Gerald Wallace

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Masbee, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

Sure, with matching contracts. Them's are the rules.

If Charlotte has as their number 1 priority to bank millions in savings THIS SEASON, and they decide that Wallace is the big contract they dump, then:

There are 3 teams (as I understand it) that can give them what they want.

Memphis. Oklahoma. Portland. That's it.

Memphis won't touch it with a ten foot pole. They dumped Gasol to save bucks. They aren't giving up those savings for an inferior player a few months later.

Oklahoma. Maybe they think about it. But, they have lost BOATLOADS of cash fighting, tanking, pissing off fans, moving, setting up a new place, and now the economy is tanking. Plus, they already have Durant and Green on rookie deals. Wallace doesn't fit their timeline. I can't see them doing anything.

That leaves Portland or nothing. Portland is not under the gun to make any deals.

That puts Portland in the driver's seat. Vroom vroom.

2. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

cleveland has wally z and his big expiring as well. although it would seem they would be looking for either a guard or a big though.

3. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I've targeted Wallace with hypotheticals in the not so distant past so obviously I like how he projects on this team. I also think he's a realistic target for bundling a couple players for an upgrade as I don't think the Bobs are built to win... and reportedly they've been losing $$$.

Okafor is undersized at the 5 and they've little other quality size. Morrison is healthy again and waiting in the wings at the 3. Joel + Martell/Travis for Wallace works for me at the trade deadline. Portland would get a stud wing defender/athlete entering his prime.

STOMP

4. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Very interesting thread. I don't usually like trade threads, but this one has me intrigued. The fact of the matter is that we have Raef's expiring contract which will be 80% insured after game 41. This is an extremely attractive option for a team looking to improve cashflow.

5. Masbee

Not the same thing.

If Charlotte trades for an expiring they will save money, but the savings won't start until NEXT season.

6. Masbee

Your deal won't save Charlotte any money this season. If Charlotte is not looking to save cash, but simply to parlay Wallace into two rotation players with matching salary, I think (if Wallace stays healthy this season) we would be outbid on that talent level by other teams.

7. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

of course it won't... salaries have to come close to matching for deals to go through unless one team has capspace or an exception. But after this year they could be down to just Joel who makes significantly less then Wallace with a shorter contract as well so there is the saved money.

Plus I think they'd likely be a more competitive team with Joel instead of Wallace and better teams tend to make more money. I'm sure that they are aware that their current mix is small and not very good.
    really? I see their biggest need (by far) as a quality Big to go along with EO... which teams have extra quality Bigs that are so much better then Portland's. Any of those teams with too many good Bigs have a need at SF?

STOMP

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  8. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=829~3239~1026&teams=30~30~17&te=&cash=

I bet I can do that with most teams.

9. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
  10. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

11. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

This doesn't even include the fact that any team that acquires Raef in a trade this year is going to have 80% of his salary covered by an insurance policy after the half-way point of the season.

If Charlotte traded Wallace (and filler) straight across for "RLEC" at the trading deadline they're only going to be on the hook for about 1.2 million dollars for half of a season and then they get all of his 12.7 million off the books at the conclusion of the season.

I have a few concerns about Wallace's durability, but there is no doubt that he is a very good, defensive minded small forward with a nose for slashing to the hoop and would inject a little dose of toughness into this team.

I'm not completely sold on Wallace, but I do agree that KP has some really nice pieces to offer in trade should the need or desire arise.

12. Masbee

I would guess you are very much in the minority in that opinion. I would guess few GMs would feel subtracting Wallace and adding Joel is an IMPROVEMENT to most rosters.

In Charlotte's case specifically, they already have a better Joel than Joel (I am repeating myself, why is that?), Emeka Okafor.

Joel is duplication of skills, not complementing.
    Right. Exactly. Hence the shipping of Frye to Charlotte. A big with complimentary skills to those of the paint dwelling Okafor.

As for other teams, who knows, but there are other teams with better prospects and better picks to deliver that they would be willing to give up to snag a Wallace caliber talent, thus easily outbidding us on a talent level.

Joel and Travis is NOT a gold plated prize package. It is just ok. Nothing more.

To restate, your proposal is not a better deal for Charlotte. They get a big that duplicates what they already have and who is older than Frye. They want that why again? You also ship them a one dimensional gunner as their "prize" when they already have gunners (Richardson and Morrison).

You don't give them cap relief RIGHT NOW. They have to wait until next season, and it is only partial. There is no way Charlotte does that deal.

I don't even like the deal for Portland as much. I would rather keep Joel than Frye right now, as I feel Travis and Diogu can cover the 4 spot better than Frye and Diogu can cover the 5 spot, AND, there are about 10 decent free agent PF's next summer that we can pursue to deal with that hole far more easily than backup center.

Also, if the deal were Joel and Travis, that would leave KP stuck with 3 restricted free agents to deal with next summer.

13. Masbee

14. Masbee

Except when you are desperate for money and you are concerned about a player's durability who is on a long deal.

You know, kind of like this situation.

I kinda like your proposal but only if Charlotte gives us a future 1st rounder.

Morrison and Carroll are junk. We are eating those salaries and I place no value on them. If they want Outlaw and the prospect (Koppenen) we need a pick coming back.

Charlotte just wastes their picks anyway, might as well give them to us.

Larry Brown would rather have a player (Outlaw say) than a future pick, so he might push for something like that.

15. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

16. Masbee

Actually, it does include this. This enormous benefit to a team that might trade for Raef, has been baked in as an assumption to this proposed deal from my first post. As I have said several times now, without that instant cash relief; 1) Charlotte probably doesn't do my proposed deal, and 2) other teams would make better offers.
    Wallace's durability is the only reason we can be talking about snagging a talent of his level for so little talent going back.

17. Masbee

18. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

Oh, I didn't know about Raef's insurance clause. My mistake.

19. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    Yeah, Carroll and the 'Stache are only in the deal for their contracts. Carroll can at least knock down a 3, so he should be a decent zone buster, even if the contract is brutal.
    Blake, Sergio, Bayless
    Roy, Rudy, Bayless, Carroll
    G. Wallace, Webster, Batum, Carroll
    LMA, Diogu :(
    Oden, Prz

That looks crazy good... or this variation (only works if Detroit wants a 3 point shooter) http://games.espn.go.com/nba/featur...6~1018&teams=30~30~30~30~22~8~22~22&te=&cash= to shore up that weak front line

Still, if Charlotte wants to lose salary, why wouldn't they trade Jason Richardson instead?

20. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Richardson has much better durability.