man.

18. BonesJones

I actually like Layman in that role. He'd be a threat off the dribble at the 4 too. Might be the best spot for him.

dviss1 likes this.
  19. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

No doubt Trent Jr. is way down on the chart, and the odds are he won't see much action at all. However, given the team's failures to be able to truly run the offense Stotts wants, supported by aggressive and good 3pt shooters, if several of the incumbents fail to produce, that cue gets a bit shorter. I hope that Harkless and Curry kill it from outside and Trent Jr. gets time to grow organically. My fear is that only Curry will consistently hit the outside shot and the rest will either not be aggressive enough or be too streaky. This might open the window for Trent if he can perform differently.

BonesJones likes this.
  20. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

This why they got training camp. Plus you never know about Harkless what frame of mind he will be in. Then if Stotts use a similar rotation like last year where Pat came in for CJ with 5 minutes left of the QT. Then Bazz came in with CJ at the beginning of the 2nd when Dame went out. So there is opportunity for either Trent or Nik to get minutes due to that Stotts might not want to play 2 6'2" guys together that Dame and Curry.