Gee DNP?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by blue9, Mar 26, 2015.

1. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I never once called anyone a troll.....

magnifier661 likes this.
  2. blazerboy30

blazerboy30 Well-Known Member

Maybe if you throw a bigger tantrum and keep repeating old and tired cliches, that will change the stats and analytics.

magnifier661, dviss1 and Duvalier like this.
  3. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    A thread about Gee's lack of playing time ..... that's it, there is snow blowing down below!

4. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

He's the new Claver. Compare their stats.

Claver:
    10 games
    76 minutes
    PER = 7.6
    PPG = 2.4

Gee:
    9 Games
    74 minutes
    PER = 8.2
    PPG = 2.4

He played well in one game, that we lost. He's sat out the last three and we've won all three, but apparently his lack of PT is worthy of a 4 page thread.

All I can say is Portland really roots for the underdog. Doesn't matter if it's TRob, Barton, Claver or Gee, there are always posters here who think our scubs aren't scrubs and should be getting a lot more minutes. Gee could barely get off the bench for a crappy Denver team, but suddenly he's vital to the success of our team. Stotts was an idiot for not playing Claver and TRob, yet they both got cut by that same crappy Denver team. Claver is out of the league and TRob is playing on one of the crappiest teams in the league, yet Stotts was "holding them back".

It's Stotts' job to win as many games as possible. His job depends on it. I'm not saying his decisions are above reproach (it's not like I need to give anyone permission to criticize him), but the real head scratcher here is the timing of this thread. Stotts sat Gee and the two guys who took his minutes both played well and helped us get a much needed win that broke a 5-game losing streak, yet Stotts was criticized for not "rewarding" Gee with more PT. I'm glad he decided to reward the entire team with a win instead.

BNM

5. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Since you didn't quote anyone, I'm not sure who "you" is, but I don't recall anyone saying Stotts' decisions were above reproach. I think he's a good coach. Last season, we surprised everyone with one of the best offenses in the league. All the experts and about 90% of the forum posters predicted we've finish under .500 and miss the playoffs, but we won 54 games and made it to the second round of the playoffs for the first time in 14 years. But, our defense was suspect. So, this year, we now have one of the highest rated defenses in the league and in spite of injuries will probably win about 54 games again. Stotts has done WAY more than his two predecessors with far less talent. Jeezus, go back and look at the rosters Mo Cheeks had. They were fucking stacked, but couldn't get past the first round. Even when Nate had a healthy Roy, Oden and Aldridge, he couldn't get past the first round.

But, those guys both sucked as x's and o's coaches and Nate was the WORST head coach I've ever seen when it comes to adjustments. Stotts isn't in the same league as Greg Popovich, but he did out coach McHale in the first round last year. I predicted that before the series and listed it as one of our biggest advantages over the Rockets in that series. It's just so refreshing to have a coach that is capable of making adjustments over the course of a game, season or series. In the past, with Nate and Mo, I just KNEW whenever we headed into a series, we were going to get outcoached (Alvin Gentry OWNED Nate in that PHO series).

So, not saying Stotts walks on water, but on most nights he's not in way over his head, either.

No one has ever said that in this thread, or anywhere else that I can recall. You can, however, win a championship with a flow offense. Dallas did it, and guess who was the mastermind behind the Dallas flow offense - Terry Stotts. Dallas head coach Rick Carlisle has always gives Stotts full credit for designing the flow offense that was critical to the Dallas championship.

Go back and read my earlier posts in this thread. Who would you rather have posting up down low, LaMarcus Aldridge or Alonzo Gee? Who would you rather have driving the lane, finishing at the rim and drawing fouls, Damian Lillard or Alonzo Gee?

Yes, you need to be able to score in diverse ways, but having three other guys who can shoot from deep is the key to opening things up for Aldridge to post up and Lillard to penetrate. Aldridge and Lillard are our best two players and our ultimate success depends on maximizing their strengths. Go back and watch the 37-point 4th quarter of that Utah game. UTA is a VERY good defensive team these days, but we just tore them to shreds and the key was Wright (and to a lesser extent Crabbe) FORCING UTA to guard out to the 3-point line. Regardless of personnel, that was a clinic on how the flow offense is supposed to work. Our offense for most of last season, with a healthy Wes and better shooting Batum, was a thing of beauty. With Wes out, and Nic in a shooting slump for most of the season, we need other guys to help space the floor for the benefit of our two best players. Alonzo Gee just isn't one of those guys.

Sure, there will be spots when Stotts uses Gee for his defense, especially during the playoffs, but Gee will never get big minutes without killing our offensive flow and clogging things up for Aldridge and Lillard. During the 4th quarter of tight games in the playoffs, I expect Stotts to go with offensive/defensive substitutions in the closing minutes. He did that last year when he went with Rolo for defense and the the three guard line up on offense. Of course, it will depend on the match ups and situation, but that will allow us to use Gee's strengths, without his weaknesses killing us on the other end.

No, it's not like that at all. I do think for myself. I kept my responses in this thread on topic and didn't call anyone a troll. I actually watched the game, understood the decision Stotts made to play Wright and Crabbe over Gee and saw the results. I came here and shared what I saw without any input at all from Terry Stotts. I saw it with my own two eyes and explained it in my own words. How is that not thinking for myself. No one in the media asked Stotts about his decision to sit Gee in favor of Wright and Crabbe. So, it's not like I'm just repeating the party line.

BNM