Gary Trent Sr. and Jr.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Aug 16, 2018.

1. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Well, it's the only thing that makes sense to me. I can't believe that after all this time and all those turnovers that they think he is going to be a great facilitator.

2. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I would guess they will give him one last shot with the new shooters in the second unit. If it doesn't work by the trade deadline (or earlier if it really bombs) then I would guess they may change direction for the rest of the season.

3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Turner averaged even more turnovers in Boston, the difference was he also had the ball in his hands more and was allowed to create. I’m guessing that’s what they’ll go back to this season.

4. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    As Blazers, Crabbe played too introverted, and Barton too extroverted. Crabbe depended on the playmaker's pass before his catch-and-shoot. Barton dribbled aimlessly looking to pass like a playmaker. Under their new coaches, they may have changed; I don't know.

We all hope that Trent will combine the best, not worst, traits of those two. Olshey drafted him as a 1-dimensional shooter. So in Summer League, Trent was told to brainlessly shoot with no hesitation or conscience. He dribbled thundering down the court, knowing in advance that he would pull up and shoot without looking to pass, and missed most.

Maybe Olshey told coaches to develop Trent this season in this order: 1) Remove any Crabbe-like overthinking, 2) polish off any Barton-like goofiness. In Summer League, we saw 1).

5. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Its bad enough NO gets to put the roster together. Lets hope he has very little input on the coaching too.

tester551 and BonesJones like this.
  6. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    Soon after the draft (like Trent), Olshey's scouting notes guide coaches in where to start on a player's development. As time goes on, they figure out their own plan. But as we have seen, he still tells them to keep trying on certain players long after they would have given up.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  7. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

The only plays I remember Will Barton looking to make while he was in POR were plays for himself. Yes, lots of dribbling around, but always looking for his own shot. In his time in POR he averaged 5x as many FGA as AST. He also didn't come into the league with a 3-point shot (.299 3FG% in college compared to .402 for Trent Jr.). Trent Jr. made more 3-pointers (97) in one season at Duke than Barton did (76) in two seasons at MEM. In his 2.5 season in POR, Barton shot .198 3FG%. I expect Trent Jr. to shoot much better from deep as a rookie than Barton ever did in POR.

Rookie Trent Jr. seems much more poised than rookie Barton (who was totally out of control) and also seems to have much more confidence than Crabbe has ever displayed. Trent Jr. played in a very structured system at Duke with a specific role and he excelled in that role. I suspect his transition to the NBA will be much smoother than it was for either Barton or Crabbe.

BNM

8. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    This is all true... Sadly...

jlprk likes this.
  9. Boob-No-More

Our coaching staff has a great track record of developing guards/wings. I'm not worried about Trent Jr. or Simons. It's our young bigs I worry about.

BNM

10. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    I expect Trent will follow the Crabbe-Connaughton career track. Nothing in the next couple of years. Then Olshey will tell Stotts to play him. (Yes, those two undead zombies will be here till we're all gone.)

tester551 likes this.
  11. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

C Billups would call challenge you big time about GT2...whats your take on Billups evaluation of talent, Id like to hear it?

BonesJones likes this.
  12. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    He can make an all-star effort or a HOF effort. Olshey isn't getting rid of that contract unless he attaches something of value to it. Turner is a sunken cost at best.

13. Boob-No-More

I really hate playing shitty players to "showcase" them for a potential trade. Come on, everyone knows who Evan Turner is:

[​IMG]

Can we just give those minutes to someone else who has a future with this team? We're already $70 million in the hole on this one. By benching him, we'll at least save a couple hundred on replacement rims.

BNM

SheedSoNasty and BonesJones like this.
  14. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

I really don’t think teams “showcase” anyone. I feel like most GMs and people in the know have enough knowledge of players throughout the league. I do think showcasing is a concept made up by fans.

Scalma likes this.
  15. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

What was Billups evaluation of GT2?

16. Boob-No-More

I still have sour grapes about the Blazers showcasing "former all star" Jamaal Magloire during Aldridge's rookie year. Aldridge was clearly so much better, and of course, figured heavily in the team's future plans (he was picked ahead of Roy, after all), but they kept giving minutes to Magloire, right up until the trade deadline. Aldridge first played significant minutes in mid-November when Joel Przybilla was injured. He played well, much better than Magloire, but as soon as Joel came back, Aldridge's minutes dropped to single digits as Magloire was still eating up about 25 MPG that should have been going to Aldridge.

Anyway, different coach, different GM, but I still fear Turner will get more minutes than he deserves just because of what he's paid. Newsflash, we're not catching and passing GSW this year, or next. By the time we are ready to, Evan Turner will be long gone. As with Aldridge/Magloire I'd rather focus on developing the young guys who are part of our future than an inferior (but admittedly more experienced) talent who isn't.

BNM

BonesJones likes this.
  17. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Ver positive and commented he could very well be one of the steals of the draft.
    Said, he's a legit 1st rounder and mature made for the NBA. Has a good feel for the game knows how to get a shot off and get good position on a defender, just really talked him up.

18. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying and I agree for the most part, ET does not fit well in Stott's system and they might as well develop the younger wings who do. (i.e can shoot from deep) But at least ET works his ass off when he is on the court. Magloire could barely move.

ET looks like has lost some weight, hopefully he is a little quicker. We need his attitude on the court and we always need a guard who can defend. I think the coaches owe it to Dame to play whoever helps them win now. At least until the all star break. But hey if Trent can beat him out then give him the minutes. I just don't think he will on the defensive end. Not the first year. Next year is another story. I like the way they eased Collins into the lineup. Do the same with Trent.

Boob-No-More likes this.
  19. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I actually believe Olshey when he says that they had Trent and Simons similarly graded on their board. I think playing at Duke surrounded by elite talent put Trent in a box. There’s more to his game.

Eastoff, Hoopguru and Boob-No-More like this.
  20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member