Getting to 100ppg

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by chzbrgr, Jul 29, 2015.

1. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I simply don't care about getting to 100 ever since they substituted the amazing chalupa coupons for shitty mcdonalds coupons that expire 5 minutes after the game.

You basically have to run full speed from the rose garden to the nearest mcdonalds in order to use it.

Edit: I know this wasn't the focus of your post, just sharing my thoughts.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    lawai'a likes this.
  2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    It depends on the pace the team plays.

The team will likely get 80-85 FGA per game. I don't see the guys other than Dame really being able to consistently create for themselves early in the clock.

At worst, if the team shoots 40%, on 80 FGA, that's just 64 points. There will be some of those FGA as 3pt shot, plus FTs.

102/game? I'm not so sure.

What is a solid plan is to have guys on the front line that can rebound missed shots and get you easy second chances.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  3. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

We'll have some bad defense that will inflate the PPG. I think CJ plays the backup PG and we have a default 9 man rotation.

Dame: 26
    CJ: 19
    Henderson: 9
    Legend: 11
    Vonleh: 4
    Plums: 10
    Aminu: 8
    Davis: 9
    Crabbe: 5

Total: 101

Kaman, another PG, Pat and Harkless will get minutes but this would be my default breakdown on a standard game; no injuries, and a relatively close score.

If Dame or CJ miss a game the offense could get real ugly.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  4. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I expect some bad defense and games where we give up 110 so other teams allow us to break 100 easily. There will be quick shots and transitions hoops that will ramp up the FGA per game. It will be very different from a Bulls offense. I expect we give up an average of near 105 PPG.

5. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    You need to take your Chicago Bulls hat off. 80 FGA?!?!

6. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Maybe.

But I don't expect per 36 minute performance out of more than 5 or 6 guys. That would be a short rotation.

7. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I wrote 80-85. With 4 high quality seasoned starters, the Blazers managed 86 last season.

Orlando managed 82.
    The Kings managed just 80.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  8. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Blazers scored 102.8 last season.

Theres no point in comparing last years starter to this years; we had 4 guys playing 35mins a night but this next season we'll have one. Our #2 scorer is very likely coming off the bench.

Edit: Ok I think you are talking about FGA. We had a good defense last year and would take our time in half court sets which reduces FGA. I expect more shots for Blazers and their opponents. Blazers also had some of the lowest FT attempts in the league and that will be far higher. We'll miss a lot more FT's but it'll still extend the game and increase scoring.

9. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

dame-25
    cj-16
    legend-14
    plumlee-10
    aminu-8
    davis-8
    vonleh-9
    crabbe-8
    pressey-5
    103 plus 2 so 105ppg. our offense will be above-average. but it our defense that scares me.

10. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

It wasn't because the Blazers starters were great or because they played at a fast pace. They got more possessions than the average team last year because of their offensive reminding and their lack of turnovers. They also got to the line less often, so possessions were more likely to end in a shot being taken.

I could see their shots per game dropping significantly if the unfamiliarity results in more turnovers, or if a more rim-focused attack leads to more free throws.

11. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Right. But to project all this scoring from guys as if they match their per 36 suggests they need to play 36.

That's all I'm saying.

If Stotts has them chucking up shots in the first 6 seconds of the :24 clock, both teams will get more shots. Obviously.

The issue I see is Leonard isn't going to either draw double teams or get particularly easy shots. He's no LMA, as you point out.

Hobbesarable and magnifier661 like this.
  12. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

The way I look at it, is if we have a starting lineup of Dame, Henderson, Aminu, Leonard and Plumlee and they all play 30 minutes, we should be able to get 70 points
    CJ will get around 30 minutes which should get us at least 14ppg

Our 2 bigs off the bench should be able to get us a total of 13ppg (36min total)

Factor in our backup SF (Crabbe, Harkless) getting 15 minutes a game and they should be able to get us 5ppg.

That leaves us at 102.
    We'll run more so I could see us getting a couple more per game

13. Duckhook

Duckhook Well-Known Member

I really see Henderson as our X factor for next year. He was stuck in a slow, plodding offense and I see us running A LOT next year. I see more points for him:

Dame: 26
    CJ: 15
    Henderson: 18
    Legend: 11
    Vonleh: 6
    Plums: 8
    Aminu: 8
    Davis: 5
    Crabbe: 5
    Total: 102

14. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

None of the players listed is at their per 36 except Dame and Cj other than that who is that far above their season avgs other than Vonleh?

No Lenoard is not going to draw double teams like LMA but he will stretch the defense more than LMA teams will learn to respect his jumper or pay the price. Opening driving lanes for cutters like Henderson and Aminu. The point is we are probably in for a team that is above average on offense and as of right now a mystery on defense. However, with a roster full of active and athletic players the chances are good we can play league average defense.

15. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

dames going for 30 and the 3 point record. he's also posterizing at least 1 big man a game. the trick there is he's only going to dunk on lamarsha so he has to do it 82 times to average 1 a game. and each one will taste oh so sweet

BonesJones likes this.
  16. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

There should be a number of the guys who score much more than their historical per 36. CJ as an example was the 4th option offensively when he was on the court but now he'll be the 2nd or 1st option. Instead of taking a shot when two other teammates have passed them up he will have the ball at the start of a play. His usage rate will be much higher and his scoring average as well. Same can be said for many of our players; they will have drastically higher usage percentages than prior seasons.

All of these Blazers are at points in their careers where its possible a few of them can increase their usage and retain the same effectiveness in scoring efficiency. My projections assume a few Blazers excel in larger roles of the offense than they've ever had. If none of these Blazers can handle a higher usage percentage it could really hamper our offense and lead to lower team scoring as I believe you're projecting.

17. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

I so love to watch the sunbeams and unicorns at play amongst the kool-aid fountains! :koolaid:

Nikolokolus likes this.
  18. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I like to mix my kool-aid with 151 Bacardi. BrianFromWa got me hooked on it when he was here.

dviss1 likes this.
  19. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Sounds like 1970s fraternity party punch: Kool-aid + 2 bottles of MD 20/20 + 1 bottle of 151 rum + 1 pint 180 proof grain alcohol.

Good times - what I remember of them! (some time I may have to tell you the story of Betty Ford's visit to U of O.)

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  20. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I remember parties like that at Uof O. Used to soak fruit in the grain alcohol and then throw that in the punch. Also never used the MD 20/20.