Geek Help - ToysRus iPod Trade In Event Research

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by espn_hall_of_famer, Oct 17, 2010.

1. espn_hall_of_famer

espn_hall_of_famer Active Member

OK. I'm usually pretty good at the geek requests out there, but I've finally been stumped.

I saw the ad that ToysRus is having a iPod trade-in event this week where you can trade in up to three old iPod models towards a gift card to buy a new model. I have a drawer full of these old 1st and 2nd generation models and don't want to go drive to a ToysRus if they're only going to offer like ebay value of $10-$20 for these old models that are still in perfect condition.

So I'm trying to find a list of what amounts they are offering out there for these. Since the sale started today, there should be a hundred blogs giving different values of what folks are getting for their old stuff, but all I can find are people talking about the sale and quoting the canned ad saying "up to $100 depending on condition and model".

Therefore I'm putting it out to the expert data-miners. Can anyone even find an example of what they're offering out there for these items? Like the first generation grey Nano's or Shuffles? Just wondering since I got shut down.

2. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Up to 100$.

I think you can do better on ebay/craigslist.

3. espn_hall_of_famer

Well I knew that. I was looking for some blog/discussion threads where folks are telling about how much they are getting for which models of iPods.

I know the general theory might be that you could get a few dollars more on eBay or something like that. But then the point is I don't want to spend 15 minutes taking pictures and setting up entries and paying fees and having people negotiate and lowball offers. Then end up paying $5 extra for shipping or meeting up with some guy in some back alley of a McDonalds all for a $50 iPods that if I could get $40 from ToysRus, then I could just walk in and get $40 trade in.

That was really my point, do you get $40 for the $50 eBay item, or do you get $10.

4. espn_hall_of_famer

OK. I guess I just needed to wait later into the first day.

Looks like I can find some blogs on it now.

If anyone was interested, looks like 2nd & 3rd generation Nanos are around $15.

I'm seeing some 2nd and 3rd generation iTouches getting offers around $30-$35.

I've only seen one mention of a Shuffle and it was offered $1.

So maybe eBay would be better if they're giving like five cents on the dollar. Pretty crappy promo.

5. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

You'd think you could apply your little PER calculations and come up with an answer to your problem! Not so smart now huh?