Gary Trent Sr. and Jr.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Aug 16, 2018.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I highly doubt tlwe see that same sub pattern. If Curry plays like how he did in 2016-2017, then he'll deserve 25mpg+.

Also, Curry has a taller standing reach than McCollum, FWIW.

dviss1 likes this.
  2. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Well yeah but we all know that’s not going to happen. They’re seemingly building the second unit around Turner

3. BonesJones

I wouldnt place any absolutes onnanything outside of Dame, CJ, and Nurk... especially in regards to Evan freakin Turner. Getting more shooters = building around Turner by compensation? I dont see it. I think they want more shooting in general. They want to try to get Turner in a better position to succeed, and have talked about it a lot this off-season, but I don't think that means they'll drown with him if thrown a life raft.

4. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I hate to bring up the i-word, but injuries, even minor short term ones, tend to get overlooked when people start talking about minutes. Last year Dame missed 9 games, Chief missed 13 and Moe missed 23 (ok, 9 of those were DNPs). Point being, if Dame misses any games, his minutes will be absorbed by Curry and Baldwin, freeing up their minutes for someone like Trent Jr. If Moe or Turner go down, Trent Jr., would be next man up.

Terry always tries different rotations over the first half of the season, and will make adjustments when guys get injured. There will be opportunities for Trent Jr. to get minutes. It's up to him to make the most of those opportunities, because what he shows the coaches then will determine how much PT he gets later in the season. The bad news, it's often difficult for a rookie to stay ready and fully prepared when he's not getting consistent PT. The good news is Trent Jr. has been around the NBA all of his life. He knows how this works. When the opportunities come, I expect he will be ready to take advantage of them.

BNM

5. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    By "you" they literally mean the out-of-shape computer jockeys reading this tweet.

6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

The way Turner is viewed by most fans isn’t the same as the way the team views him, neither by actions nor words. It’s been mentioned numerous times this offseason that they’re looking to have Turner be more of a facilitator next season. Already that’s a different role than anyone is built for on the bench outside of Baldwin. That would also take the ball out of CJs hands, which is music to my ears because he’s not a point guard. Turner is also one of the top three defenders on the entire team, and probably the most versatile.

But beside all that, when was the last time Stotts went from playing a guy 25+ minutes one season to nothing the next? Won’t even get into the financial motivations.

I just don’t see any minutes for Trent save injury. I don’t even see minutes for Baldwin, Layman, or Stauskas. All three of those guys would get a crack before Trent, just going by Terry’s history.

Wizard Mentor and e_blazer like this.
  7. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

So, if I read this correctly, the only bench guys you see minutes for are Curry, Turner and Collins. Are you suggesting that (barring injury, of course) Terry will basically go with an 8-man rotation?

8. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Sheeeeeiiiit! This little boy is going to get chewed up and beasted by ET , Chief and Mo! Kids gonna get baptized once camp starts. Only sweat he’ll break this season is bringing the vets bags to their rooms on road trips.

riverman likes this.
  9. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I think either Biggie or Meyers will get first crack at a backup spot next to Collins. Neither would keep Collins away from the basket offensively. They’d pretty much be power forwards offensively, floating on the perimeter, similar to what Collins did last season, and centers defensively.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  10. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Ah! Thought you might have been considering Meyers, but I completely forgot about Biggie!

Personally, Olshey's prior comments about the 3rd-year breakout--and his own hubris about his talent evaluation abilities--suggest to me that the FO will be strongly advocating to Stotts that Layman get a long leash early in the season.

riverman likes this.
  11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I mean I’d rather see that than either Biggie or Meyers. I think Layman would be more effective, on both ends, just as long as he shoots it consistently, which obviously is a big question mark right now.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  12. BonesJones

I love when people essentially repeat what I said back to me.

Here's what I said: "They want to try to get Turner in a better position to succeed, and have talked about it a lot this off-season".

1.) They'll go I'm trying to make use of him, I think that experiment will fail, they'll notice, and then they'll give others a chance.
    2.) Turner our most versatile defender? More so than Aminu and Harkless? C'mon man.
    3.) He's not a top 3 defender. Moe, Chief, and Nurk are all better than him defensively.
    4.) He sucks. They're trying to rectify him, but I don't believe they're as stubborn as you do.

"But beside all that, when was the last time Stotts went from playing a guy 25+ minutes one season to nothing the next?"...
    Last year. Maurice Harkless....

They'll all get an equal crack. Whoever's playing best in practice will get a shot. Layman got more burn his rookie year than Sophomore year. Caleb got burn last year. If Trent is killing Stauskas in practice, they're not going to play him over Trent. There's no short-term or long-term upside to playing Stauskas.

dviss1 likes this.
  13. BonesJones

I think Meyers will play backup 5 against bigger lineups, with Moe playing small-ball 4 against smaller lineups, which opens up more wing minutes. Collins could play inside with either.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  14. BonesJones

15. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    "Can Gary Trent Jr. Be The Next Wesley Matthews?"

Don't confuse Trent Sr.'s body with Jr.'s body.
    Jr. has a thin frame.
    Wes Matthews looks like a football player in pads, but he's not wearing pads.

16. BonesJones

What

17. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Whether

18. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I think Turner will play a lot up until the trade deadline; Olshey will be making an all-out to trade him then.

19. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Oh god, please don't tell me we're going to be "showcasing" Turner. We tried that with "former all star" Jamaal Magloire during Aldridge's rookie year. All it meant was a fewer minutes and a bunch of DNPs for Aldridge until after the trade deadline had passed (and no one was interested in Magloire - surprise).

If the plan is to trade Turner anyway, I'd rather just see Trent Jr. get his minutes from day 1. Develop the guy who is part of the plan over showcasing the guy who isn't.

BNM

20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Don’t do this to yourself. He’ll be here until his contract runs out. Maybe he’ll have some value as an expiring, but that’s best case scenario imo.

Wizard Mentor likes this.