Getting Zib back has been huge

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Greyvtrayn, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

They were starting to click before he returned but they are a much better team with him in the lineup.

2. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

He was a monster today. You can see there is a huge different in talent between the Rangers and Devils. Rangers young defenseman are so much better than the Devils it's mind boggling. Fox reminds me in some ways of Leetch the way he plays. First guy to do so that I can remember. If he can improve his slapper a little, he can really put some points up on the PP unit. Lemieux was a huge get. He is Avery without all the stupidity and drama and he's bigger and tougher.

3. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    Lemieux reminds me more of a Prust than Avery

4. kreidertime

Prust was not a good skater and had no creativity offensively. He also wasn't an agitator. Avery was a very fast skater. He was just an a-hole.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  5. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

To me I think Lemieux and Fast form great wingers on the 4th line. That is what I would strive for. Maybe with Howden over the long haul (assuming Fast is back next year). That would give us excellent depth.

6. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

They need a Dzingel type to go with a Fast/Lemieux.

7. kreidertime

Lemieux is proving to be a lot more than a 4th liner. Fast will be dealt at the deadline. No interest in paying a 27 year role player 4+ million which he will ask for.

8. RangersFan

I need to see more O out of Lemieux before I call him more than a 4th liner. Guy has 3 goals, and that's with playing on the 2nd PP unit as well. That's 4th line production.

I understand why we like him, this team has been so soft for years that having a player with his grit very much stands out, but his production is 4th liner. On a very good team, that's where he fits.

Now maybe he has another level, but right now a 10 goal guy with grit says 4th line player on a very good team to me. And for what it is worth, that is a valuable role IMO.

9. kreidertime

His production is not that of a 4th liner. Do simple math dude. He's on pace for 34 points. 4th line players don't get 34 points and up. They get about 10 to 20 unless you have a unique 4th line. He's also getting real minutes for the first tine in his career. We have tools in our fan base that act as if he won't get any better. There is something else in this league called assists. Not just goals. I could care less if a 3rd line player has 20 goals and 15 A or 10 g and 25 A. Offense is offense. Either way, Lemieux is far more productive than a 4th liner. Howden on the other hand is on pace for under 25 points with more icetime so far than Lemieux. That's a 4th liner. I said from day one Howden should be centering the 4th line.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  10. RangersFan

He may get better, I agree. Right now today I think he is ideally a 4th line player on a team that is very good with SC hopes. That is how I think he'd slot in today. If he improves, which can happen for sure, then we'll see if he can elevate to a 3rd liner. By no means is he a guaranteed finished product today, he can still improve.

11. kreidertime

If you look at SC contenders, you would be amazed at how little production they get from their 3rd line. Almost all of them are 2 line teams with good special teams and a bunch of 20-30 point role players filling in. Look at Boston. They are a one line team with a below average 2nd line.

RangersFan likes this.